175) New!! Pet.: Stop the Bayer-Monsanto mega merger Almost everything you eat could be controlled by a single mega-corporation, if Bayer gets its way & buys Monsanto. Once the deal goes ahead it could spell disaster for our food supply and farmers, ushering in a new era of sterile crops soaked in dangerous pesticides.If the deal is successful, it'll make the new corporation the biggest seed maker & pesticide company in the world -- & it will have almost total control of the most important aspects of our food supply. Pls SIGN & SHARE as much as possible!!!
March Against Monsanto: activists around the world will, once again, unite to March Against Monsanto http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/home/ Research studies have shown that Monsanto’s Genetically-Modified foods can lead to serious health conditions such as the development of cancer tumors, infertility & birth defects. In the USA, the FDA, the agency tasked with ensuring food safety for the population, is steered by ex-Monsanto executives, & we feel that’s a questionable conflict of interests & explains the lack of Gov.t-lead research on the long-term effects of GMO products. Recently, the U.S. Congress & president collectively passed the nicknamed “Monsanto Protection Act” that, among other things, bans courts from halting the sale of Monsanto’s Genetically-Modified seeds. Vote with your dollar by buying organic & boycotting Monsanto owned companies that use GMOs in their products. Labeling of GMOs so that consumers can make those informed decisions easier. Repealing relevant provisions of the US’s “Monsanto Protection Act.” Calling for further scientific research on the health effects of GMOs. Holding Monsanto executives & Monsanto-supporting politicians accountable through direct communication, grassroots journalism, social media, etc. Continuing to inform the public about Monsanto’s secrets. Taking to the streets to show the world & Monsanto that we won’t take these injustices quietly. We will not stand for cronyism. We will not stand for poison. That’s why we March Against Monsanto.
Video: March Against Monsanto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3IbOWMn7bY
Unable to Post in Healthy Eating http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=28682&pst=1431194 Go there for more info about GMOs.
Health Disaster in the Making: Hundreds of Schools Are Next to Fields Doused by Monsanto's Toxic Weed Killers Genetically engineered crops, or GMOs, have led to an explosion in growers’ use of herbicides, with the result that children at hundreds of elementary schools across the country go to class close by fields that are regularly doused with escalating amounts of toxic weed killers. GMO corn & soybeans have been genetically engineered to withstand being blasted with glyphosate – an herbicide that the World Health Organization recently classified as “probably carcinogenic to humans.” The proximity of many schools to fields blanketed in the chemical puts kids at risk of exposure. But it gets worse. Overreliance on glyphosate has spawned the emergence of “superweeds” that resist the herbicide, so now producers of GMO crops are turning to even more harmful chemicals. 1st up is 2,4-D, a World WarII-era defoliant linked to non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Parkinson’s disease & reproductive problems. Young children are especially vulnerable to it. GM crops are chemical resistant, stronger & more toxic herbicides are sprayed without regard. We don't want these harmful GM crops in our countries! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3879925
See Map!!! : https://api.tiles.mapbox.com/v4/ewg.m3fa5dp2/page.html?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoiZXdnIiwiYSI6IlYxUUpUTlUifQ.87Ean7pyT-H6eapPSES_pA#5/41.162/-100.876
The large purple circles represent state totals for schools within 1,000 ft. of corn & soybean fields. Zoom in & click on a County to see specific data about estimated glyphosate application & planted GMO corn & soybeans
Video: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLwjQYdUVI
173) New!! Pet.: Protect our health, Stop Monsanto https://secure.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_dont_silence_science_loc_us/?bxAMcab&v=57276 The threat is clear -- this poison is used on our food, our fields, our playgrounds, & our streets. Let's get it suspended!! Our health is at stake. But we are up against a system that is captured by vested interests, & we only have a small window to turn the tide. The more of us join, the stronger our call! Spread the word using the Facebook & Email & forward the original email from Avaaz! Thank you for taking action. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3874106
172) New!! Pet.: Tell the EPA: Ban Monsanto’s Cancer-Causing Roundup Herbicide Glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, is probably causing cancer in humans. That’s according to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) panel of cancer experts, which published its latest review of the cancer risks of glyphosate on March 20, 2015. The timing of this new report couldn’t be better. Why? Glyphosate is currently under review by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which has the power to ban its use in Roundup, or anywhere else. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3866525
170) New!! Pet.: Petition for the dismantling of Monsanto https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Petition_pour_labolition_de_Monsanto/ It has been scientifically proven that GMOs are responsible for the development of cancer. Monsanto's pesticides kill Bees, disrupt ecosystems, pollute rivers & groundwater & are the source of a number of cancers & malformations. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3842372
Twelve Ways to Rid the Planet of GMOs and Monsanto’s Roundup To claim that GMOs are perfectly safe is equivalent to saying that pesticides, herbicides & fungicides--systemically laced at ever-higher levels into GMO-tainted human food & animal feed--are perfectly safe! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3838911
Despite Ban, Monsanto and Bayer GM Crops Contaminate Europe Even though Europe has banned GM seeds, cross-contaminated crops can still be found all over the continent. As long as the US continues to produce & plant GMO crops, seeds will purposefully or accidentally get shipped to areas that do not use GMOs. This confirms the protestations of experts who have been saying that non-GM pants can be turned to GM plants, transforming conventional & organic crops into GM atrocities in a form of “biorape”. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3834362
169) New!! Pet.: STOP TTIP and CETA https://stop-ttip.org/ 1,059,419 signatures so far. America allows far more chemicals & genetic modifications in food that are banned in Europe. We call on the institutions of the European Union & its member states to stop the negotiations with the USA on the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (TTIP) & not to ratify the Comprehensive Economic & Trade Agreement (CETA) with Canada. We want to prevent TTIP & CETA because they include several critical issues such as investor-state dispute settlement & rules on regulatory cooperation that pose a threat to democracy & the rule of law. We want to prevent lowering of standards concerning employment, social, environmental, privacy & consumers & the deregulation of public services (such as water) & cultural assets from being deregulated in non-transparent negotiations. Source: Monka B.
