185) New!! Pet.: Applaud Community Efforts to Combat Climate Change and Poaching http://forcechange.com/130074/applaud-community-efforts-to-combat-climate-change-and-poaching/#.U9UJIhOidyQ.care2 Goal: Praise project that reduces Deforestation & wildlife poaching while supporting the local community. In the Kasigau area of S. Kenya, one of the few places where hundreds of Elephants still roam, Wildlife Works Carbon’s pilot project seeks to halt both Climate Change & poaching of Endangered Elephants. In keeping with the concept of selling carbon credits, outlined in the U.N.’s 2005 Kyoto Protocol on global Climate Change, the project receives credits for conducting anti-climate change activities. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3791192
184) New!! Pet.: The Global People's Climate March https://secure.avaaz.org/en/join_to_change_everything_rb/?slideshow Join the global day of action on September 21st for a clean future --To change everything, it takes everyone -- let's get started! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3783635
183) New!! Pet.: Sign on to be a Climate Voter http://www.climatevoter.org.nz/ Make your vote count in the biggest challenge of our time! Being a Climate Voter means you care about Climate Change & you want all political parties to do something about it. It means you want real action on Climate Change & you’re prepared to use your vote to get it. It says you support strategies to rapidly phase out fossil fuels & grow New Zealand’s clean energy & low-carbon potential. Climate Voter is a non-partisan initiative powered by an alliance of New Zealand organisations. It aims to empower climate concerned citizens to use their vote in the Sept. 2014 election to make a difference for the good of present & future generations. Source: Sara P.
182) New!! Pet.: Support Climate Change Awareness Initiative http://forcechange.com/128017/support-climate-change-awareness-initiative/ Goal: Support initiative to affix warning labels to gas pumps to remind consumers of the dangers of CO2 emissions. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3782687
181) New!! Pet.: Support EPA's Work to Stop Climate Change https://secure.audubon.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1680 Submit comments to EPA today in support of this critical rule to reduce dangerous carbon pollution. You can send the sample comments below, or edit with your own words for even greater impact. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3782129
180) New!! Pet.: Tell Koch Allies in Congress: Climate Change is Real http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/254/153/489/ The Koch Brothers profit from producing toxic chemicals, harmful pollutants, carcinogens, & greenhouse gases, & they are funding climate deniers in Congress. Only 3% of scientists worldwide reject Climate Change science, but in Congress, 56% of Republicans deny that Climate Change is real. The oil baron Koch brothers have funneled over $30 million so far into 2014 Senate races to make sure that they will continue to profit from polluting our environment. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3763071
179) New!! Pet.: Don't Outlaw Climate Science http://action.biologicaldiversity.org/o/2167/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=15409 Flooding & storm surges endanger people in coastal communities, & Climate Change ramps up the risk by raising sea levels. We need our leaders to make decisions about our future based on facts.But North Carolina actually passed a law banning the use of Climate Science on sea-level rise in rules for coastal protection. Don't let other States go the way of N. Carolina. Overturn this anti-science law! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3757869
178) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress to Wake Up and Take Action on Climate Change http://www.wakeuptoclimatechange.com/ The science is settled. Climate Change is real, manmade carbon pollution is causing it, & it's within our power to limit the damage. Everyone from President Obama & NASA, to major Corporations & sports leagues knows that it is time to take action. Everyone, except for Congress. Despite all the evidence about the reality of Climate Change &the damage it is causing, Congress has so far failed to do anything about it -- lulled to sleep through this crisis by polluting special interests. We need to send a clear message that people want Congress to wake up. Add your voice to this wake-up call. Tell Congress it needs to act on Climate Change. Source: Kit B.; Dave C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/267569599/3750682
177) New!! Pet.: Tell the Environmental Protection Agency to Take Action to Fight Climate Change http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12419 Power plants are the country's largest stationary source of carbon dioxide. In 2009, the EPA found that by causing Climate Change, carbon emissions endanger both public health & the welfare of current & future generations. Robert T. http://www.care2.com/news/member/631213065/3742785
176) New!! Pet.: Ocean Acidification: The "Hidden Side" of Climate Change http://therainforestsite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/trs/petition/OceanAcidification?adId=112567&placementId=353042 As oceans absorb carbon dioxide, the gas alters the water's basic chemistry, increasing acidity & threatening marine life. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3714260
175) New!! URGENT!!! SIGN!!! Pet.: Huge Climate decision in hours http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_eu_climate_legacy_d/?bRRPsbb&v=34489 I SIGNED WITH ALL MY & MY FAMILY MAILS!!! EU Commissioners are meeting in days to set Europe’s Climate Change goals for the next 17years. Send your message to Commission President Barroso, urging him to seal an ambitious European Climate plan & secure a lasting legacy for his Commission.
-European policy must be in line with Climate science & include a carbon reduction target of at least 50% domestically;
-The EU must set binding targets for renewables & energy efficiency;
-These targets are crucial for investment in a new economy to create jobs & growth;
-The world will applaud & remember your leadership if you set ambitious Climate policy now. Source: Artur B.
174) New!! Pet.: Protect Deep-Sea Creatures From Climate Change http://forcechange.com/98889/protect-deep-sea-creatures-from-climate-change/#.Us6D9dmyrxQ.care2 Target: President Obama; Goal: Save deep-sea creatures by persuading our leaders to take more serious measures to slow Global Warming. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3697847
173) New!! EU only Pet.: End Ecocide in Europe: A Citizens’ Initiative to give the Earth Rights http://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/public/initiatives/ongoing/details/2013/000002/en Main objectives: 1. Criminalise Ecocide and ensure that natural and legal persons can be held responsible for committing Ecocide according to the principle of superior responsibility. 2. Prohibit and prevent any Ecocide on European territories or maritime territories falling under EU legislation, as well as acts outside the EU committed by EU registered legal persons or EU nationals. 3. Provide for a period of transition to facilitate a sustainable economy. Source: Waltraud U.
172) Action: "Writing Climate Change Back into History" Project http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/565979/emal/3847209 Pls help me make this a success!!!! I know that you care about Climate Change mitigation & adaptation & would love to be able to have access to great bios & projects by conservationists all over the world. We can make that happen with my new project - watch the slide presentation & read about it. Take a moment to check it out & also share it with your friends. All the tools are there. Get perks for your contribution & let's feel the success together! If enough of us get behind it, we can make 'Writing Climate Change Back into History crowdfunding documentation project' happen! Source Maria L.
Video: Writing Climate Change Back into History http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZovESrV3g
171) New!! Pet.: Stand Up to Big Polluters - Support the EPA's Action on Climate Change http://www.change.org/petitions/stand-up-to-big-polluters-support-the-epa-s-action-on-climate-change-2#share The Obama Adm. has proposed a critical plan to limit the industrial carbon pollution from new power plants that contributes to Global Warming. But if the Koch brothers, the coal industry & congressional Climate Change deniers have their way, polluters will continue to have free rein to dump unlimited amounts of harmful global warming pollution into the air. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3680239
170) New!! Pet.: Stop the Palm Oil industry’s assault on the Amazon https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/933/stop-the-palm-oil-industry-s-assault-on-the-amazon Un crimine nell’Amazzonia peruviana https://www.salviamolaforesta.org/mailalert/933/un-crimine-nell-amazzonia-peruviana The inhabitants of Tamshiyacu in Peru have called on us to help them protect the Amazon Rainforest against plantations. Int.l speculators have recently begun clearing the Forest illegally to make room for Oil Palms. We urgently need to put a stop to their activities! Pls join us in writing to the Gov.t of Peru. Source: Jade N.
169) New!! Pet.: Send a Message to the UN: Haiyan is a Wake-Up Call http://act.350.org/sign/haiyan/source=CREDO I signed with all my & my family mails!!! Michela - Last week, Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines — & left a path of destruction & tragedy in its wake. Gov.ts are meeting in Warsaw over the next 2 weeks for the annual UN Climate negotiations. This ritual has dragged on for years without conclusion, largely because the great powers have done so little. Let’s send a message to UN Delegates to increase ambition & action. Our team will deliver your messages to UN delegates gathered in Poland. Source: Sylvie C.
152) age=UserAction&id=8759&autologin=true&AddInterest=4142&" rel="nofollow" >https://secure3.convio.net/engage/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&age=UserAction&id=8759&autologin=true&AddInterest=4142&
122) Share Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTqKJFdbL0
Climate Change: Summary Petitions List:
3) Climate Ark Alerts:
168) New!! Pet.: Given Typhoon #Haiyan, UN Must Fully Assess Climate Change Risk & Feedbacks http://www.climateark.org/shared/alerts/sendsm.aspx?id=ipcc_reform Typhoon Haiyan clearly demonstrates the risk posed by extreme super storms intensified by abrupt Climate Change. Yet the Intergov.l Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is failing to carry out a comprehensive risk assessment that takes into account amplifying positive feedbacks & worst case scenarios. Without such a transparent & comprehensive climate risk assessment, that is free of Gov.t interference, the world finds it difficult to assess climate risk & is unlikely to embrace urgent emissions cuts, protect & restore ecosystems, & implement a global carbon tax. Demand such reforms at the IPCC.
167) New!! Pet.: Address Climate Change in the Wake of Disastrous Typhoon Goal: Cut carbon emissions that are raising the risk of increasingly catastrophic extreme weather! Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines with devastating winds & a massive storm surge, is one of the most powerful storms in modern history, also one of the worst weather-related disasters ever to strike the Philippines, believed to have killed thousands of people. At least as many as 10,000 people may have lost their lives. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3670912
166) New!! Pet.: Stop Biofuel Project from Destroying Endangered Rainforests http://forcechange.com/89439/stop-biofuel-project-from-destroying-endangered-rainforests/ Stop a Biofuel Refinery from destroying Indonesian & Malaysian Rainforests, incl. critical wildlife habitat. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3668423
165) New!! Pet.: Oil giant threatens 180,000 hectares of Rainforesthttps://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/929/oil-giant-threatens-180-000-hectares-of-rainforest?mt=1703&v=0&ref=nl Tell the Italian Gov.t & ENI to stop all imports of PalmOil. Demand an end to Biofuels from former home of 5000 Orangutans. Biodiesel Plant in Venice. Dianne C.; Waltraud U.; Irene S.
