Making A Difference Now (MADNow) is an open forum to discuss any topic suitable for minors. This is the open door where you can talk about issues that are important to you. The intent of the group is to help solve problems and create solutions.
Code of Conduct Visibility: open Membership: application required Group Email: MakeADifferenceNow@groups.care2.com
Supporting your local economy sounds like a quaint old fashioned idea these days. There is so much talk of the benefits of being involved in the Global Economy that it seems almost odd to question this prevailing view.
But is it really good for all of us? Is it in the best interests of our local communities that big business fights measures being put in place to preserve our local environments and employee rights? Is it really in our best interests that any profits made in our community are sent to head offices located in other cities or worse in other countries? Just who is it that is really benefitting here?
By supporting our local economy we build stronger communities. It encourages us to get to know our neighbours, to look after our neighbourhoods and to be more self reliant as a community.
Want to know how to support your local economy? Check out this list and start to make a difference in your neighbourhood today!
1. Eat Local Try shopping at the local Farmer's Market. Its a great way to get fresh seasonal produce and to get to know your local producers. Or grow your own vegetables and swap your excess produce with the neighbours.
2. Shop Local Support local, family owned businesses. It keeps local money local.
3. Invest Locally Rather than send your money offshore by investing in Global Corporations, try investing locally. This way you can help support local organisations, individuals and entrepreneurs - and you know where your money is going. You can also be sure that you are investing with your values and directly benefitting your community..
4. Buy Local Renewable Energy If you have the choice buy your energy locally from renewable sources such as wind farms. Better still invest in solar panels and generate your own..
5. Get Involved Get to know your neighbours. Volunteer at local community groups. Stand for your local Council - or just attend the public meetings so you know what's going on. Read local newspapers. Join local clubs. Be an active member of your community!!
Can you believe it? Its May already! Time to vote for your favourite charity to help ME choose a charity to promote and support through this blog. So vote yourself and tell your friends. Leave a comment when you vote and you're in to win a divine Miessence Skincare Travelpack.