Mediterranean diet is best way to tackle obesity, say doctors A Mediterranean diet may be a better way of tackling obesity than calorie counting, leading doctors have said. Writing in the Postgraduate Medical Journal (PMJ), the doctors said a Mediterranean diet quickly reduced the risk of heart attacks… Ray C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/725222209/3822728
One of the BASIC Principles of the "Mediterranean Diet" is PURPOSELY Olive Oil (that contains also Vitamin E)!!!!
When my husband, English, went to the Hospital where his father was saved from an heart attack by a triple Bypass (Death Cause for: his 2 Uncles and his Grandmother; his mother saved with a Pace-maker), the English Cardiologist ASKED him to PASS to a Mediterranean Diet & use Olive Oil, just for healthy living and to avoid Cardiovascular Diseases!!!! michela
168) New!! Pet.: Pledge to Avoid Products Containing GMOs http://www.takepart.com/photos/companies-against-gmo-labeling Share the pledge & encourage others to act. Together, we can encourage the food industry not to rely on potential dangerous GMOs. The modern supermarket is full of tough reading material. We see labels of "organic," "natural," "farm-raised," "cage-free," "hormone-free" & "fair trade." But, there's one label we don't see as often as we should: one that reads "Made with Non-GMO Ingredients." I pledge only to purchase food not made with the use of Genetically Modified Organisms. I will also encourage my elected representatives to support legislation requiring that foods containing GMOs be labeled.
Video: Michael Hansen of the Consumers Union: Label GMOs in Oregon, Vote Yes on 92! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGNZMJHSIE0
10 Companies AGAINST GMO Labeling: Photo Gallery: http://www.takepart.com/photos/companies-against-gmo-labeling/the-kings-of-corn Corporations spent a combined $64 million in 2012—when California’s Prop 37 failed to pass—& 2013 to combat GMO labeling efforts. These are the 10 Food Companies that just might have enough money to keep GMO labels off products in the country—at least until the next election cycle The debate surrounding labeling foods that contain Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) is heating up again as the midterm election approaches. If passed, Prop 92 in Oregon & Prop 105 in Colorado would require that Food Companies label products sold in those states that contain GMOs. With few days until the election, agribusiness giant Dupont Pioneer donated $2.5 million to the NO on 92 Coalition campaign in Oregon—the largest campaign contribution in the state’s history. Currently, more than 60 countries around the world require GMO labeling or ban GMOs altogether. Agribusiness giant Monsanto supports labeling abroad, but not in the USA.
167) New!! Pet.: Reject Monsanto’s New Pesticide-Resistant Crops http://forcechange.com/133402/reject-monsantos-new-pesticide-resistant-crops/#.VCv9eQ2q14Q.care2 Monsanto has recently submitted new Genetically Engineered soybeans & cotton to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) for approval. These new crops are resistant to the herbicide dicamba. If approved by the USDA, millions more pounds of dicamba will be sprayed on crops in the USA, polluting food, water, & air. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3808894
Science Organizations say GMOs not proven safe Genetically Modified Organisms, or GMOs, are crops or animals whose genetic material has been altered in a lab using genetic engineering techniques. For example, a bacterial trait may be inserted into corn that causes it to emit a harmful pesticide, or resist heavy applications of chemical herbicides without dying (this saves industrial farmers time by allowing them to douse their crops in chemicals, rather than selectively spraying weeds). The most common genetically modified food crops in the United States are corn, soy, canola, and sugar beets (used in the production of white table sugar), which either contain the bacterial pesticide trait or resist heavy chemical applications, or both. Some yellow squash, zucchini & Hawaiian papaya have also been genetically modified. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3815113
Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all There are 2 things that you can be certain of when it comes to Palm Oil: 1) business is booming & 2) Orangutans hate Palm Oil (if they could speak to us, I’m confident that’s what they would say). We can now add another certainty to that: Palm Oil causes low-grade inflammation that is linked to insulin resistance, obesity & other metabolic diseases that are partially mediated by our resident gut microbes….Source: Kimberly C.