-180.000 Hektar Regenwald von Ölkonzern bedrohthttps://www.regenwald.org/aktion/929/180-000-hektar- regenwald-von-oelkonzern-bedroht?mt=1698&v=0&ref=nl
164) New!! Actions: NOPE SAYING NO to Industrial Bioenergy http://nope.org.uk/ Source: Col N.
-Stop subsidies for Biofuel power stations in Britain What can we do about it
-W4B’s new application to allow them to burn diesel from tyres could bring their palm oil power plans one
Watch Video: Stop the ROCs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDo-aT-bLWI&feature=youtu.be
Source: Col N.
163) New!! Pet.: Stop Playing Partisan Games on Climate Change http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/638/402/315/ Instead of taking action to combat Climate Change, the new Conservative Environment Minister used the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report to launch partisan attacks. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3658763
162) New!! Pet.: Tell newspapers: Don't publish Climate denial! https://secure.sierraclub.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=384EDFD2374AE623FB8E85FD353384FD.app207a?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=12213&autologin=true&s_src=413KSREGA1_NSRCO The L.A. Times has openly acknowledged that Climate deniers are flat out wrong. Just last week, they became the country's 1st major newspaper to ban Climate-denial letters to the editor! This could be a major tipping point for how the media covers Climate Change - a chance to get them to stop spreading Big Coal-talking points & start using the facts. That's why the SierraRise community is joining with our friends at Forecast the Facts to pressure other major newspapers into joining the L.A. Times. Together, we can push these journalistic institutions to get it right on Climate & turn the tide towards Climate action. Call on the country's leading newspapers to refuse any letters that deny the facts of Climate Change!
161) New!! Pet.: Stop Financing Climate Chaos http://act.ran.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8562 Banks, like Bank of America & Citi, are the ATMs of the Dirty Energy Industries fueling the Climate crisis. Since 2010 Bank of America has invested $128 billion in Oil, Gas & Coal Cos.-more than 8 times what it's committed to Clean Energy investments. Since 2010, Citi has invested $135 billion in Oil, Gas & Coal Cos. But the big banks recruit on college campuses bec. they can’t work without us. We have the power to change them, we already have. In 2009, grassroots efforts moved the country’s top 8 banks to limit funding for Companies that practice mountaintop removal coal mining. Now, a growing movement is winning campaigns for fossil fuel divestment. Let's push Bank of America & Citi further. Students are already calling the banks out on campuses across the country. They need you to call the banks out too. Banks must take a leadership role in building a healthy future by redirecting their investments into renewable energy sources. Send a clear message to Bank of America & Citi: stop financing Climate chaos!!
157) New!! Pet.: Join EDF in implementing real solutions for Climate Change http://theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ars/petition/EDF-JoinTheRealFight?origin=ETA_101413_EDF-JoinTheRealFight_f&utm_source=email&utm_medium=animalsta&utm_campaign=EDF-JoinTheRealFight&utm_term=20131014&utm_content=_f We've had enough of Climate Change naysayers - & we shouldn't try to change their minds. Instead, we need to focus on implementing revolutionary solutions to reduce carbon pollution so that we can change the trajectory of Climate Change. We don't just talk ab. Climate Change, we take bold action - & we want you to join us. Source: Dianne C.
156) New!! Pet.: President Obama: Make Arctic Drilling 'Off Limits' Forever http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/president-obama-make-arctic-drilling-off-limits-forever Shell has abandoned its plans to drill for oil in the Arctic waters off the coast of Alaska in 2013. It's big news. But just the start of something bigger. Now it's time for President Obama to abandon the idea of Arctic drilling completely & declare the Arctic 'off limits' to industrial exploitation, forever. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3657301
154) New!! Pet.: End Ecocide in Europe http://www.endecocide.eu/?lang=en Make Ecocide a crime, to protect our future! The destruction of our Environment is a crime, for which those responsible should be held accountable! This crime has a name:ECOCIDE – SIGN & SHARE Source: Waltraud U.; Annamaria R. http://www.care2.com/news/member/118608005/3656692?cid=email_na#
Watch Video: End Ecocide in Europe in a Nutshell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1uTDE5tayQ
152) Pet.: Turn up the heat on Climate denial age=UserAction&id=8759&autologin=true&AddInterest=4142&" rel="nofollow" >https://secure3.convio.net/engage/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&age=UserAction&id=8759&autologin=true&AddInterest=4142& Pls demand Steve King & the rest admit Climate Change is real &, more importantly, to start doing something about it. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3624880
151) New: Pet. Applaud Vatican’s Rainforest Conservation Efforts http://forcechange.com/70814/applaud-vaticans-rainforest-conservation-efforts/#gf_1 Target: Pope Francis Goal: Support the Vatican’s new efforts to conserve Brazilian Amazon & promote peace in the region. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3626469
149) New!! Pet.: Support a Bold Climate Plan http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/669/038/443/ Show the President that there's a groundswell of support for bold Climate plans like this. Let's send 50,000 letters & make sure he knows we're ready to do this -- & more. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3611609
148) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress to Act on Climate Change http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/848/955/661/ We can do something about climate change. We can demand action from Members of Congress. Now is the time to let our lawmakers know loud & clear that we want action. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3613367
Goal: Do not use fuel subsidies to fund Palm Oil energy in the UK
In the UK, Members of Parliament may soon vote to use subsidies on fuel bought by citizens to fund Palm Oil power development. This would destroy the habitats of tigers, rhinos, orangutans, & elephants. The proposal was introduced by the Dept. for Energy & Climate Change. Palm oil is inexpensive, much more so than other biofuels. Developers hope to create a demand for the cheap product, paradoxically marketing it as a form of “green” energy. The amount of land needed to produce palm oil far exceeds the amount of electricity it provides for a grid of the same area. In no way is a resource sustainable if it destroys land and communities in the wake of its progress. Ask members of Parliament not to use fuel subsidies to fund palm oil energy in the UK.
Source: Dianne C.
05/10/13: New research reveals that Deforestation is leading to a decrease in rainfall in the region, i.e.: as Brazil clears more Rainforest to make room for agriculture, productivity in those same fields has dropped due to reduced rainfall & rising temperatures, a direct result of the lost Rainforest. If Brazil doesn't reverse course, they risk the region's economic health as well as environmental health -- a true no-win scenario. Sign below!
Frans B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/774550352/3583375
The Brazilian Congress, influenced by the agribusiness sector, seeks to change the Forest Code in Brazil to open more of the Amazon Rainforest to be cleared. Not only will this destroy forested areas in the Amazon no longer protected by the Forest Code…
Frans B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/774550352/3583378
Many of us hear about the deforestation of the tropical Amazon rainforest, a natural paradise, but not many of us do much to stop it's destruction, but by signing this petition, to ask world leaders not to buy products from the Amazon rainforest, you can save this natural paradise & change the world from your desktop, so please sign this petition to persude world leaders to stop buying or heavily tax the use products that are from the Amazon Rainforest, & please tell your friends & family about this petition, thank you!
Frans B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/774550352/3583382
143) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress to Expedite Renewable Energy http://ecowatch.com/2012/expedite-renewable-energy/
Tell Congress to expedite renewable energy. We can transition to a cleaner, renewable energy future, but Congress needs to pass the legislation to get us there.
Source Dianne C.
141) New!! Pet.: Demand A Stop To The Belo Monte Dam http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/president-dilma-rousseff-brazilian-embassy-london-un-ep-eea-demand-a-stop-to-the-belo-monte-dam
By: James Howie - Target: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff
First of all I ask you all to sign, repost, tweet, share everywhere you can & keep pushing. We can stop this, we can save the Amazon, the people, the animals. We can stop greed from ruining our world. Take A Stand!! The Brazilian Amazon, home to 60% of the world’s largest Forest & 20% of the Earth’s oxygen, remains threatened by the rapid development of the country. The area is currently populated by over 20 million people & is challenged by deforestation, agriculture, mining, a governmental dam-building spree, illegal land speculation including the occupation of forest reserves &indigenous land & other issues...
Source: James Howie
See Also previous Petition 89) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/357/667/310/demand-a-stop-to-the-belo-monte-dam/
See also: Will mega dam destroy the Amazon? http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0418-amazon_mega-dams.html
140) New!! Pet.: Call out Climate deniers in Congress https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/combat-climate-deniers-now?source=site_20130425_cc_call_out_climate_deniers-now_hqb&utm_medium=site&utm_source=hqb&utm_campaign=site_20130425_cc_call_out_climate_deniers-now_hqb
My signature was accepted (Italian) even if it seems for US only
The science on Climate Change is clear. But many members of Congress are in complete denial, & they're standing in the way of progress. We need to call them out.
Beverly M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/904222254/3573753
Permanently ban ConocoPhillips from conducting offshore drilling operations in the Arctic Ocean.
We want European politicians to vote in the coming weeks to reduce pollution from new cars by…
Target: The Tribune Co. - The bankrupt Tribune Company is selling its daily newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times. Charles and David Koch — billionaire brothers notorious for their extreme politics — may be the buyers. According to the New York Times, the Koch brothers want to buy these media properties to push their anti-environment, anti-labor & anti-democracy agenda. We don't need more corporate control of our media & our politics. We need journalism that fights corruption — not hack writing that covers it up.
Source: David K.
