38) New!! Pet.: Save Katarina the Orangutan in Malaysia from a life of hell http://www.thepetitionsite.com/533/097/179/save-katarina-the-orangutan-in-malaysia-from-a-life-of-hell/ This poor Orangutan possibly over 10 yrs old, spends her days, tormented & imprisoned alone in this Kuala Lipis Zoo in the state of Pahang. As a victim of the illegal wildlife trade she originally grew too big & was handed over to the Lipis Zoo where she's been living confined behind bars in solitary, inhumane conditions. What's worse is that due to zero supervision she's often mistreated by visitors who feed her trash & even try pursuade her to smoke cigarettes. We demand Katarina be released immediately to a sanctuary. We also demand those in charge of this zoo be punished for confining this poor creature to a life of misery & cruelty. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3821124
37) New!! Pet.: Indonesia: Close 'Zoo of Death' http://action.petaasiapacific.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=110&ea.campaign.id=25200 While it's too late for many animals, hundreds of others endure the zoo's hellish conditions every day. The Surabaya Zoo should be closed immediately, & the animals should be sent to sanctuaries or other facilities that are better able to care for them. The world is watching & waiting for officials to show their commitment to animal welfare. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3808266
36) New!! Pet.: Save Orangutans in Thailand From a Life Behind Iron Bars https://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/save-orangutans-in-thailand-from-a-life-behind-iron-bars?lang=de#share "If only we can overcome cruelty, to human & animal, with love & compassion we shall stand at the threshold of a new era in human moral & spiritual evolution - & realize, at last, our most unique quality: humanity." - Jane Goodall. In a raid that has only recently been reported, a team of Nat.l Parks Department officers & wildlife activists on Feb. 5 raided a private zoo in Phuket City & rescued 11 young Orangutans being held there illegally to serve as a tourist attraction. Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793477
34) New!! Pet.: Stop Abuse & Exploitation of Elephants at A'Famosa Resort Malaysia https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_Abuse_Exploitation_of_Elephants_at_AFamosa_Resort_Malaysia/?fpla The A’Famosa Resort, close to Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital, is 1st & foremost a golf & entertainment holiday resort. In the adjoining A’Famosa Safari Wonderland zoo illegally obtained (wild caught in Indonesia) Orangutans have in the past been discovered but the resort was never prosecuted. Orangutans (a totally protected Species) were being humiliated by making them perform tricks, play golf, ride bicycles, among others. The same Orangutans were then hidden behind public view in barren cages. Friends of the Orangutans exposed them for shocking treatment of Elephants: when not made to offer rides & perform in Elephant shows, the Elephants are chained in a cruel manner, up to 15 hours a day, with no readily available drinking water & food. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3750967
31) New!! Pet.: Stop the suffering at Surabaya zoo http://asiaforanimals.com/surabaya-zoo Every animal in Surabaya zoo has his sorrows but the true agony of Chandrika was hidden from the public. 3 months ago, in severe pain & despair, she bit off her tongue. LET'S SPEAK AS LOUD AS WE CAN FOR UNFORTUNATE ANIMALS AT SURABAYA ZOO! Desanka S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/293338294/3730178
32) New!! Action: THE WILD ANGEL FROM SURABAYA ZOO: CHANDRIKA'S STORY http://love-is-an-animal.blogspot.it/2014/02/the-wild-angel-from-surabaya-zoo.html
Melaka Zoo has been repeatedly criticized in the past for its cruelty to Orangutans & other Species. Supervision was totally void all over the zoo! We observed countless amount of people tossing junk food, including fizzy drinks, snacks laden with sodium and MSG to the Orangutans. One visitor even threw a lit cigarette at one of them & FOTO investigators had to stop the visitor from tossing another. Investigators also had to man the enclosure keeping an eye on irresponsible visitors. Melaka Zoo's disgusting attitude towards Orangutans must be stopped. Pls sign & share this petition widely. Click herefor pics Jill V.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/478413351/3460316
News: The Disturbing State of Indonesia’s ‘Zoo of Death’ http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/15/the-disturbing-state-of-indonesias-zoo-of-death/ - Approx. 15 animals at the zoo die each month-a figure that has actually decreased from 2 yrs ago. Disease, starvation, lack of exercise, overcrowding-even trafficking & revenge killing-have taken a grim toll. Michelle S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/357545291/3599007
News: Orangutans locked up in tiny cages at Malaysian zoo (Melaka Zoo, South of Kuala Lumpur) THEY should be swinging through trees but they are imprisoned in tiny cages with barely room to move. Campaigners discovered Orangutans being cruelly locked in for up to 24 hours a day by callous zoo-keepers. Some of the creatures, the world’s largest tree-dwellers, appear never to be allowed out. Abandoned by staff, they sit and stare from cages as small as 5ft by 5ft. The intelligent, red-haired Apes are an Endangered Species deserving iconic status in their native Malaysia - but are given little food or water at a zoo there. We don’t know how long it’s been like this but it’s months & possibly years. Other animals are in cramped quarantine at Melaka Zoo, south of Kuala Lumpur. In Mayalsia’s Johor Zoo, a chain-smoking Orangutan & an Elephant in chains were freed. To help these Orangutans, please email the Malaysian embassy in London at email@example.com or phone 0207 235 8033.