166) New!! Urgent!! Pet.: Yes on Measure 92: We Have the Right to Know What's in our Food - NO on 92 Coalition Donors http://oregonrighttoknow.ngpvanhost.com/form/9110508658356455168?ms=E.EN-O-NO.NATIONAL.MAIN_SIGNUP This November, Oregon could become the 1st State to pass a ballot initiative to require labeling for GMO foods. Show your support for labeling by adding your name!! Over the past few weeks, the No on 92 coalition has spent millions of dollars to produce & air slick anti-labeling advertisements – ads that make it sound as if opposition to Measure 92 is made up of nothing more than a group of concerned Oregonians. Of course, that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Check out this STUNNING graphic to see who’s really behind the anti-labeling propaganda: https://act.myngp.com/Uploads/2136/images/OR2K-NO-DONORS-18%281%29.gif
The truth behind the campaign to crush GMO labeling is something Oregon voters & activists nationwide need to hear.
Please check out this breathtaking graphic and then share it with five of your friends!
165) New!! URGENT!!! Pet.: Tell Obama: Reject Dow Chemicals’s “Agent Orange” GMOs and their toxic new chemical cocktail! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/breaking_EPA_to_approve_Dows_Agent_Orange_GMO_crops_Take_a_Stand/?t=4&akid=1345.178108.13LWG4 USDA approved these risky crops last month despite half a million public comments, letters from scientists & health care professionals, & even a letter from 60 members of Congress in opposition. EPA is about to follow suit & approve Dow’s new 2,4-D-glyphosate herbicide mix intended for use on these GE crops. If you allow EPA to approve this herbicide mix, tens of millions of pounds more 2,4-D will be sprayed on these new crops. 2,4-D would contaminate our food, water & atmosphere. Medical scientists have found that 2,4-D exposure is associated with higher rates of cancer, Parkinson’s disease, & reproductive problems. Dow’s 2,4-D resistant crops & 2,4-D herbicide mix pose a grave threat to our nation’s agricultural, environmental, & human health. I urge you to stop the approval of Enlist Duo herbicide and reverse USDA’s approval of 2,4-D-resistant corn & soybeans. Source: SuSanne P.
Slideshow: GMOs: Get the Facts http://www.doctoroz.com/gallery/gmos-get-facts?gallery=true Genetically Modified crops have rapidly taken over the market with the promise of lower costs & less pesticide use. But as resistance to the most common pesticides has arisen, these promises have started to fall apart. Now a new pesticide, Enlist Duo, is on the verge of being approved. Here's what you need to know.
163) New!! Pet.: Tell President Obama to stop “Agent Orange” crops and the toxic chemicals they rely on http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14924 The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is about to issue a dangerous approval that will put our farms, our food, & our environment at risk. EPA may announce approval of Dow Chemical’s new “Enlist Duo” herbicide within the next week. “Enlist Duo” is a mixture of glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup) & the even more toxic 2,4-D (part of the chemical mixture Agent Orange). Pls urge President Obama to stop this toxic herbicide & the Genetically Engineered crops that depend on it! Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3809682
No to GMOs: The Global Conspiracy to Keep You From Knowing the Truth About Your Food How to Avoid Stealth GMOs, Pt 1 The food industry is spending millions of dollars to avoid labeling Genetically Modified foods but Dr. Oz reveals a simple trick that will help you GMO-free on your own. The secret? PLU codes!