Signed and shared all to Facebook
News: Forests & Global Warming
Forests can play a big role in the fight to stop climate change. Their role in the regulation of climate & water cycles is both important & unique. Forests & wild lands store vast reserves of carbon, shielding us from Global Warming. Most of the increases in atmospheric CO2 concentrations come from the use of fossil fuels (coal, oil, & natural gas) for energy, but few realize that about 25% of all Global emissions come from Deforestation & Clearing of Forests. When Forests are cleared & cultivated: the carbon stored in trees & soils is released to the atmosphere. When forests regrow, they take back carbon from the atmosphere & store it again in trees and soils.By protecting existing Forests & better land management decisions we can conserve & enhance existing carbon stores & prevent future greenhouse gas emissions.
The State Department has released their revised report on the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline and it downplays the overall effect of the tar sands on our climate. But science is on our side, and we need to show the president that there is a national movement demanding he keep his climate promises.
Source: Waltraud U.
Please join with the Center for Biological Diversity in signing our pledge to stop Keystone XL and stand with thousands of people rising up for future that preserves the animals and the wild places we all love.
National news networks play a critical role in informing the public of today’s most pressing issues. However, in 2012 ABC, CBS and NBC’s nightly news programs devoted only twelve segments on climate change throughout the entire year. Given the urgency of addressing the climate crisis, we urge you to give adequate coverage of climate change in 2013.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3563696
Commend NASA scientist James Hansen for his decision to leave NASA to dedicate himself to the fight against climate change.
Unmitigated climate change will cost Canada approximately $5 billion per year by 2020, and between $21 billion and $43 billion per year by 2050. Adapting to climate change makes economic sense. It can lower the cost of climate impacts by preventing damage, saving money & lives. We call on the Government of Canada to live up to its promise of ensuring Canada's long-term prosperity, recognizing the central role that a stable climate must inevitably play in achieving this goal and, to this end, adopt a National Climate StrategyCher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3564783
As oceans absorb carbon dioxide, the gas alters the water's basic chemistry, increasing acidity & threatening marine life. In recent weeks, unprecedented numbers of Sealions have washed up along California's shores, malnourished & dehydrated. Rescue organizations are at max capacity & have declared a "state of emergency" as they race to secure the resources necessary to rehabilitate these stranded animals. These recent developments only emphasize the urgent need for immediate action to protect our oceans. Sign the petition & explore "more about this issue" below.
Over the past 250 years, humans have pumped increasing amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2) into the atmosphere. While science &industry scramble to understand the full impact, oceans continue to absorb as much as a quarter — approximately 530 billion tons — of this excess gas. Extra CO2 increases acidity, reducing the amount of calcium carbonate in the water. Shell fish & coral reef, which rely on this mineral to build their shells & skeletons, are especially vulnerable to this process. Many larger fish rely on tiny marine snails & coral for food &shelter, so the effects of ocean acidification reverberate up the food chain, further depleting already struggling fish stocks.
Source: SJ J.
Shell has abandoned its plans to drill for oil in the Arctic waters off the coast of Alaska in 2013. It's big news. But just the start of something bigger. Now it's time for President Obama to abandon the idea of Arctic drilling completely & declare the Arctic 'off limits' to industrial exploitation, forever.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3561819
Target: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper
Goal: Stop plans to construct the environmentally destructive Northern Gateway Pipelines
Enbridge Oil Company has proposed building twin pipelines that would extend from Bruderheim, Alberta to Kitimat, British Columbia. The pipeline would cross many traditional lands, displacing several aboriginal communities. Neighboring cities & towns would face health risks & disruptions to their lives. The pipelines would also have a horrific impact on the Environment. The westbound pipeline would export crude oil & the eastbound pipeline would import natural gas. The pipelines would ruin wildlife habitats, including wild salmon that indigenous populations have relied on for years. Oil pipelines also release huge quantities of greenhouse gases into the Environment. Once greenhouse gases are in the atmosphere the negative impact on our environment is global. Don’t allow Enbridge Oil Company to ruin lives & destroy the Environment to make a profit. Demand that Prime Minister Stephen Harper end the plans to build the N. Gateway Pipelines.
Source: Dianne C.
Sign the Petition to join the millions who believe in protecting the Arctic. We want to create a global sanctuary around the North Pole, & ban offshore drilling & destructive industry in the Arctic.The Arctic ice we all depend on is disappearing. Fast. In the last 30 years, we’ve lost as much as 3/4 of the floating sea ice cover at the top of the world. The volume of that sea ice measured by satellites in the summer, when it reaches its smallest, has shrunk so fast that scientists say it’s now in a ‘death spiral’.
For over 800,000 years, ice has been a permanent feature of the Arctic ocean. It’s melting because of our use of dirty fossil fuel energy, & in the near future it could be ice free for the 1st time since humans walked the Earth. This would be not only devastating for the People, Polar Bears, Narwhals, Walruses & other Species that live there - but for the rest of us too. The ice at the top of the world reflects much of the sun’s heat back into space & keeps our whole planet cool, stabilising the weather systems that we depend on to grow our food. Protecting the ice means protecting us all.
Right now, after record low Arctic ice this fall delayed when polar bears could find seals, female polar bears with young cubs are trying to make up for lost hunting time—& are frantically looking for food to gain the calories needed to nurse their cubs. But this winter, we also have momentum on our side to put strong limits on carbon pollution fueling the climate change that is causing polar bears to suffer.
President Obama has the opportunity right now to start limiting carbon pollution that comes from coal fired power plants—our nation's largest source of carbon pollution.
Help protect polar bears by editing & sending a message to President Obama, urging him to announce strong plans to limit carbon pollution.
Each share will help protect one square foot of Rainforest!! It only take a minute to visit www.facebook.com/therainforestsite & share the video!!
What You Can Do & The Rainforest Site are teaming up this Earth Day to help protect the Rainforest.
Source: Kazimierz K.
The internat.l nongovernmental organization Global Witness is reporting a serious uptick in the number of environmental activists being assassinated across the world. This comes as natural resources dwindle & the stakes rise for protecting the Environment. These killings are extremely troublesome, because they bespeak a growing viciousness on the part of environmental profiteers.
Signed and up to date. I have seen climate change. Those who don't agree should look at my pictures. I went to Ocean City, Maryland in 1981 and returned in 2002. I could not believe my eyes.. the beach was almost gone. When I went years ago there was a lot of beach before the ocean now it's so close it's shocking. Thanks my Dear, Michela. Keep up the great work.
“Confronting the climate crisis is the challenge of our generation, & we urge you to honor the best traditions in American journalism by putting the focus on science & accurately reporting on Climate Change.”
The Polar Bears Need Us: Global Warming is reducing the amount of pack ice in the Arctic, which Polar Bears & other Canadian Wildlife depend on for survival.
Target: House Science, Space and Technology Committee
Goal: Remove chairman who does not believe in Global Warming
The House Science, Space and Technology Committee has named a Congressman who denies global warming as the new chairman of the subcommittee responsible for Climate Change issues. Despite the fact that 97% of climate scientists believe that global warming is a real & imminent threat, Representative Chris Stewart denies its effects. Ask the House Science, Space and Technology Committee to reconsider their decision & nominate a more qualified chairman.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3554780
Oh, my God! The plight of polar bears and their cute little cubs is terrible. Something must be done urgently. Signed petition 117, of course.
Goal: To demonstrate support for a newly proposed plan to reduce Oil Companies’ carbon emissions, a major cause of Climate Change.
A new piece of legislation on reducing harmful carbon emissions will soon be introduced in Congress. The bill targets the country’s largest polluters, such as Exxon & Shell, by forcing them to pay a fee for their carbon & methane emissions, & the revenues of the tax will go to American families as a way to offset the possibility of higher prices on the companies’ products.
Signed petitions 1-16 the others will sign later.
Michela,I agree with you as you said above that the major companies destroy our planet,and they do it just for greed.
What only a few people around the globe realize is that this material world will come to an end by the earth itselfs.The earth will fight back because of natural desasters and kill almost all humans.
A new heaven and earth will arise where some people lives,who are in perfect harmony with the nature,the plants,minerals and of course all animals.
This informative comes from Isaiah,who had lived 700 years before Jesus Christ.
Signed all I could. I am a member of the Sierra Club. We have to make them see. I have seen change with my own eyes'. This is so important to our future and the next generation..
The President said "for the sake of our children & our future, we must do more to combat Climate Change." With the reality of more extreme weather on full display—from the Midwest droughts to Superstorm Sandy & the massive Western wildfires of 2012, we see that Climate Change is already here. Not surprisingly, a majority of Americans want swift & effective federal action to confront this issue. Let the president know you support him in this fight & that he must act now.
The chief of all U.S. forces in the Pacific region, responsible for operations from California to the Indian Ocean, recently told the press that Climate Change is the greatest security threat to the Pacific region for the future.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3549249
In the UK, Members of Parliament may soon vote to use subsidies on fuel bought by citizens to fund Palm Oil power development. This would destroy the Habitats of Tigers, Rhinos, Orangutans, & Elephants. The proposal was introduced by the Department for Energy & Climate Change.
Secretary Kerry can advance President Obama's mission to create solutions that mitigate Climate Change & ultimately keep our environment safe. Please tell Secretary Kerry to act now.
President Obama is right: "For the sake of our children & our future, we must do more to combat Climate Change." It's time for Republicans to stop denying the overwhelming scientific evidence & start doing something to solve this critical problem. Tell House Republicans to take action on Climate Change before it's too late. Help us reach 100,000 strong saying it's time to take action on Climate Change.
Institute a carbon cap-and-trade system for U.S. power plants.
The State Department has just issued a terribly flawed environmental review of the proposed Keystone XL pipeline that papers over its far-reaching impacts on climate and our environment. Send a message asking President Obama to reject the review, send the State Dep.t back to the drawing board & fulfill his promise to address Climate Change.
Signed up to date, tx! (Isn't it TERRIIC that Shell's backed out of the Arctic for 2013?! Hopefully, enough will have occured by 2014 that they won't even reconsider...)