News: Shock revelation: the plight of Orangutans in Malaysian zoos-Cruelty to Orangutans in Malaysian zoos is rife, with the animals being forced to live in "barbaric" conditions & trapped in tiny cages.
The pitiful animals are kept in cages as small as 5ft by 5ft, with little food or water at Melaka Zoo, south of Kuala Lumpur. Orangutans, an Endangered Species native to Malaysia, are known to be among the most intelligent of all Primates. But they are left unstimulated and cooped up, with nothing to do but stare into space. "A species that should be the pride of all Malaysia is instead being treated like prisoners on death row." Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3068338
This Orangutan seems so ill: his body is very thin he is looking anorexic . We can see he is very weak. His temperature is high. There is blood in his face. In his cage, there is no place to hide from provocative bad visitors. The visitors also try to give him cigarettes. If he is not rescued very soon he will die. Besides the Orangutans, there are other animals in that zoo; Sunbears(Helarctos malayanus), Proboscis Monkeys(Nasalis larvatus), Gibbons(Hyobates sp), Long-tailed Macaques (Macaca fascilaris), & Monkeys(Macaca nemestrina). Deprived of food they are always starving; they only eat bananas once a day. Source:Danuta W.
28) New!! Pet.: Close the Surabaya Zoo in Indonesia http://www.thepetitionsite.com/658/087/987/close-the-surabaya-zoo-in-indonesia/ We ask the Gov.t to close this zoo & relocate the animals which holds many endangered animals that are kept in dirty, cramped cages without proper veterinary care & vulnerable to illegal wildlife trafficking. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3669588
27) New!! Pet.: Stop Abuse & Exploitation of Elephants at A'Famosa Resort Malaysia https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_Abuse_Exploitation_of_Elephants_at_AFamosa_Resort_Malaysia/?fbss This resort has been exposed by Friends of the Orangutans for shocking treatment of Elephants in their possession. When not made to offer rides & perform in Elephant shows, the Elephants are chained in a cruel manner, believed up to 15 hours a day, with no readily available drinking water & food. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3663882
Set Email Preferences!!
News: Indonesia’s Largest Zoo Morphing Into Endangered Animal Cemetery JAKARTA - Every single animal in Indonesia’s largest zoo may die in the next 5 years. That includes 13 remaining Sumatran Tigers & many other critically endangered animals. Why? Small, filthy cages, a staff stealing food meant for animals. An African Lion & an Australian Kangaroo also have died. And no one is doing anything about it.
Victory! Six Malaysian Zoos Close!!! http://blog.petaasiapacific.com/animals-in-entertainment/victory-six-malaysian-zoos-close
Six Malaysian zoos shut over poor conditions
http://www.theborneopost.com/2012/08/31/six-malaysian-zoos-shut-over-poor-conditions/ Victory has come! 6 Malaysian zoos closed after inspections by the Dept. of Wildlife & Nat.l Parks of Malaysia showed that requirements regarding food, cage size, & veterinary services were not being met. Cherhttp://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3469095
24) New!! Pet.: SAVE the Animals of Surabaya Zoo in Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia http://www.thepetitionsite.com/289/458/373/save-the-animals-of-surabaya-zoo-in-surabaya-east-java-indonesia/ - ANIMALS STARVED TO DEATH..NO MEDICAL TREATMENT...HERE IS A FACEBOOK LINK SEE ALL THE PHOTOS-PLEASE HELP..SIGN & SHARE FAR & WIDE!! Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/savetheanimalssurabayazooindonesia
Michelle S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/357545291/3599010
22) New!! Pet.: FOOD for Surabaya Zoo Animals in East Java, Indonesia http://www.change.org/petitions/food-for-surabaya-zoo-animals-in-east-java-indonesia -THIS IS A TRUE RED ALERT CASE: ANIMALS ARE STARVING! ACT NOW! Petition by Isa Villanen
Michelle S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/293338294/3599072
20) New!! Pet.: Dr. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono: CLOSE Surabaya Zoo http://www.change.org/petitions/dr-susilo-bambang-yudhoyono-close-surabaya-zoo - Surabaya Zoo known as Kebun Binatang Surabaya, founded in 1916, is the one of the largest zoos in SE Asia housing over 350 species. The zoo has fallen into disrepute due to widespread cruelty & corruption. SHUT IT DOWN! Michelle S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/357545291/3598667