10 Scientific Studies Proving GMOs Can Be Harmful To Human Health There are a multitude of credible scientific studies that clearly demonstrate why GMOs should not be consumed, & more are emerging every year, here are 10 of them. If anybody ever tells you that GMOs are completely safe for consumption, it's not true. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3807974
GMO-Science Takes a Blow as Studies Are Retracted The Public Face of GMOs Loses Scientific Credibility; The Snowball Effect of Retracted Studies; The Problem with GMO Plant Science; Results from Animal-Feeding Studies Correlate with Human Disease Patterns; GMO Foods Have Never Been Proven Safe. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3807967
Are Monsanto Executives Psychopaths? Dr Hare says they are in the 2003 documentary 'The Corporation', screening is necessary. However, failing to take personal responsibility makes a person as "sociopathic" as the CEOs. Ultimately our power is that we can decide what to buy and consume. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3806060
162) New!! Pet.: We must STOP Monsanto and CETA! Don’t Sign CETA (Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement) English https://www.campact.de/ceta/appell/english-version/ German https://www.campact.de/ceta/appell/teilnehmen/ French https://www.campact.de/ceta/appell/version-francaise/ Should the EU & Canada sign the CETA treaty, it threatens to turn our legislative process into a pawn in the games of Multinational Corporations: Companies could sue via their Canadian subsidiaries whenever policies concerning social, environmental or consumer rights lead to a reduction of their profits. Private arbitration panels, operating behind closed doors, could award billions in compensation to companies – to be paid for by taxpayers’ money. Law firms that are closely aligned with the Corporations appoint the arbitrators, plaintiffs as well as defendants in these legal disputes. Signing CETA would pave the way for the TTIP agreement between the EU & the US to enter through the back door. That threatens to weaken existing European laws that restrict the use of Genetic Engineering in agriculture or prevent the contamination of drinking water through fracking. That’s why we demand: Don’t sign CETA! Source: Sabine H.
161) New!! Pet.: Tell Retailers: Label Monsanto's Genetically Engineered Sweet Corn http://www.grassrootsact.com/gmocorn?utm_source=DK Consumers deserve to know whether they're eating an insecticide! Monsanto has created genetically engineered sweet corn that produces pesticides in its own tissue, & it's being grown & sold to consumers throughout the U.S. This genetically engineered corn - which would never exist in nature - is regulated by the EPA as an insecticide, but it's sold alongside natural corn in grocery stores across the country. Sign & demand labeling for Genetically Engineered sweet corn, & if we reach 100,000 signatures, we'll send them to the Grocery Manufacturers Association & Monsanto. Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3804910
What the @!^%# is genetically EDITED fruit? Say hello to Biotech's latest creation: Genetically Edited Organisms!! Just while real-food advocates thought they were making some headway in the fight against GMOs, a new, sneakier enemy has slipped into the picture. Unlike genetically modified organisms, whose DNA are altered with foreign genes, the DNA of Genetically Edited Organisms tweaks a plant's own genes. Cool--or crazy? It depends who you ask. But things do start to sound a little sketchy when biotech experts start in about how genetically edited produce might be a way to get past the GMO regulations that currently exist in Europe--regulations that many consumers hope will eventually become reality here in the U.S. Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3803040
3 Simple Ways To Avoid GMOs A good chunk of Americans would like to see Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) labeled on food packages. And though some States, namely Connecticut & Maine, are inching towards laws that would require such labels, the federal Gov.t refuses to placate the public with a nationwide labeling law—leaving the 80 to 90% of people who want to avoid GMOs on their own.
159) New!! Pet.: Hillary Clinton: It's time to dump Monsanto and support public health, and regenerative, organic agriculture http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/hillary-clinton-its-time?source=c.url&r_by=5382364 To: Hillary Clinton. Speaking at this year's BIO International Convention, you reiterated your support for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs). You said the industry needs "a better vocabulary" to change negative public perception about GMO agriculture. But mounting scientific evidence says the public is right to be concerned about the impact of Monsanto's GMO crops & food on the environment, public health & Global Warming. We don't need a better vocabulary. We need leaders who will stand up to Monsanto. As a mother, soon-to-be grandmother & potential future candidate for U.S. president, please do what's right, not what the biotech industry lobbyists want you to do. Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3786704
158) New!! Pet.: Tell Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.): I’m Not Too Stupid to Understand GMO Labels! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14496#sthash.zC3kXkQV.dpuf The “experts” have spoken, and here’s what they have to say: You’re just too stupid to handle a label on your food that says “this product contains genetically engineered ingredients.” Tell Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.), acting chair of the subcommittee on Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology, & Foreign Agriculture, that you’re not too stupid to understand a GMO label! Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3788878
Video: Americans Are Too Stupid For GMO Labeling, Congressional Panel Says http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/gmo-labels-congress_n_5576255.html
157) New!! Pet.: Help Stop ‘Agent Orange’ Crops! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14584 Still open! "The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) & the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) want to approve Dow's new Enlist-brand corn & soy crops that are engineered to resist a deadly herbicide, concocted from a combination of Monsanto's Roundup..."
Watch Video!! GMO, Global Alert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njd0RugGjAg French researchers secretly studied, for 2 years, 200 rats fed with transgenic maize. Tumors, serious disorders... full-fledged slaughter. And a bomb for the GMO industry.