Target: Director of the UN Envir.t Programme, Goal: Stop the illegal logging & sale of wood from Madagascar’s Endangered Forests.
The forests of Madagascar constitute one of the rarest, most endangered environments on the planet. Three quarters of the 200,000 species found in the country do not exist anywhere else. Due to deforestation & illegal logging, a number of large species are now extinct & more than 80% of the original forest cover has disappeared.
Goal: To ensure that BP be forced to pay the highest fines allowed by law due to its responsibility for the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
British Petroleum’s 2010 oil spill catastrophe is finally coming to court, & although the accident was as disastrous as it was avoidable, the slippery corporation at fault is prepared to deny as many claims as it can. Urge presiding judge to exact the well-deserved maximum penalties & fines on BP.
Any day now, the U.S. government will approve or reject the proposed Keystone XL pipeline, which would carry oil from the tar sands in Alberta to refineries in Texas. President Barack Obama needs to hear from you now.He needs to know that Canadians support bold action to fight climate change. Some U.S. leaders fear that rejecting the pipeline will put relations with Canada at risk. Let them know that Canadians will applaud bold action to fight Climate Change. Every leader, in every country, has a global responsibility to create a cleaner, safer future.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3535865
The rainforests are a habitat for thousands of Species. Many loggers are cutting down the rainforest!! If the rainforest is destroyed, many creatures will become extinct, & the whole ecosystem will suffer.
To the Congress & the President: The time is now to stop fueling climate disaster on US taxpayers' dime. We demand Congress & the President work together to eliminate ALL subsidies to fossil fuels. We, & our children, cannot afford the $10 billion or more per year in handouts from the US Gov.t to Big Oil, Gas & Coal.Source: RANA A.
The 2 feet of snow covering New England this weekend is not just another nor’easter. It’s also further evidence of what global warming is doing to our weather. The big question is: will the media connect the dots? We're teaming with our friends at the Progressive Change Campaign Committee to make sure they do. Please sign the petition now to let the news networks know you want the full story to be told.Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3528836
The horrific consequences of the European agrofuel policy can be seen in Malaysia & elsewhere. On Borneo, a state-owned company is clearing 70,000 hectares of Rainforest to make room for Oil Palms. 14 of Borneo's endangered pygmy elephants were poisoned in recent weeks, because they inconvenienced the plantation companies. These plantations are certified by the “Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)”. The Palm Oil they produce is thus classified as “sustainable” by the EU & can be added to biodiesel.Sergio P.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/503872592/3534739
Completing signing on the climate and related topics. I'm delighted to see the breadth of topics in the group. Shell and the Arctic are huge for me. Thanks for the opportunities to sign, Jude
The Wolverine might be as tough as its larger namesake but the Species is still struggling to survive. After being nearly exterminated last century through uncontrolled persecution, these carnivores are also vulnerable to the new threat of Climate Change because of their snowy Habitat.
Belo Monte will destroy vast areas of pristine Amazon rainforest & biodiversity, causing the extinction of many rare species of animals & plants, affect the global environment & contribute to Climate Change. The dam will cause a mass flooding of the already endangered Amazon Rainforest, it will destroy thousands of natives homes, innocent people will die, lose their land, their rights & way of life, animals will lose their homes & many will die & massive section of what many including myself call the lungs of the world will be destroyed forever & for what ?... Money, Power, Greed, it seems that is all that man cares about & needs, more money, more control & will slaughter for greed, I ask you all to Sign this petition & send it to everyone you know, mail it, post it, tweet it & push it all over... The company will tell you it’s in the name of progress & that it’s for the people, the facts are it’s not for the people most of the power generated is for more mining, for exports & 30% to shareholders. so the people get nothing, greed, power &control for the money men, destruction death & loss for the people, animals & the planet, is it worth it? NO!
Source: May H.
By signing the petition below, you will help push President Obama to take meaningful action in Gov.t to fight Climate Change and show leadership on the issue.Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3522429
Last year, Arctic sea ice reached its lowest level in recorded history & if current trends continue, there could be no summer sea ice at all within the next decade. Imagine the consequences of a North Pole without ice. And to make matters worse, Shell has now been issued drilling permits to exploit the low Arctic sea ice levels.Nancy C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3520156
Video: Stop Shell from Drilling Off the Coast of the Arctic Refuge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71WDslhh6wE&feature=player_embedded Shell is supposed to start drilling in the Polar Bear Seas this summer—but they’re still nowhere near ready. The Coast Guard has found safety problems on Shell’s spill response barge, & the Co. still lacks proper equipment to limit air pollution or clean up a potential spill. Ask President Obama to stop Shell’s rash effort to drill in the Beaufort & Chukchi Seas without meeting the administration’s safety standards for this fragile Environment!
84) New!! Pet.: Thank President Obama for Prioritizing Climate Action https://secure2.edf.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=2061&autologin=true&utm_source=EDF%20action%20network&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=advocacy
In his second Inaugural Address, President Obama promised strong climate action. Over the last four years, America has taken great strides toward cleaner air, a smaller carbon footprint, and a healthier environment — but we've also seen the increasing severity and frequency of extreme weather events that destroy communities and ruin people's lives. Take Action: Thank President Obama for promising climate action, & ask him to follow through as soon as possible.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3519561
Real, dangerous.....thanks for keeping this thread going.....I hope Mr. Obama's call for action would be followed, but worried after lack of filibuster reform....keep signing petitions, care2ing, reducing, reusing, recycling, eating vegetarian, composting, offsetting and planting trees.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I would appreciate it if everyone would sign and share these:
Robert Redford: Help Stop Shell
80) New!! Pet.: Tell President Obama to get Shell out of the Arctic https://secure.wilderness.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=2511&autologin=trueThe Obama Administration has just given Shell a tentative go-ahead to begin drilling this summer off the coastline of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge — the Polar Bear's most important onshore denning ground in Alaska. According to the Gov.t’s own estimates, there's a very real danger of at least one major oil spill if Shell moves forward with full-scale production. Even worse, the oil industry has no proven method for cleaning up oil in the Arctic's ice-filled waters. So the death toll of oil-soaked and poisoned polar bears, whales and seals would be unimaginable.
Oct. 18, 2010 UN officials gathered at the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in Japan have issued a global warning that the rapid loss of animal & plant Species that has characterized the past century must end if humans are to survive.
Delegates in Nagoya plan to set a new target for 2020 for curbing Species Loss, & will discuss boosting medium-term financial help for poor countries to help them protect their wildlife & habitats.
Michela M.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/738959919/2574035
71) New!! Pet.: Tell President Obama to suspend Shell's Arctic drilling permits https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=1241&autologin=true&JServSessionIdr004=39kkfe2c03.app331a
Shell finally got its chance to drill for oil off the coast of Alaska this fall. It didn’t go so well. A series of equipment, permit & weather-related mishaps along with general incompetence prevented the company from drilling as planned. The failure was 6 years & $4.5 billion in the making & only confirmed what experts have been saying all along — that drilling for oil in the Arctic will never be safe. But Shell isn’t stopping. The company intends to try again in 2013 & the decision about whether or not it gets that opportunity is being made right now. This is our chance to stop Shell from drilling in the Arctic next year & beyond. Tell President Obama to call for a ‘timeout’ from Arctic drilling & suspend Shell’s permits.
Source: Ann P.
Noted. What's happening now is scary but has been predictable for years. In 1969 (as far as I can remember) we had the last cold Easter holidays. Only 7 years later, in 1976, we had the hottest summer we had ever seen. Now, we can't ignore global warming any more. But I wonder how the measures taken here and there could be sufficiently effective. On the other hand, there are still people whose only objective is to keep on looting the planet to make money, and to contribute to global warming without the slightest scruple. If things don't change drastically, I'm afraid we are doomed.
Way over here in Africa I breathed a sigh of relief when Obama was re-elected. There is hope for the world yet! The Ubuntu/caring that people showed during and after the Sandy deluge was heart warming.
I signed and shared on Facebook all the petitions. I also joined the anti-Global Warming movement. And I truly hope Mitt Romney will not win the today's elections in U.S.A..
And I thank you Michela, for all the great information on your posts.
The future looks terrible. And I really feel sorry for polar bears.
I agree with you, Michela. It might be more difficult to convince Romney.
66) New!! Pet.: Thank MTV for Helping to Break the Silence http://act.engagementlab.org/sign/climate_MTVthanks/?akid=270.62845.i7Eddb&rd=1&t=2
Climate Change is affecting Americans already, & it will continue to threaten future generations if something is not done. The entire series of presidential debates went by without a single mention of climate change by the moderators or the candidates--the 1st time that has happened since 1984. Finally, last Friday, MTV's Sway Calloway asked President Obama about the urgent threat of Global Warming.
Watch President Obama's response below, & sign our thank you to Sway Calloway for doing his part to break the Climate Silence.
Watch VIDEO!! Watch President Obama's response http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbwsuk3-cI&feature=player_embedded
Video: Climate Silence In The Debates: 2012 Is The New 1984 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tm8fpqM6MA&feature=player_embedded
Angelina Jolie is a Member of this Group!! I'm really proud & sincerely honored!! Famous faces at the 2011 UN Climate Change Conference http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/8916283/Famous-faces-expected-at-the-2011-UN-Climate-Change-Conference-in-Durban.html
NOAA Nat.l Hurricane Center: Global Warming has been raising sea surface temperatures around the world. The water off New England set record highs this year, meaning that Sandy will have more energy to feed from than usual as she churns North. Sandy will draw energy from the abnormally warm ocean just off the Atlantic coast. Note this is in Celsius.
The water off NJ is about 5°F higher than average, & set record highs in 2012. Let's consider what exactly makes Hurricane Sandy so "freak", & whether this freakiness may be a harbinger of the new normal.
There are at least 3 factors making Hurricane Sandy such a threat: 1) Warmer Oceans, warmer sea surface temperatures, 2) A "blocking pattern" shoving the storm back on shore, 3) A merger with a winter storm.