18) New!! Pet.: Ask Government to CLOSE the Surabaya Zoo http://blog.petaasiapacific.com/animals-in-entertainment/urgent-alert-ask-government-to-close-the-surabaya-zoo#.UdHvT7dh124.care2 - Indonesia: Surabaya Zoo has recently come under fire again for keeping animals in severely crowded filthy inadequate enclosures & for the long list of animals who have died or gone missing at the decrepit facility. Pls. take action to help shut it down! And Pls also write to your nearest Indonesian embassy or consulate: http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/Indonesia/Indonesia1.html
Michelle S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/357545291/3603680
16) Pet.: Indonesia- Close the Surabaya Zoo http://www.thepetitionsite.com/230/423/458/indonesia-close-the-surabaya-zoo/
Indonesia's largest zoo, Surabaya Zoo, has to euthanize a 15 year old emaciated female Sumatran Tiger who was unable to recieve proper care due to lack of medical equipment and laboratory testing at the zoo that prevented veterinarians from examining her. Two weeks ago, a 13 year old male died from an undiagnosed digestive disorder. Sumatran Tigers are the world’s most critically endangered Tiger Subspecies.
thru 17 done!
When good news is delivered it's a wonderful relief; the bad news gets me right to the core and am compelled to make the bad turn into good OR eliminate the bad altogether -- that's why I do this...I want to help these animals in any way I can.
This is heartbreaking and shameful. Thank you for posting. Signed.
Signed all and shared to Facebook
Read and signed, tx. What a horrid photo!
Thank you for the excellent news. I hope the animals won't be killed but wioll be taken to sanctuaries.
Gudrun,what a lovely drawing.
I miss your daily pics...I guess we do what the site allows.
#15 already signed
#16 signed - thank you Michela!
This zoo must be closed. There is absolutely no excuse to starve animals. They are left in their cages and can't even look for food anywhere. Shameful!
Signed petition, of course.
Most already signed, caught up on others, thanks.
Signed all petitions (with a polite personal comment) that were still open. Thank you!
Thank You Michela...All Signed and shared
all that weren't closed.
and thank you very much LD B,for making it so much easier.
Horrendous. This is really shameful. I'd like to see the zoo keeper behind the same bars.
"Better to light one little candle than to curse the darkness"
CANDLES LIT, THANK YOU!!
News: Massive Illegal Ivory Seizures in Asia and Africa http://www.worldwildlife.org/who/media/press/2011/WWFPresitem23935.html?enews=enews1109c
Malaysia is now a prominent transit route of African ivory; USA has an illegal market for ivory, detections of illegal imports by US Fishand Wildlife Service increasing. August – Sept Seizures:
-Malaysia: 2 containers with 695 elephant tusks. Labeled “recycled craft plastic,” originated in Tanzania & destined for China; 4,500 pounds packed under plastic material;
-HongKong:794 pieces of ivory tusks, 4,000 pounds, inside a container from Malaysia. Declared “non-ferrous products” but African elephant ivory, under stones;
-Zanzibar: 1,041 elephant tusks destined to Malaysia, in a container of anchovies to discourage with its strong smell. Min. 500 dead Elephants
signed and shared thanks!
News: Perlis Primate park a ‘nightmare’
PETALING JAYA: Starving Apes and Monkeys coupled with the squalid conditions and an “indescribable” stench emanating from their cages located on the sprawling 25 hectare Perlis Primate Park has compelled a UK-based NGO, Nature Alert, to demand that the local authorities shutdown the park or face legal action. All that can be seen are starving, undernourished and untended animals.
The Park and its staff:described as “disgusting, shocking and wicked”
“The officials are living like Sultans while the Primates living or rather dying, like rats.
“They bring shame on their organization as well as on Malaysia and they should be fired”
they have such a good friend in you.
News: Malaysia: Shirley the Orangutan 'weaned off smoking' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14880804
"I'm only a single drop, ALL together WE are an OCEAN" inspired me, but except for a few Members, my continuous requests to "INVITE friends" are not heard... But I still continue to go to bed at 4:00-5:00 a.m. for Endangered Species & signed 7,442 Petitions on Care2alone since June2010 (not 2009 as profile says), as I'm convinced that WE MIGHT make a Difference!!!
