Interfaith Peacemaker CommunityPrecepts
Three Tenets (Three Pure Precepts)-Three Steps to Peace
1. Not-knowing, thereby giving up fixed ideas about ourselves and the universe. Ride the breath into Great Silence. Empty yourself and let go of all your knowing; let go into spaciousness.
2. Bearing witness to the joy and suffering of the world. From not-knowing, see as many positions of a given situation as possible. Listen deeply. Be inclusive and connect with many perspectives, without being limited by attachments and aversions and without fixing your position.
3. Loving actions towards ourselves and others. An impulse to action will arise. We call this action a loving or healing action because it has naturally emerged from not-knowing and bearing witness to the wholeness of a situation. Trust yourself Take action - do it! Offer your action with gratitude and love for the well being of all.
1. I recognize that I am not separate from all that is. This is the practice of Non-killing. I will not lead a harmful life, nor encourage others to do so. I will live in harmony with all life and the environment that sustains it.
2. I will be satisfied with what I have. This is the practice of Non-stealing. I will freely give, ask for, and accept what is needed.
3. I will encounter all creations with respect and dignity. This is the practice of Chaste Conduct. I will give and accept love and friendship without clinging.
4. I will speak the truth and deceive no one. This is the practice of Non-lying. I will speak from the heart. I will see and act in accordance with what is.
5. I will cultivate a mind that sees clearly. This is the practice of Not Being Deluded. I will not encourage others to be deluded. I will embrace all experience directly.
6. I will unconditionally accept what each moment has to offer. This is the practice of Not Talking About Others Errors and Faults. I will acknowledge responsibility for everything in my life.
7. I will speak what I perceive to be the truth without guilt or blame. This is the practice of Not Elevating Myself and Blaming Others. I will give my best effort and accept the results.
8. I will use all of the ingredients of my life. This is the practice of Not Being Stingy. I will not foster a mind of poverty in myself or others.
9. I will transform suffering into wisdom. This is the practice of Not Being Angry. I will not harbor resentment, rage, or revenge. I will roll all negative experience into my practice.
10. I will honor my life as an instrument of peacemaking. This is the practice of Not Thinking Ill of the Three Treasures. I will recognize myself and others as manifestations of Oneness, Diversity and Harmony.
A culture of nonviolence and reverence for life;
A culture of solidarity and a just economic order;
A culture of tolerance and a life based on truthfulness; and
A culture of equal rights and partnership between men and women.
These four commitments were agreed upon by representatives of 200 religions at the World Parliament of Religions held in Chicago in 1993.