This freak storm certainly seems to match the warnings we've gotten over the past decade.
Science paper, 2010: Fewer but fiercer & more-destructive hurricanes will sweep the Atlantic Basin in the 21st century as Climate Change continues, by a new modeling study by U.S. Gov.t researchers.
Nat.l Research Council, 2010: the destructive energy of Atlantic hurricanes is likely to increase in this century as sea surface temperature rises -"America's Climate Choices: Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change". Nat.l Research Council, Nat.l Academies of Sciences, 2010
Carrie B.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/827551733/3477341
Wading through water after retrieving some of his belongings from his flooded trailer at an RV Park in Kitty Hawk, N.C., Oct. 29, 2012. Flooding from storms like Hurricane Sandy are increasingly likely as the planet warms
65 storm-related death toll across the Caribbean, with 51 of those coming in Haiti, pelted by 3 days of constant rains that ended only on Friday. As the rains stopped & rivers began to recede, authorities were getting a fuller idea of how much damage Sandy brought on Haiti. Bridges collapsed. Banana crops were ruined. Homes were underwater. Officials said the death toll might still rise. "This is a disaster of major proportions" "The whole South is under water." The country's ramshackle housing & denuded hillsides are especially vulnerable to flooding. The bulk of the deaths were in the southern part of the country & the area around Port-au-Prince, the capital, which holds most of the 370,000 Haitians who are still living in flimsy shelters as a result of the devastating 2010 earthquake.
Residents walk through the rubble from homes that were damaged by Hurricane Sandy in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba, Oct. 26, 2012
Noted. Whenever man interferes, he seems to do more harm to the climate and the planet. It's difficult to take the good decisions because he never knows all the ins and outs until it's too late.
Just come back to Rome this afternoon from Goteborg, Sweden.
Now it’s 6:15 a.m. here in Rome... but I still have to go to bed, still WORKING at my computer, sharing all these news…
VERY VERY SADLY……
Another scary piece of evidence that Global Climate could be in deep trouble......A changing Gulf Stream off the East Coast has destabilized frozen methane deposits trapped under nearly 4,000 square miles of seafloor, scientists reported Wednesday. And since methane is even more potent than carbon dioxide as a Global Warming gas, the researchers said, any large-scale release could have significant climate impacts.
Temperature changes in the Gulf Stream are "rapidly destabilizing methane hydrate along a broad swathe of the North American margin," the experts said in a study published Wednesday in the peer-reviewed journal Nature.Dave C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/267569599/3474874
News: Asian biofuels: Greenhouse gasses & food vs fuel http://asiancorrespondent.com/90839/asian-biofuels-greenhouse-gasses-and-food-vs-fuel/
Although biofuels emit less greenhouse gasses when burned, the Deforestation resulting from growing, for example, biofuel plants like Oil Palm in Indonesia, can result in more emissions than those that result from using fossil fuels. Corn & soya are also nasty culprits when it comes to global markets & Gov.t subsidies interacting & fuelling Deforestation.
Then there is the issue of food vs. fuel: crops used to produce biofuels are also important food sources. If money is the deciding factor, all too often starvation in poor countries can result from an ill-thought out, even if sometimes well-intentioned, scheme to reduce emissions.
After the European Union embraced biofuels as a solution to curbing greenhouse gas emissions back in 2008, reports surfaced on how the growth of the biofuel industry contributed to global food shortages & how clearing rainforests to grow biofuels (particularly in Indonesia) actually releases more ghgs than the fossil fuels they replace. Now the EU is changing its policy regarding first generation biofuels like Palm Oil & Rape Seed.
Palm Oil plantation, Indonesia
(Sept 5, 2009) Is Palm Oil ‘biofuel’ a complete waste & are Big Oil companies just incapable of getting it right? It’s like they just can’t resist doing the wrong thing. As is the case with tobacco companies & arms dealers, a conscience must be a liability in the energy industry if there is a lot of money to be made, especially if the money is quick. So paint this poison Green, sell it to the world & call it biofuel. The Palm Oil biofuel debacle is turning out to be a partly intentional scam where Big Oil Companies act like they’re doing something Green when they’re actually doing more environmental harm (& socioeconomic – see the food vs. fuel controversy) than they do by producing traditional fossil fuels.
Indonesia has the fastest rate of deforestation, losing an area the size of Wales every year. The expansion of plantations has pushed the Orang-utan to the brink of extinction. What’s causing this reckless Deforestation, Orangutan slaughter & planting of palms? Palm Oil is used for all kinds of things, including food, pharmaceuticals, household products & shaving cream. But those things have been around for years. The international biofuel revolution is just beginning. “Last year British motorists used 27 million litres of palm oil from Indonesia & 64 million litres from Malaysia”
Palm oil is the cheapest source for biofuel & therefore the least expensive (& most attractive) for large fuel Cos. Many of the Palm Oil plantations are unregulated & illegal, but most Oil Corporations don’t want to hear that. Ironically, Palm Oil is also used to make napalm, used as a method of Deforestation & a very direct way of killing plants, animals & people. Remember the famous photo from the Vietnam War of a naked girl running with her back on fire? Her village had been bombed with napalm, a horrific burning jelly made in part from Palm Oil.
63) New!! Pet.: Let's End The Climate Silence http://act.engagementlab.org/act/climate_silence_act/
From record heat waves to increasingly powerful storms, crushing droughts to unprecedented flooding, the impacts of Climate Change are now squarely being felt by all Americans. Yet, amazingly, the clear & present danger of carbon-poisoned weather remains thelargely absent from this year's presidential election. Demand that the candidates tell us how they plan to address the climate crisis!Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3473804 Climate change is here - & worse than we thought http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/climate-change-is-here--and-worse-than-we-thought/2012/08/03/6ae604c2-dd90-11e1-8e43-4a3c4375504a_story.html
Global Warming's Terrifying New Math http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719
The Supreme Court recently reaffirmed its controversial Citizens United decision, allowing Corporations to spend unlimited amounts of money to influence elections. This Citizens United decision, coupled with loopholes in current law, means that currently there's no requirement that Corporations report their unlimited political spending. How are we supposed to hold Corporations & elected officials accountable when we don't have information about which Companies are pulling the strings when it comes to Global Warming, or Clean Energy, or other critical Science policy issues? The DISCLOSE Act would require Corporations & other private groups to disclose their political spending to their shareholders & the public—increasing transparency & making them publicly accountable for their actions. Pls urge your congressional representative to co-sponsor this critical legislation today. Make your letter personal by adding in your own thoughts & concerns, customized letters have the greatest effect!
Read more how corporations corrupt science at the public's expense. Summary or the full text of the: DISCLOSE Act
Union of Concerned Scientists investigations have found that some federal agencies are, in effect, censoring scientists. Many Government researchers fear retaliation if they publicly express concerns about their agency’s work. And many report being discouraged from sharing their research with the public. It’s as simple as this: Censoring scientists puts people at risk.
Had that so true Cree Prophecy 'When all the tree's are cut down.......' stuck on my fridge for over 8years now. Each time I move it goes on the fridge before I unpack.
Reduce your Impact Locally, Nationally & Internationally http://climatecrisis.net/take_action/get_involved.php
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.: Our generation faces the greatest moral and political crisis in human history. Will we take the steps necessary to avert catastrophic global warming or will we doom our children to a new Dark Ages in a world that is biologically and economically impoverished and defined by ever diminishing quality of life.
56) New!! Pet.: Reject Romney's Big Oil Agenda! https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/SPageNavigator/clean_energy_jobs.html
Mitt Romney's energy plan reads like an Oil Industry wish list. He opposes: investing in Clean Energy, cutting Big Oil's special tax breaks & limiting harmful Global Warming pollution. Enough! Say no to the Romney Big Oil agenda. Oppose Mitt Romney's plan to line the pockets of his Big Oil backers at the expense of a Clean Energy future.
Video: TV Ad: Wind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupkzBwdYrQ&
Trees are one of the human race’s most valuable resources, & yet we cut & consume them at the rate of 3-6 billion a year. What other thing, natural or man-made, can absorb carbon dioxide, produce oxygen, clean the soil, prevent erosion & control noise pollution, using only free solar energy? Somewhere in our quest for industrialization, we decided that we needed quilted toilet paper & daily newspapers more than we needed these free oxygen factories. Deforestation is one of the planet’s most dire Environmental issues, & few people realize that by eliminating our Forests, we’re actually signing our own death sentence.
News: Colbert Decrys World War 3-Ply! America Flushing Last Old Growth Forests Down the Toilet http://www.care2.com/causes/colbert-decrys-world-war-3-ply-america-flushing-last-old-growth-forests-down-the-toilet.html
FAO Newsroom: Deforestation causes Global Warming http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000385/index.html
Confronting Climate Change, with Al Gore http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGrzYsVBRs&feature=player_embedded#!
Climate Action in California, with Scharzenegger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6b_Yd5ars&feature=player_embedded#!
Projecting Future Climate Change, with Steve Schneider http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMNmTa0V87k&feature=player_embedded#!
Protecting the Arctic Ocean, with Ted Danson & Oceana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98zs9gUdqNg&feature=player_embedded#!
I had read an article that global warming has stopt 16 years ago.
Please see in the link.
A Summer of Extremes Signifies the New Normal http://e360.yale.edu/feature/mckibben_summer_of_weather_extremes_signifies_new_climate_normal/2568/ This Summer: record heat waves & wildfires in the U.S; droughts devastated the U.S. corn crop & led India to set up “refugee camps” for livestock; the worst flooding in Beijing’s modern history; U.K. endured the worst flooding in modern history: these extreme events were not freak occurrences — this is how the Earth works now.U.S. Drought Monitor
I'm glad to read that most Americans believe in climate change. They still have to convince big polluters ...
Noted. If those people are middle-aged and have a good memory, they should not be climate skeptics.
