I just completed a list of my top 40 favorite new albums of 2011, and thought I'd share them. Everything listed is either something I have bought, or would buy. What are your favorite new albums, groups, or songs of the past year? I love feedback. Happy New Year!
- Doublelbra (My username on lastfm.com ) I posted this list on Last FM as a journal. Find me there, and send me a friend request if you want!)
Judy C's Top 40 Albums of 2011 (In NO particular order)
1. Radiohead - King of Limbs
2. Bright Eyes - The People's Key
3. The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
4. Arbouretum - The Gathering
5. Mary Timony - The Golden Dove
6. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
7. Battles - Gloss Drop
8. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
9. King Creosote and John Hopkins - Diamond Mine
10. Caveman - Coco Beware
11. A. A. Bondy - Believers
12. Destroyer - Kaputt
13. Mogwai - Hard Core Will Never Die But You Will
14. Wilco - The Whole Love
15. The Antlers - Burst Apart
16. Peaking Lights - 936
17. Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'
18. The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck
19. Atlas Sound - Parallax
20. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
21. Wooden Shjips - Days
22. The Sister Ruby Band - In Cold Blood
23. Tarwater - Inside the Ships
24. Robbie Robertson - How to Become Clairvoyant
25. Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts
26. Feelies - Here Before
27. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Lenses Alien
28. Noel Gallagher's Hgh Flying Birds - Self-Titled
29. Cold Cave - Cherish the Light Years
30. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
31. Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here
32. Danger Mouse - Rome
33. Golden Dogs - Coat of Arms
34. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
35. Real Estate - Days
36. Thundercat - The Golden Age of Apocalypse
37. P.J. Harvey - Let England Shake
38. Wye Oak - Civilian
39. Yuck - Yuck
40. Tune-Yards - Whokill
Bonus: Three great EP's
Alberta Cross - Rolling Thunder (EP)
Typhoon - New Kind of House (EP)
Silversun Pickups - Seasick (EP)
This post was modified from its original form on 09 Jan, 6:58
In no particular order:
- Animals As Leaders - Weightless
- Paul Wardingham - Assimilate Regenerate
- The Franceso Artusato Project - Chaos and the Primordial
- Blotted Science - The Animation of Entomology
- Terrestrial Exiled - Duodecimal Levorotation
- Tesseract - One
- Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
- Scale the Summit - The Collective
- vildhjarta - Måsstaden
- Textures - Dualism
- The Arusha Accord - The Echo Verses
- Beats Antique - Elektrafone
- Phutureprimitive - Kinetik
- OTT - Mir
- Shpongle - The God Particle (EP)
- NERO - Welcome Reality
- Bluetech - Rainforest Reverberation
- Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy
- Haken - Visions
- DevilDriver - Beast
- Sylosis - Edge of the Earth
- Born of Osiris - The Discovery
- Fair to Midland - Arrows and anchors
- August Burns Red - Leveler
- Obscura - Omnivium
- The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
- Veil of Maya - [Id]
Sorry, I started my post right after the first one and right before the videos were published, so I assumed that this was just a list thread sooo ... going with the OPs intent:
Hello Pbrane, and welcome! Thanks for posting. Any way of doing it is fine with me. I like your choices, and I'm unfamilar with some things on your list. I'm always checking out new music, so this will be a treat.
Hi Judy and thanks. There's stuff on the list ranging from psybient to fusion to brutal/technical and even a couple of thrash things. The more brutal sounds tend to be a love/hate thing for most folk which is why I choose not to post any vids thereof. Nothing worse than getting your face blasted off when you're not prepared.
This post was modified from its original form on 10 Jan, 10:49
Buddha Bar~ Volume 13
Lady Gaga- Born This Way
Stevie Nicks- In Your Deams
Florence & the Machine- Ceremonials
This is so beautiful.
Those are some powerful videos, Michael.
Yes, I do. Thanks, Michael!
A. A. Bondy (AKA Scott Bondy) is the former lead singer of Birmingham, AL's Southern grunge band, Verbena. They broke up in 2003.
Robbie Robertson sings about leaving The Band for the first time on this track from How to Become Clairvoyant. His new album has an impressive lineup helping him out, including Eric Clapton, who co-wrote 3 tracks with Robertson, Tom Morello, Robert Randolph, Steve Winwood, Trent Reznor, members of Dawes, and more.
My list comprises my favorite songs from 2011, in no particular order
Coldplay - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Paradise
Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Cake - Sick of You, Long Time
Adele - 21 album
Foo Fighters - Walk, Rope
Florence + the Machine - Shake It Up, Dog Days Are Over
Radiohead - Lotus Flower
Kings of Leon - Pyro
Awolnation - Sail
Airborne Toxic Event - Changing
The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight
Death Cab For Cutie - You Are a Tourist
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
Bush - The Sound of Winter
- Cage the Elephant - Shake Me Down
I've been hearing this song, I just played it on Youtube and it is just AMAZIN!
Gotye - Somebody That I used to Knnow
Released July 2011
I don't think this was released in 2011, but i discovered it this year....
This post was modified from its original form on 07 Feb, 7:07
Lloyd - King of Hearts album July'11 (always on the radio lately) It's not bad either , really good beat.
WOW! Am I out of touch. Glad I am in this group to get up to date. Got to get busy and listen to some of this stuff.
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu was a musician in Yothu Yindi band. His latest album release is Rrakala. But my favourite remains Bapa (Father) from Gurrumul album -
The Golden Dove is a 2011 reissue of the 2002 album. Mary Timony is a great guitarist and singer, who has been in several bands, such as Helium, The Mary Timony Band, Soft Power, Autoclave, and currently Wild Flag.
This post was modified from its original form on 03 Mar, 6:03
From The Rolling Thunder EP