It is nice to sign for giving positive reinforcement ( ) once! Good to give credit for others doing well! Thanks, this is important, too.
This is very important. Thank you Michela for organizing I'm sorry I could not sign all the petitions, some of them in the beginning had already closed. I hope we can make a difference and chimpanzees get the protection they really need.
All gladly Signed with Pride. Thank you my dear friend Michela
Signed, It is unbelievable how they treat these wonderful animals, it breaks your heart to see them in these horrible conditions..thanks Michela!
am up to date.
Signed, shared on fb and tweeted.
Thanks to any and all who forwarded some of these to me, and thanks Michela..1love
up to date
thanks for everything michela
Signed and thank you for all the work you do!
Noted, signed and shared!
In response to question by Dianne (but may also interest others):
I notice that you have 12 friends. Since many of us seem to share many of the same friends, it is quite possible that all of your friends are either already a member of this group or have recently received an invitation from someone else but have not accepted it (yet).
i checked to make sure that i have signed them all and i have
Signed and shared
Signed on Sept. 26 and shared. Grazie, Michela!
Monkeys have rights too. They just can't speak for themselves where we can. They have feelings to just as we do. Listen to when nature calls. Technology can't predict what wildlife can.
Already signed. Keep up the awesome work Michela.
Gladly and proudly SIGNED....! Now only if we could get the over 16 million Care2 members to sign these petitions. This would make a world of difference.
All petitions signed and shared. Thank you Michela and Abo.
Signed the 1st petition on August 29, 2011.
Signed the 2nd and 3rd petition a few minutes ago with comment: "The orangutans should be released to a suitable sanctuary and, if possible, rehabilitated and returned to the wild. Orangutans are intelligent animals and should not be kept in cages and used for entertainment."
Could not sign the petition for chimps because it is for U.S. residents only but have written to the U.S. National Institute of Health (NIH) and some universities over the past few years, including a letter to the NIH in 1994 using my "good old" typewriter. Have also written to the relevant European Institution about 2 years ago (I sent that letter in both English and Croatian). I have also written to a few television advertisers against using chimps and other great apes (the letters regarding advertising were prompted by PETA (USA)).
Unfortunately, I spend so much time on Care2 that I have not written any of my own letters for about 2 years and am not sure how to get around that problem.
Signed and Shared! Thanks Michela
Thanks Michela. I hadn't signed the last two. What a sick sense of entertainment people have sometimes.
Thank you too for the video, Michela!! I have also shared the petition on the Facebook.
Already signed the first one. And so sorry for the 2nd one. I thought I was able to sign because I saw "none" for other countries in the state. Then this message just came:
"We're sorry, but we cannot send your message because we were unable to find your ZIP code in our database. Please notify In Defense of Animals at firstname.lastname@example.org so they can update their records."
Thank you, Michela.
Noted & Signed for the smoking orangutan
Thank you Mic, mon amie
Noted what a terrible situation, at least she will have a better home..thank you Michela!
1,365 signed petition Help free 10 orangutans from Malaysia’s Alcatraz prison for Orangutan. Let’s hope that Prime Minister will put the welfare of these poor orangutans before the park’s owners! Thank you Michela.
Signed and Shared this petition.
the petition is signed. Thanks Michela for adressing this matter.
signed and shared on fb
thanks, signed.....we need to respect and work to save all life....
I adore orangutans
Poor creatures. Thanks Gustov for at least trying to sign. I know I put up Petitions on my Frog and Horse Group and people just don't bother to sign. I don't know why they joined, if they're not going to take an active part. Goodnight Michela and all my friends.
Thanks Michela. Already signed elsewhere.
Can't get the image out of my head of the contrast of these wonderful animals swinging joyfully free through the rainforest and now in prison. Just criminal!
THIS IS SO HEARTBREAKING AND MAKES ME SOOOOO ANGRY THAT THESE WONDERFUL INTELLIGENT DEAR ORANGUTANS ARE LIVING IN THIS HELL!!!!!
THEY ARE SUCH GORGEOUS LOVING INTELLIGENT ANIMALS IT MAKES ME SICK A HUNDRED TIMES OVER THAT SO MANY ARE SUFFERING DUE TO PALM OIL LOGGING, CAPTURED AND USED IN BROTHELS AS WELL AS CAGED FOR PETS AND OF COURSE ALL THE OTHER ABUSE. IT HAS JUST GOT TO STOP!!!!!
SIGNED AND LET'S HOPE IT FREES THEM!!!!
I signed it and I live in Italy!!!!!!
shared in Facebook too