News: How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/10/11/people-solutions/how-to-talk-to-a-climate-skeptic/
News: The Climate Post Oct.11, 2012 http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/10/12/climate-change/the-climate-post-october-11-2012/ This week: exploring the connection between Climate Change & extreme weather, trade sanctions against Chinese solar panels, & Iraq’s oil.
News: The Climate Post: October 4, 2012 http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/10/05/climate-change/the-climate-post-october-4-2012/ No debate about energy policy, green product labels, post-farm bill, & “liquid air”. Presidential Candidates Give Little Focus to Energy Policy in First Debate. Regardless of whether or not the candidates are talking about the issue, UN’s top ClimateChange official C.Figueres said whoever wins in November will be forced to confront Global Warming.
UN official: Climate skeptics are losing http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/259525-un-official-sees-climate-skepticism-falling
News: What Will Ice-Free Arctic Summers Bring? http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/10/03/mother-nature/what-will-ice-free-arctic-summers-bring/ All told, since 1979: Arctic sea ice minimum extent has shrunk by more than 50% & even greater amounts of ice lost in the corresponding thinning of the ice -the US Nat.l Snow&Ice Data Center(NSIDC). “Much more open Ocean than there used to be, the volume is decreasing even faster than the extent of surface area as best as we can tell” based on new satellite measurements & thickness estim.by submarines. Once sea ice becomes thin enough, most or all of it may melt in a single summer. Ice scientists began to think the Arctic might be ice-free in summer at the end of this decade-leaving darker, heat-absorbing Ocean waters to replace bright white heat-reflecting sea ice. Then what happens? http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=arctic-sea-ice-loss-implications Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3465365
Ice in the Arctic is increasingly melting, exposing dark waters below
Arctic sea ice coverage in Sept. has dropped 50% since 1980, & the drop appears to be accelerating
WATCH: Chasing Ice OFFICIAL TRAILER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZTMVNBjc4&feature=player_embedded Our Planet Is Literally Falling Apart - Chasing Ice is the story of one man's mission to change the tide of history by gathering undeniable evidence of our changing planet. Within months of that 1st trip to Iceland, the photographer conceived the boldest expedition of his life: The Extreme Ice Survey. With a band of young adventurers in tow, Balog began deploying revolutionary time-lapse cameras across the brutal Arctic to capture a multi-year record of the world's changing glaciers. As the debate polarizes America & the intensity of natural disasters ramps up globally, Balog finds himself at the end of his tether. Battling untested technology in subzero conditions, he comes face to face with his own mortality. It takes years for Balog to see the fruits of his labor. His hauntingly beautiful videos compress years into seconds & capture ancient mountains of ice in motion as they disappear at a breathtaking rate. A photographer trying to deliver evidence & hope to our carbon-powered planet. Some of the most compelling visual evidence of Climate Change to date, with batteries of time-lapse cameras recording entire Glaciers melting over a span of 3 years.
News: Climate Change & Fall Foliage: Not a Good Match http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/10/05/mother-nature/climate-change-and-fall-foliage-not-a-good-match/
It’s admittedly not on a par with the direct threats posed by rising seas or melting icecaps or extreme weather, but with autumn now upon us, it’s worth noting that Climate Change could also affect the brilliant foliage that paints forests from the Ozarks to the Appalachians with vibrant color every fall. The damage isn’t just esthetic, either: national statistics are hard to come by, but officials in New Hampshire estimate that leaf-peeping tourists pump up the state economy by about $1 billion each year. The estimate is about the same for North Carolina, & if you project those revenues onto New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine & other prime fall-foliage destinations, you’re talking about real money.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3464607
News: Aug. 15,2012 Greenland Melt Sets Record Weeks Before Summer Ends http://www.climatecentral.org/news/greenland-melt-sets-record-weeks-before-the-summer-ends-14814/
“The record for Greenland surface melt came in 2010, while the record melting for sea ice came in 2007. But 2007 was also a huge melting year for Greenland.” Combined with the faster slippage of glaciers toward the sea over the past decade or so, the prospects for rising seas over the next century & beyond are not encouraging. Even as the sea ice on the Arctic Ocean looks to be headed for a possible record meltback this year, scientists reported that the land-based ice sitting atop Greenland has already melted more than any time in the past 30 yrs -& that’s with another 4 weeks left in the melting season. The study, based on satellite observations, expands on a report in July that showed a record 97% of Greenland’s icy surface had undergone at least some melting during the summer season. The most straightforward reason is that air temperatures in the Arctic have been rising. Even at the highest altitudes on Greenland, where melting normally happens only for a few days each summer, it now lasts for weeks. Another factor is that when snow melts & refreezes, it becomes darker overall, so it absorbs sunlight more efficiently. When it melts completely, the ice underneath is darker still.
News: As Arctic Melts, Inuit Face Tensions with Outside World http://e360.yale.edu/feature/as_arctic_melts_inuit_face_tensions_with_outside_world/2577/ With Arctic Summer sea ice rapidly disappearing, the native Inuit of Canada are encountering not only unsettling changes in their subsistence way of life, but also a growing number of outsiders who will further transform their once-isolated homeland.
At right is part of the Northwest Passage, the legendary sea route whose ice-choked waters thwarted mariners for more than 500 yrs, but which are increasingly ice-free as the Arctic rapidly warms
News: Australia’s Great Barrier Reef on Brink of Collapse http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/10/australias-great-barrier-reef-on-brink-of-collapse/ Storms, crown of thorns starfish outbreaks & coral bleaching are responsible for decimating the world’s biggest coral reef, the AIMS. Powerful cyclones like Cyclone Yasi in 2011 damaged the reef with powerful waves. A bigger impact is the torrential rainfall on land that results in big floods that wash enormous amounts of fertilizers, pesticides, animal waste & sediments off the land onto the reef. That run-off affects the reef directly & also creates perfect conditions for outbreaks of coral-eating crown of thorns starfish. Storms & subsequent runoff directly account for 48% of the coral deaths. Crown of thorns starfish are responsible for 42%, with bleaching from too warm waters accounting for 10%. Only 3 out of the 3,000 reefs surveyed were unaffected. “A single crown of thorns starfish can lay 60million eggs & their larvae thrive on the plankton blooms that result from high levels of nutrients coming off the land”. Those nutrients are largely from agricultural sources – sugar cane & grazing mainly. Most of the GBR is found off the coast of the state of Queensland, which is Australia’s largest agricultural region.
Not a good candidate for President, that's for sure.
....a lack of scientific consensus on the issue (????) - does he read all the scientific warnings?
....the severity of the risk (????) - does he have children?
....the extent of the human contribution (????) - obviously CORPORATIONS & LOBBIES involved!!
is Romney joking??? or does he think that WE ALL ARE STUPID!!
This is a real offence to our intellectual capabilities......
News: The Climate Post - September 6 http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/09/07/climate-change/the-climate-post-september-6/
Presidential Candidates: about Climate Change - As campaigning for the November presidential election moves forward, President Barack Obama & his Republican challenger Mitt Romney spelled out their interpretations on one issue in a bit more detail than usual. To Science Debate, Obama identifies ClimateChange as one of the most pressing concerns of the era & lists the steps he has taken during his term to mitigate the effects Climate Change. Mitt Romney agrees that “human activity contributes to that warming, & that policymakers should therefore consider the risk of negative consequences.” But Romney offers a caveat: “However, there remains a lack of scientific consensus on the issue — on the extent of the warming, the extent of the human contribution, & the severity of the risk.”
More than 20,000 high-temperature records have been broken so far this year in the U.S. A new study indicates that the number of species grew when global temperatures increased during periods in the geologic past. The timescales involved, roughly 500 million years, may cancel out any benefits from the rising temperatures. Weather events linked to Climate Change could affect agricultural production significantly & cause dramatic food-price spikes within two decades.
News: Southwest US Forests could suffer greatly as climate warms http://www.enn.com/ecosystems/article/45025 Combine the tree-ring growth record with historical information, climate records, & computer-model projections of future climate trends, & you get a grim picture for the future of trees in the SW USA -a team of Scientists from Los Alamos Nat.l Laboratory. If the SW is warmer & drier in the near future, widespread tree death is likely & would cause substantial changes in the distribution of Forests & of Species –the journal Nature Climate Change.
Still, although we’re figuring out Ocean acidification faster than we did Climate Change, what we’re learning isn’t happy news…
"So bleak is the picture...that the bulldozer and not the atomic bomb may turn out to be the most destructive invention of the 20th century!!"
- Philip Shabecoff, American environmental journalist
When all the trees have been cut down,
When all the animals have been hunted,
When all the waters are polluted,
When all the air is unsafe to breathe,
Only then will you discover You cannot eat money.
Jimi Hendrix - "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Albert Einstein - "We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive."
52 petitions signed -- will return to earlier posts of Dianne where she listed several sites that i'd like to visit -- thank you to -- ALL of you who contribute so much to this group
News: Digging into Climate Change, U.S. Students Find More Than Science http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=digging-into-climate-change-us-students-find-more-than-science Using field trips, editorial cartoons & even parental objections, 4 innovative teachers are bringing Global Warming out of the Science classroom.