Watch Video!! Genetic Roulette - The Gamble of Our Lives! http://geneticroulettemovie.com/trailer/ http://geneticroulettemovie.com/
1 year ago News: How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries http://foodbabe.com/2013/02/12/how-food-companies-exploit-americans-with-ingredients-banned-in-other-countries/
Thoughts of outrage, unfairness, disbelief, & ultimately grief consumed me while I was doing this investigation. A list of ingredients that are banned across the globe but still allowed for use here in the American food supply. While I have written about some of those ingredients before, this list inspired me to look a little deeper & find out how pervasive this issue is for us. Could these banned ingredients be contributing to the higher mortality & disease rates here in the U.S.? Here is the breakdown for you:
- More than two thirds of United States citizens are overweight – 33% being obese.
- 32% of children are either obese or overweight.
- 43% of Americans are projected to be obese in 10 years.
- After smoking, obesity is America’s biggest cause of premature death & is linked to 70% of heart disease & 80% of diabetes cases.
These reports & statistics scream the word HELP! The food industry is the one leading our conversation in this country about food & nutrition, educating the mass public about what to eat & what not to eat.
The Gov.t has their hands tied by Big Food Industry & Chemical Company Lobbyists that basically control what the FDA approves, deems safe for human consumption, & our overall food policyKit B.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/451276626/3560363
News: Exclusive: Facebook censors pictures of children rallying against GMOs during global March Against Monsanto http://www.naturalnews.com/040484_Facebook_censorship_children_Monsanto_rally.html In one of the most devastating acts of destruction of its own credibility, Facebook engaged in yet more censorship of Free Speech with the suspending of an account that posted a photo of children rallying against Monsanto during today's global March Against Monsanto. Source: Jeanne S.
News: 50 Countries Label Genetically Engineered Foods – When Will Americans have the Right to Know & Choose? http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/09/27/genetically-engineered-foods-labeling.aspx
former Nov. 6 Ballot Label GMOs
Watch Video!! Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) - Myths & Truths http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ztZGbLEJ0&feature=player_embedded
Watch out for the Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) myths & truths which provide educational materials concerning GM foods & health risks. The information is based on the new report "GMO Myths & Truths" by EarthOpenSource.org. More info: http://earthopensource.org/?forwardOutdatedBrowser=1 http://earthopensource.org/index.php/executive-summary
Palm Oil - Health: Blood Lipid and Cholesterol Effects
The U.S. Center for Science in the Public Interest said Palm Oil promotes heart disease (high in saturated and low in polyunsaturated fat); Report cited Research going back to 1970; also said that The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, World Health Organization (WHO), and other Health Authorities urged reduced consumption of Palm Oil; WHO states that there is convincing evidence that palmitic acid consumption contributes to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. A 2006 Study by the National Institute of Health and the USDA Agricultural Research Service concluded that it's not a safe substitute for partially hydrogenated fats (trans fats) in the Food Industry, as Palm Oil results in adverse changes in the blood concentrations of LDL Cholesterol and apolipoprotein B just as trans fat does.
Palm Oil - in the Cooking Industry
A common cooking ingredient in Africa, Southeast Asia and parts of Brazil. Since Palm Oil is of a lower quality than Olive Oil, it remained rare outside West Africa. Its increasing use in the commercial Food Industry... because: 1) Palm Oil has the LOWEST Production COST of the major Oils, and 2) Products last more time in the Supermarket shelves!! for the high oxidative stability (saturation) of the refined product when used for frying. Many processed foods contain Palm Oil but it is NOT DECLARED on Labels!!! Or Label simply says: "Vegetable Oils"!! Try to read a Chips Packet Label, just as an example!! This is a real offence to all of us, but particularly to VEGANS and VEGETARIANS devoting their lifestyle not to hurt animals, while, like all customers, they are unwillingly and unconsciously contributing to the SLAUGHTER of Tigers, Elephants, Rhinos, Wildlife... and GENOCIDE of Orangutans, who share 97% DNA with us!!!
