START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
Group Discussions
| track thread
« Back to topics
4 years ago

Dear Friends:  Sign, share and forward immediately! This Kentucky dog killer's pre-trial is tomorrow! Urgent action is required to demand that the judge give this cold-blooded animal killer the MAXIMUM SENTENCE!

According to ALDF, Kentucky has the weakest animal welfare laws in the entire country! This needs to change! ACT NOW! TY! Michelle >^..^<


Marc Staley, the Fort Campbell soldier who allegedly skinned his wife's dog last week and gave her the remains in a garbage bag, has a trial slated for Wednesday morning. He faces a misdemeanor charge of second-degree cruelty to animals.

To convict him of a felony, which would make him eligible for one to five years imprisonment, a prosecutor would need to show that he tortured the dog before it died.

But Hopkinsville police passed up the chance to have a veterinarian perform a necropsy, or animal autopsy, which would pinpoint the dog's cause of death. Detective Randall Greene said that when he arrived at the crime scene, a patrolman had already delivered the dog's remains to the Christian County Animal Shelter for disposal.

For the misdemeanor, Staley faces a maximum penalty of one year imprisonment and a $500 fine.

Wife seeks protection.

Staley, 42, has worked for the U.S. Army for 19 years, according to court documents. Property records show he belonged to the 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade at Fort Bragg, N.C. before he came to Fort Campbell.

He now belongs to the 159th Combat Aviation Brigade, but in another file his wife indicated that he was preparing to retire.

He has no prior criminal charges in Christian County, and a background check only yielded records of two misdemeanor theft charges from the 1980s.

Staley's wife, Ismelda Staley, 22, filed for an emergency protective order the same day her husband went to jail. In her application she outlined the events that led to the dog's death.

On the evening of Dec. 26, Marc Staley "picked on" her Jack Russell, named Baxter, while Ismelda talked on the phone with her brother, she wrote.

The dog bit Marc's hand.

He started choking the dog, and when Ismelda rushed to stop him, she noticed its tongue turning purple.

Marc pushed her onto the couch, then took the dog to the bathroom, drenched it with water and chained it up outdoors, she wrote.

He hardly spoke to his wife that evening or the next morning, though he talked to himself, she wrote. When he dropped her off for work at Dollar General, he said he planned to find her an apartment in Mobile, Ala. He would move to San Antonio, he said.

When her work shift ended in the evening, Marc never arrived to pick her up, and he wouldn't answer his phone, she wrote. She called a friend to drive her home.

She found the apartment empty, though a door was unlocked. Two of her dogs were missing.

Marc soon arrived with a single dog in tow. She believes he was drunk.

"… he asked me in a mocking tone of voice if I had found Baxter and if I had any last words for him," the file reads. "At this point I was scared and knew something was wrong. I asked him what he had done and simply smiled and said he killed him."

He dropped a black garbage bag at her feet. She saw the dog's bloody remains inside.

He laughed and told her the dog had it coming, and he threatened to kill another pet, she wrote.

The next morning she called the police, and Patrolman Mike Platero came and picked up the garbage bag. Greene arrested Marc in the afternoon at Fort Campbell.

The next day Marc received a court order to stay at least 300 feet away from his wife.

Read more: Animal Abuse: Dog skinned in bathtub - Hopkinsville, KY | Pet-Abuse.Com Animal Cruelty Database

4 years ago

Signed the petition !

4 years ago

thanks for sharing this

4 years ago

Noted and already signed. Thank you Michelle.

This thread is archived. To reply to it you must re-activate it.