The unit represents the vanguard of a nationwide effort, pushed by education & science groups, to broaden Climate Change education into a variety of physical & social science classes in public school curricula. Yet even here, in one the most sophisticated Climate Change education units in the nation, teachers still feel the need to balance what the world's Scientific bodies know about Climate Change with what is represented in the public dialogue: avoiding terms like "Global Warming" & including a lesson questioning humanity's impact on the problem.Kit B.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/451276626/3461064
News: Is Climate Change Hell Now Inevitable? http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/09/25-0 “We have already altered the climate in ways that will cost us a great deal of money, kill millions if not tens of millions, & create a billion refugees by mid century. There’s strong evidence it’s about to get a hell of a lot worse. Positive feedbacks can effectively double the amount of GHG released to the atmosphere & the worst of these –methane releases from hydrates & permafrost-- is self-reinforcing, i.e. once started, it feeds on itself. More methane=more heat=more methane & so on. This process is slow, but inexorable, once triggered. Methane releases caused runaway warming that lasted for more than 150,000 years, & that today, humans are releasing carbon at 10times the rate that is thought to have triggered the releases. The Nat.l Renewable Energy Laboratory found that we could provide 80% of our power needs using renewable energy by 2050. A variety of policies would not only make that affordable, it would make it 1 of our best opportunities for creating jobs. Lengthening the amortization period & lowering interest rates on renewable energy could make the cost per month to consumers less than conventional power in many states. Allowing efficiency & on-site renewables to bid into forward capacity markets makes Clean Energy competitive with even the cheapest & dirtiest fossil fuel power for utilities. Feed-in tariffs assure that renewables will pay for themselves. Fuel standards could be raised to 50mpg – something that is achievable with several cars now available. Improved batteries have made EVs practical. Taxing embedded carbon on imports would force exporters to lower carbon emissions, eliminating the fear of foreign “free-riders.” Agricultural policies could make our farms & forests carbon sinks – removing carbon from the atmosphere – improving the quality & sustainability of our food supplies & soils. Yes, we can meet this challenge, if we haven’t bumbled into positive feedbacks like some planetary-scale Inspector Clouseau. But when it comes to actually using them & using them in time, I am hopeful, but I am not optimistic”. Kit B.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/451276626/3459054
News: Obama vs. Romney: A Stark Contrast on the Environment http://e360.yale.edu/feature/obama_vs_romney_a_stark_contrast_on_the_environment/2572/ Few policy issues separate Pres.Barack Obama & Mitt Romney more widely than Environment&Energy. Obama:human activity is driving GlobalWarming/Romney questions to what extent humans are responsible; Obama:support for Renewable Energy technologies/Romney: alternative energy should sink or swim on its own merits. Obama:USA can play an important role,setting standards that are environmentally&financially beneficial/Romney:the EPA: “a tool in the hands of the president to crush the private enterprise system” Their positions on 4 key issues: Climate Change | Oil and Gas Drilling Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency The EPA and Environmental Regulation Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3458222
News: Media Misrepresentation of Climate Change http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0925-media-misrepresentation-of-climate-change/ The world, it’s Climate & the Environment is going through some major changes courtesy of Global Warming & the rising temperatures. Scientists have released study after study sharing the devastating outcomes of GlobalWarming: but there are still people who are skeptical ab. whether GlobalWarming is real & if it is, whether it is man-made or not. The C.Change in the American Mind Report found: 14% in US don’t believe in C.Change. The Union of Concerned Scientists New Report discloses the media bias in US channels when reporting ab. Climate Science, as: FoxNews & the Wall Street Journal. 93% of the C.Change reff.by FoxNews: misleading & tend to ”broadly dismiss the scientific consensus that ClimateChange is occurring or human-induced” The Wall Street Journal: 81% of letters/op-eds/columns/editorials: deemed misleading. “Attempted to broadly undermine the major conclusions of Climate Science. Instances of: attacks on individual scientists, mocking the science, cherry-picking data, accusations that scientists were fudging data, claims that they are motivated by financial self-interest” Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3459408
…Changes in tree cover, esp. in Forests like the Amazon, are also expected in response to changing rainfall & more heat = to amplify Global Warming bec. fewer trees = less carbon dioxide soaked up out of the air. Polar ice cap shrivelled at unforeseen speed, “existing predictions of an ice-free N.Pole by 2050 were looking hopelessly wrong, I'm pretty certain we have now passed the tipping point for Arctic sea ice". Sea ice reached a minimum size of 3.41million sq.km, down from 7.4million/1980s, 6.8million/1990s & 5.7million/last decade. "The most radical projection is about 2016 & probably the most conservative projection is about 2030, for when Arctic will be ice free". Scientists are worried for the speed of events: the only way to stop these thresholds being crossed is to cut greenhouse emissions triggering these changes & there are few signs of that occurring."This is absolutely the critical decade for action" Climate Expert T. Flannery.
Steadily shrinking... Greenland experienced melting across 97% of its surface in June & July this year
News: Collapse of Arctic Sea Ice Has Reached Tipping Point http://www.readersupportednews.org/news-section2/312-16/13625-collapse-of-arctic-sea-ice-has-reached-tipping-point24 Sept.2012- As Artic sea ice hits a record low, scientific focus is turning to Climate "Tipping points": a threshold that, once crossed, cannot be reversed. US Proceedings of the Nat.l Academy of Sciences: there are ab. 14 known "tipping elements". Arctic ice cap: less ice = less white surface to reflect heat & more dark water to soak it up. This leads to higher temperatures, which will unlock more ancient greenhouse gases frozen into ocean depths & permafrost, speeding Climate Change, interfering with Ocean currents, Rainfall patterns & Weather. Advertisement: Next to the Arctic ice cap, Greenland experienced melting across 97% of its surface in June & July. Melts similar to this year's occur every century or so. If temperatures keep rising as they are, the ice sheet will start to disintegrate on a massive scale sometime in the second half of this century. Another 1.5 degrees of warming would push Greenland across the threshold into irreversible melt. There is enough ice in Greenland alone to raise sea levels off NSW & Victoria by 4 to 9 metres.
…Changes in tree cover, esp. in Forests
News: Global Warming Increases Tropical Rainfall http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0922-global-warming-increases-tropical-rainfall/
A recent paper, published in Nature Geoscience, has found that Global Warming results in an increase in tropical rainfall. Specifically, for every 1°C (1.8°F) increase in global average surface temperature, the rainfall in the tropics will increase by 10%.
The theoretical relationship between Global Warming & rainfall is nothing new: Scientists have long assumed that extreme precipitation will be the end result of rising temperatures since warm air can hold more moisture.
What a beautiful family of polar bears. This mother polar bear obviously loves her cubs, which love their mum, too. How tender they look.
52) New!! Pet.: Protect the Arctic from Overfishing http://forcechange.com/33928/protect-the-arctic-from-overfishing/
Target: Arctic Council Member States; Goal: Draft an Int.l Agreement prohibiting industrial fishing in the Arctic - Climate Change has shaken the stability of the Arctic region, changing the once permanent ice-based environment into one of seasonal ice & open water. As global temperatures continue to rise, this ecosystem centered on permanent ice structures will become vulnerable to devastating ecological & industrial changes. The Arctic, with its 4million inhabitants & unique animal Species, is undergoing changes never before seen in human history. The amount of permanent ice in the Arctic continues to shrink, so global industry will now have access to areas of ocean previously inaccessible, under the jurisdiction of Arctic countries (like Russia, Greenland, Norway, Canada, & the U.S.); but beyond the 200-mile maritime boundary new open water will be threatened by exploitation & overfishing, available to the industry of the world: without oversight & regulations.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3456300
Scary, indeed We desperately need changes before it's not too late. Thank you dear Monika for all you do, your committment is amazing!
TY for the article. It's pretty scary. But not surprising, though.
News: Ozone hole above the Antarctic is smaller than last year http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0719-ozone-hole-above-the-antarctic-is-smaller-than-last-year/
The ozone layer is the earth’s protective shield against ultraviolet rays. Reuters reports that the hole is probably larger than in 2010 and a complete recovery is still a long way off.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3454359
News: Expert: 4 years until final Arctic sea ice collapse http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0917-expert-4-years-until-final-arctic-sea-ice-collapse/ According to one of the world’s leading ice experts, the final collapse of the Arctic sea ice will take place in summer months within 4 years’ time.
News: Less Forest, Less Rain: Deforestation Reduces Tropical Rainfall http://news.yahoo.com/less-forest-less-rain-deforestation-reduces-tropical-rainfall-214509180.html?_esi=1
Deforestation can significantly reduce rainfall in tropical areas & beyond -A study published Sept. 7 in the journal Nature. Over a majority of the Earth's tropics, air passing over forested land produces twice as much rain as air passing over areas of sparse vegetation. Loss of forest cover can decrease levels of rainfall thousands of miles away. Deforestation has already reduced rainfall in heavily populated areas adjacent to the Amazon & Congo Rainforests. If Deforestation continues at current rates, rainfall across the Amazon basin could be reduced by more than 20% in the next 40 yrs. The team used newly available NASA satellite observations of rainfall & vegetation, & a computer model that predicts atmospheric wind flow patterns, to explore the impact of the Earth's tropical forests.
Amazonian Rainforest after rain shower
Thanks for all the new information. Change the climate and you will change nature, animals and people.
Those videos are interesting but absolutely alarming.
News: 5 Diseases on the Move in North America, Thanks to Climate Change http://www.alternet.org/environment/5-diseases-move-north-america-thanks-climate-change?akid=9402.163191.Ixc1gy&rd=1&src=newsletter711283&t=1
Some nasty diseases are making their mark on the U.S., possibly due to warmer temps & rising seas. When we consider the future effects of Climate Change in the U.S., we sometimes think super-hurricanes, intense wildfires & a flooded Manhattan. However, we may consider a lesser-known threat from rising temperatures & erratic weather. Climate Change may also be impacting certain environmentally sensitive diseases, & not in a way that will have us breathing easier.
Video: Climate Change: The Amazon Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uFkp6cJcM&feature=player_embedded
Video: Deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqHPTr_aLiY&feature=player_embedded
Source: Terry V.
Thanks Michela, so so scary. What will we do if all the forest and wild animals are gone? Will the human species finally realize what they have lost?
Michela you are an amazing Eco-Warrior.
Scrolling down this page am astounded at the amount you have covered, the width of your research and the scope of your knowledge. Space ship Earth is honored to have you aboard and I am unable to find words adequate enough to thank you.