156) New!! Pet.: Stop Zoos from Selling Environmentally Destructive Ice Cream http://forcechange.com/132396/stop-zoos-from-selling-environmentally-destructive-ice-cream/#.VA1_6wRf8go.care2 Goal: Stop selling industrial ice cream containing destructive Palm Oil & support local creamery. The evils of Palm Oil are well known. Rampant Deforestation, loss of Habitat for Endangered Species like the Orangutang & Sumatran Tiger, & burning down vegetation unleashing tons of carbon dioxide all make Palm Oil a dirty ingredient. So why do companies continue to use it? When given the choice of selling a product that contains Palm Oil or selling an equally delicious product that does not contain Palm Oil, the choice should be obvious, especially if you are a zoo that claims to support wildlife. Everyone loves a cold, creamy ice cream on a hot summer day, & if it is locally made by an environmentally responsible company, it tastes even sweeter. So why do Adelaide Zoo & Monarto Zoo in Australia chose to sell ice cream with Palm Oil? Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3802219
Why the Food Industry Is Spending $25 Million To Keep You in the Dark http://www.rodale.com/gmo-labeling-california Donors range from the obvious biotech Cos. like Monsanto incl. a number of Food Cos. that market & sell organic foods (organic foods are prohibited from containing GM ingredients). Are your favorite food Cos. trying to hide what's in your food? More than 90% of Americans want genetically modified (GM) foods labeled & want to know if it's eating ingredients derived from lab-created plants genetically modified to resist (& sometime create their own) toxic pesticides, withstand drought, or produce higher yields. GM ingredients infiltrated more than 75% of processed foods: Food Cos. successfully defeated (or threatened to defeat) law after law that would have required these ingredients to be labeled. Once people know that a product contains GM ingredients, they won't buy it. This Nov., the war between food Cos. & food eaters is coming to a head in CA. For the 1st time, voters -not senators, repres., or Corporate Lobbyists- decide whether labels like "This product contains GMOs" or "Contains GMO Corn" will appear on food packages. Labeling advocates garnered more than 1Million sign. on a petition to get the CA Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act (also known as Prop 37) on the Nov. ballot. Food Cos. have been out in full force, funding ads against the measure. The "No on 37: Coalition Against the Deceptive Food Labeling Scheme" has been collecting donations to the tune of $25.6Million$ in an effort to defeat a law that, though local to CA, would affect food sold across the US, since roughly 10% of the US population lives in CA, laws there tend to impact sales everywhere.
Health Effects of Palm Oil Health departments in Governments should be concerned about it as far as I'm concerned. Just as bad as trans fats!!! Dianne C.
Palm oil is produced in tropical countries like Indonesia from a particular palm that makes big oily fruits that are pressed for the oil within. The oil is high in saturated fats just like bacon, cheddar cheese or cocoanut.
Palm oil contains five different saturated fats. Saturated fats will raise your blood cholesterol levels and can lead to heart disease. All oils have some saturated fat in them but palm oil is very high in saturated fat relative to corn, soy or olive oil. If you have any concerns about heart health or about the health of your arteries, you should not be eating any palm oil. And, its easy to avoid if you chose better quality foods & avoid the highly processed foods found in run of the mill grocery stores. Find a natural food store near you and shop for cookies etc there (you need to read the ingredients to be sure). Palm oil has become very popular among food processors because of the recent backlash against “trans fats” which are hydrogenated oils that pose a serious health threat in terms of heart disease, stroke and other circulation diseases. Palm oil replaced those trans fats in processed foods because it will remain solid at room temperature and not leach out of products. Unfortunately palm oil poses the same health risks as trans fats.
News: Is Palm Oil One of the Healthy Oils to Consume? http://www.livestrong.com/article/428369-is-palm-oil-one-of-the-healthy-oils-to-consume/#ixzz1yP7yIbQ1
Palm Oil is extracted from the oil palm tree's fruit. This tree is originally from W. Africa, although Indonesia is currently the main world producer of P.Oil. Palm Oil is cheap & semi-solid, which makes it a popular alternative for foods commonly made with trans fat, commercial food producers are trying to steer away from trans fat. However, Palm Oil is not considered a healthy oil because it is very high in saturated fat.
Fat Composition: P.Oil contains an unhealthy composition of fat. It is comprised of 52% saturated fat, a type of fat that contributes to heart disease. The rest of Palm Oil is made up of 38% monounsaturated fat & 10% polyunsaturated fat. These unsaturated fats can reduce your risk of heart disease by improving your cholesterol, among other benefits. However, the amount of saturated fat is much higher than that in other oils. Research: The food industry uses trans fat for foods like fast foods & baked goods, but trans fat causes negative effects on the heart, including increasing LDL, or "bad," cholesterol. A 2006 study supported by the USDA's Agricultural Research Service studied Palm Oil to see if it would be a healthier alternative to trans fat, that would at the same time maintain the integrity of the food. The study found that Palm Oil had similar consequences to trans fat in increasing LDL cholesterol when compared to soybean & canola oils.
Alternatives: Many other oils are healthier choices than Palm Oil. Healthier choices with a high smoke point are almond & sunflower oils. Sunflower oil has a composition of 79% monounsatured fat, 7% polyunsaturated fat & 14% saturated fat. Almond oil is 65% monounsaturated fat, 28% polyunsaturated fat & only 7% saturated fat. Canola & extra-virgin Olive Oils are very healthy & they have a medium-high smoke point. Extra virgin Olive Oil has 78% monounsaturated fat, 8% polyunsaturated fat & 14% saturated fat. Canola oil has 62% monounsaturated fat, 31% polyunsaturated fat & 7% saturated fat.