News: Climate Change Will Extend Hay Fever Season by 6 Weeks http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2012/09/climate-change-will-extend-hay-fever-season-six-weeks
"There is no doubt that Climate Change poses a wide range of challenges to public health in the UK" said David Heymann, chairman of the Health Protection Agency (HPA). Hay fever sufferers face longer pollen seasons & highly allergenic new strains from invasive plants. Global Warming will cause earlier flowering, possibly extending the hay fever season by 6 weeks, & enable new Species to grow. Pollen is also getting more potent, packing more allergen into each grain. The report, from the HPA, analyses a wide range of risks including killer heatwaves, increased flooding, greater food poisoning & new infectious diseases carried by mosquitoes.Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3450561
News: Arctic Ice Melt Could Mean More Extreme Winters For U.S. & Europe http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/arctic-ice-melt-extreme-weather_n_1878833.html?utm_campaign=091212&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-green&utm_content=FullStory
The record loss of Arctic sea ice this summer will echo throughout the weather patterns affecting the U.S. & Europe this winter, Climate Scientists said, since added heat in the Arctic influences the jet stream & may make extreme weather & climate events more likely. The “astounding” loss of sea ice this year is adding a huge amount of heat to the Arctic Ocean & the atmosphere, said an Atmospheric Scientist at Rutgers Univ. in New Jersey. “It’s like having a new energy source for the atmosphere”- one of 3 scientists to discuss the ramifications of sea ice loss for areas outside the Arctic.Carrie B.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/827551733/3451213
News: Coral reefs in Caribbean on life support http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0911-hance-caribbean-coral-decline.html# Warming waters due to Climate Change have contributed to region-wide coral loss. Symbiotic algae, known as zooxanthellae, abandon the coral when water heats up, an occurrence known as bleaching. The decline of algae-eating species like Parrotfish & Sea Urchins, have left many reefs overrun by stifling algae. Only 8% of the Caribbean's reefs today retain coral, according to a new report by the Int.l Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). With input & data from 36 scientists, the report paints a bleak picture of coral decline across the region, threatening fisheries, tourism, & marine life in general. "The major causes of coral decline are well known and include overfishing, pollution, disease & bleaching caused by rising temperatures resulting from the burning of fossil fuels".
40 years ago, over half of the reefs in the Caribbean sported coral, but after decades of human impacts, only remote reefs in the region show coral growth up to 30%, still just over half that found in 1970.
News: Caribbean Coral Concerns: Reefs Face Collapse http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0910-caribbean-coral-concerns-reefs-face-collapse/
Sept. 10, 2012 - “The major causes of coral decline are well known & include overfishing, pollution, disease & bleaching caused by rising temperatures. There is an urgent need to immediately & drastically reduce all human impacts if coral reefs & the vitally important fisheries that depend on them are to survive in the decades to come.”The coral reefs, which habitat a quarter of marine wildlife, are severely endangered & have seen a steady decline in the past decades around the world. In Australia, the Great Barrier Reef has had a 50% decline in the last 50 years. Scientists have estimated that all the coral reefs in SE Asia could disappear in this century resulting in a 80% decline in food availability.
Bad news for the coral reefs in the Caribbean. A new report by the Int.l Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN): only 8% of the reef have live coral. The only area in the Caribbean that is not showing such morbidity are remote areas in the Netherlands Antilles & Cayman Islands, where 30% of live coral still remains. In the 1970s, this same Caribbean reefs had over 50%of live coral.
Coral reefs are a particularly valuable part of the marine ecosystem because they act as nurseries for younger fish, providing food sources & protection from predators until the fish have grown large enough to fend better for themselves.
News: Glacier Griefs http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0906-glacier-griefs/
Sept. 6, 2012 - The past 2 months have proven to be bad for glaciers around the world: due to Global Warming, many of the world’s glaciers are rapidly melting at unprecedented rates & are breaking off unnaturally. Unfortunately, there seems to be only more bad news to come.
In July, NASA satellites confirmed that an iceberg more than double the size of Manhattan, measuring 59-square-mile (150 square km), has broken off the Petermann Glacier in Greenland, & Global Warming was the culprit. A study (Nature Climate Change) by a glaciologist at the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Inst. of Tibetan Research in Beijing, & his colleagues, disclosing that the glaciers on the Tibetan plateau & the surrounding areas in the Himalaya are in rapid retreat. Then, in August, came the Seattle Times piece sharing the author’s anecdote of how much the ice fields of Glacier National Park have changed. A park ranger reportedly told staff writer Danny Westneat that “they recently revised the end date, because the glaciers are retreating much faster than expected, now they’re saying they may be gone completely by 2020.” If all this was not bad enough, the month of Sept. comes bearing more bad news for glaciers. Scientists have announced that the Iliulissat glacier (the Jakobshavn), is retreating faster than any other glacier in the world: just in 2012 (from Aug.2011 to Aug.2012) the glacier front lost an an area of 13 sq km.Petermann Glacier Breaks Off Another Iceberg http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0720-petermann-glacier-breaks-off-another-iceberg/ The Accelerated Glacier Retreat Of The Himalayas http://www.greenerideal.com/science/0718-accelerated-glacier-retreat-himalayas/ Tibetan glaciers shrinking rapidly http://www.nature.com/news/tibetan-glaciers-shrinking-rapidly-1.11010?WT.ec_id=NEWS-20120717
News: Shell's Chukchi Sea Drilling Halted For Safety Reasons http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/shells-chukchi-sea-drilling-safety_n_1872145.html?utm_hp_ref=green Sept 10, 2012 – ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Royal Dutch Shell on Monday was moving its drill ship off a prospect in the Chukchi Sea, a day after drilling began 70 miles off the Alaska coast because sea ice was moving toward the vessel.
Ancient forests have been there for thousands of years and now they are disappearing incredibly fast, which puts all life on earth at risk.
News: Shell gets EPA OK for Chukchi operations; drilling imminent http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/07/us-oil-shell-chukchi-idUSBRE8861CV20120907
Royal Dutch Shell on Friday received permission to operate an oil drilling ship & support vessels in the Chukchi Sea, even though the Company's activities there are expected to violate previously established air-quality standards, the Environmental Protection Agency said.
EPA said it granted Shell a compliance order allowing the company's fleet to emit pollutants at levels beyond limits set in a major permit issued to the company in January.
Ancient Forests: 8,000 years ago…
and Ancient Forests: …Today!!!
Source: wolf a.
News: Climate Change causing Forest Die-off globally http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0909-forests-and-climate.html
The study, by William Anderegg of Carnegie Inst. for Science at Stanford Univ. & Jeffrey Kane & Leander Anderegg of N.Arizona Univ., reviews dozens of scientific papers dealing with the ecological impacts of Climate Change. They find widespread cases of forest die-off from drought & elevated temperatures, which increase the incidence of fire & pest infestations like pine beetles. These effects have the potential to trigger transitions to other ecosystems, incl. scrubland & savanna. Already facing an onslaught of threats from Logging & conversion for Agriculture, Forests worldwide are increasingly impacted by the effects of Climate Change, incl.: drought, heightened fire risk, & disease, putting the ecological services they afford in jeopardy.
Rainforest in Borneo. Forests in SEAsia, the Russian FarEast, & the Amazon: particularly affected by drought over the past 20yrs. Roughly 1Million hectares of Amazon Rainforest suffered from severe drought stress in 2010
Redwood Forest in Marin, CA. The incidence & severity of Forest fires in the W.U.S. increased since 2000
News: Biodiversity Has Increased During Earth’s Warm Periods. But Climate Change Isn’t Off the Hook http://science.time.com/2012/09/04/biodiversity-has-increased-during-earths-warm-periods-but-climate-change-isnt-off-the-hook/
A new study indicates that the number of species grew when global temperatures increased during periods in the geologic past. But that may not matter when it comes to rapid, man-made Climate Change.
News: The world's lungs - There is hope for forests, but mankind needs to move faster if they are to be saved http://www.economist.com/node/17093495?story_id=17093495&subjectID=348924&fsrc=nwl.(Sep 23, 2010) Clearing Forests may enrich those who are doing it, but over the long run it impoverishes the planet as a whole. Rainforests are an important prop to continental water-cycles. Losing the Amazon rainforest could reduce rainfall across the Americas, with potentially dire consequences for farmers as far away as Texas. By regulating run-off, trees help guarantee water-supplies & prevent natural disasters, like landslides & floods. Losing the Rainforest would mean losing Millions of Species; Forests contain 80% of terrestrial Biodiversity. And for those concerned about the probable effects of Climate Change, Forests contain twice as much carbon as the atmosphere, in plant-matter & the soils they cover, & when they are razed & their soils disturbed most is emitted. If the Amazon went up in smoke—a scenario which a bit more clearance & a bit more warming makes conceivable—it would spew out more than a decade's worth of fossil-fuel emissions.
News: The Planet’s Lungs: Dangers to the World’s Forests-& How to Save Them http://livinggreenmag.com/2012/08/30/mother-nature/the-planets-lungs-special-dangers-to-the-worlds-forests-and-how-to-save-them/
“For at least 10,000 years, since the ice last retreated & forests took back the earth, people have destroyed them. In medieval Europe an exploding population & hard-working monks put paid to perhaps half its temperate oak & beech woods—mostly, as is usually the case, to clear space for crops. Some 100 million hectares of America’s Forests went in the 19th century, in an arboreal slaughter similarly reinforced by a belief in the godliness of thus “improving” the land. That spirit survives. It is no coincidence that George Bush junior, one of America’s more god-fearing presidents, relaxed by clearing brush.”
In those 10,000 years, at least half of the Earth’s original Forest area has been cleared. Since the 1950’s, Rainforests have been reduced by over 60%, & most of what remains is fragmented, which makes it more difficult to protect & preserve. There is hope for Forests, but mankind needs to move faster if they are to be saved. That is the opening line & de facto conclusion of the recent report published by The Economist magazine. The report contains 10 separate articles that look at different aspects of the pressures that Forests are facing, especially in developing tropical countries—& what is being done.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3449097