Smoke Point: The smoke point of an oil is the highest temperature it can go before it becomes unhealthy. If you heat an oil past its smoke point, it can create free radicals, which are thought to be responsible for cancer & other diseases. Palm Oil has a high smoke point, so you can use it at top heats for deep-frying, browning & searing. However, keep in mind that deep-frying is unhealthy.
News: Political & Corporate elite shun GM food on their own plate http://www.naturalnews.com/037466_GM_food_global_elite_organic_gardens.html
With a sad twist of irony, Corporate & Gov.t elite dine on safe, organic food while the masses, those very people who are supposedly represented & protected by their Gov.ts, are poisoned by hidden genetically modified organisms, pesticides & dangerous contaminants. The presidential family demands organic food in their kitchen, yet behind closed doors, shake hands with the Biotech Industry. China's top brass is fed by an exclusive, gated organic garden while the rest of the population consumes GM food, steroid contaminated meat & dairy laced with melamine. Even Monsanto's own employee's command non-genetically modified food in their canteen. Access to clean, organic & healthy food is not a given right anymore -- it has become a political battleground with the average citizen suffering the loss.
Hillary Clinton is Just Plain Wrong on GMOs Hillary would do well to go back to her science books. Here are the facts, as understood by every biologist. Seed hybridization occurs when the seeds of two compatible parent plants, within the same species, are crossed, either in a controlled... Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3800204
124) Pet.: Divest Monsanto Now! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/take_the_Monsanto_stock_plunge/?rd=1&t=2&referring_akid=1190.482525.FyqmD- As the manufacturer of Agent Orange, DDT, PCPs & Dioxin, Monsanto’s toxic legacy of harm to the environment & human health is without parallel. Now Monsanto owns patents on life & is genetically engineering the food that we eat. In the past 2 yrs alone, Monsanto has helped fund massive misinformation campaigns to the tune of $70Million to defeat GMO labeling. Monsanto claims that GMOs & their weedkiller Roundup are perfectly safe. So why are they fighting GMO labeling in the U.S.? Unfortunately, if you have a retirement fund, 401K or mutual funds you could be profiting from Monsanto’s toxic products. Source: Artur B.; Janice T.; Jeanne S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/984224062/3760399
Video: Operation: Monsanto Stock Plunge and Panic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovCrpTcfF3M
120) Pet.: Tell the EPA to Protect Monarchs! https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3369 As Big Ag has dramatically increased its use of Genetically Modified crops resistant to potent weed killers like Monsanto's Roundup, industrial use of these herbicides has exploded -- killing off the milkweed that monarch butterflies need to survive. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3754314
101) Pet.: Reject Agent Orange-Resistant GMO Crops
Do you want to eat crops that have been doused with a component of Agent Orange? 2,4-D is a toxic herbicide associated with serious health risks. These GMO crops will also, like their predecessors, lead to much greater use of even more dangerous chemicals, the development of more herbicide-resistant weeds, destruction & genetic contamination of neighboring crops, & severe economic impacts on other farmers. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3702792
Top 10 Facts YOU should know about Monsanto & Videos Some GMO foods have been proven in laboratory tests to... CAUSE: cancer, sterility, miscarriages, seizures & even death! Many links on this page for additional info. Reggie T. http://www.care2.com/news/member/398989541/3383154; Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3794653
Why Monsanto's 'Cure' For World Hunger Is Cursing The Global Food Supply Monsanto's Glyphosate is killing Bees & destroying the Global Food Supply!! The GM agricultural system that Monsanto arrogantly claims will help to solve world hunger depends on a highly toxic chemical, that a new Biology study finds kills the pollinator upon which approximately 70% of the world's food supply depends on, the Bee. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3795551
Soy vey! Monsanto just lost its GM permit in the Yucatán Monsanto has lost GM permit in Mexico! A judge in Mexico has revoked Monsanto’s permit to plant Genetically Engineered soy in the Yucatán peninsula. The permit authorised Monsanto to plant its seeds in 7 states, over more than 253,000 hectares (625,000 acres), despite protests from thousands of Mayan farmers & beekeepers, Greenpeace, the Mexican Nat.l Commission for the Knowledge & Use of Biodiversity, the Nat.l Commission of Natural Protected Areas & the Nat.l Institute of Ecology. Wolfgang W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/852781407/3795963
Monsanto Linked to Fatal Kidney Disease Epidemic: Could It Topple the Company? Monsanto's herbicide Roundup containing glyphosate has been linked to an ailment in humans that has appeared across multiple continents. An article including information about the history of Glyphosate originally a descaling agent used to clean pipes. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3788613
152) New!! Pet.: Monsanto's 'Roundup Ready' GM maize could be growing in Europe next year http://action.sumofus.org/a/gm-crops-europe/?sub=homepage Europe may have just opened the floodgates for Monsanto to grow its Genetically Modified crops across the continent. But the European Parliament can still vote to stop this. I Signed with all my & my family mails!!! Cal M.
151) New!! Pet.: Keep Toxic New Agent Orange GMOs off Your Plate! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_Monsanto_and_Dows_new_toxic_GMO_chemical_cocktail/?akid=1259.421592.cCyqIn&rd=1&t=8 The 1st generation of biotech crops has failed. And failed badly. Now the biotech industry is stepping up the chemical arms race in an effort to make up for the failure of Monsanto's Roundup. Excessive use of Roundup by GMO farmers has led million of… Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3784679
150) New!! Pet.: The best way to stop Monsanto https://secure.avaaz.org/en/seed_exchange_nd_loc/?slideshow The source of our planet’s food is under threat. Ten agro-chemical firms own 73% of the commercial seed market, & as many as 93% of seed varieties have gone extinct. In the US alone 85% of apple varieties have disappeared. Monsanto & Co. are privatising the genesis of nature. And this Corporate takeover is decimating sustainable farming, destroying the diversity of our crops, & making them vulnerable to diseases that could threaten our food security. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3786630
149) New!! Pet.: Include GMO Content Information on Food Nutrition Facts Labels https://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/change-nutrition-facts-labeling-to-show-gmo-content?akid=11033.188821.mhuQtA&rd=1&suppress_one_click=true&t=4 Add specific information about Genetically Modified organism (GMO) content to food Nutrition Facts labels & one of the 2 following blanket statements, as applicable: "Contains one or more GMOs" OR "Does not contain any GMOs". Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3783136
The Next Generation of GM Crops Has Arrived—And So Has the Controversy The 1st of a new generation of Genetically Modified crops is poised to win Gov.t approval in the USA, igniting a controversy that may continue for years, foreshadowing the future of Genetically Modified crops. More toxic & damaging! Betsy Bee http://www.care2.com/news/member/444864297/3782778
Monarch Butterfly Decline Linked to Spread of GM Crops The main cause of the Monarch Butterfly's decline is the loss of milkweed -- its food -- in its U.S. breeding grounds. That all but confirms that the spread of Genetically Modified crops is indirectly killing the Monarch. Betsy Bee http://www.care2.com/news/member/444864297/3777339
145) New!! Pet.: Monsanto: Don't sue the state of Vermont http://action.sumofus.org/a/monsanto-sues-vermonts/?akid=5559.148817.ewa7iu&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=3 Tell Monsanto: Don't sue Vermont for its decision to label GMO foods. Monsanto is making outlandish claims in protest, including one that a labeling requirement would be a violation to the company’s freedom of speech. It's ready to put its Corporate muscles to work to thump the state's decision, just as it has before: It recently successfully conspired with DuPoint & Kraft Foods to grossly outspend & defeat supporters of similar laws in California & Washington. Robert T. http://www.care2.com/news/member/631213065/3776218
143) New!! Pet.: Boycott Coca-Cola now!! http://cokeboycott.com/ Coca-Cola secretly funneled more than $1.5 million through a business association in order to block an initiative that would have required the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs). Now GMO labeling initiatives are developing in 29 States incl. Oregon & Vermont. It’s time for the Co. to stop fighting our right to know what’s in our food. We’re engaging hundreds of thousands of people worldwide to spread the word about Coca-Cola’s secret campaign contributions, & encouraging people to boycott the brands they market as healthier alternatives until they change their ways. Facebook & Twitter links to spread the Message. Source: Janice T.
142) New!! Pet.: Please make Girl Scout cookies without GMOs http://www.change.org/petitions/abc-bakers-please-make-girl-scout-cookies-without-gmos If ABC Bakers continues to make cookies with GMO ingredients, our soil will continue to be saturated with pesticides. Our Farmer’s will continue to pay higher prices for seeds & purchase larger quantities of pesticides. Our Organic farmers will continue to struggle. Our Bees will continue to die off. In eating the cookies we will continue to gamble with our health. “If ABC Bakers don’t make cookies without GMOs, everyone could get sick & not even know it” Pls sign asking ABC Bakers to make Girl Scout cookies without GMOs! Source: Janice T.
141) New!! Pet.: Stop GE Crop Field Trials! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=11103 USDA has continued to allow Monsanto to conduct GE wheat field trials, despite unanswered questions as to how the company’s product contaminated Oregon wheat last year. As we’ve warned for over a decade, contamination is inevitable when irresponsible companies like Monsanto are allowed to experiment with our food supply while USDA is asleep at the wheel. How many times does this have to happen before we finally put a stop to these risky GE field trials? USDA has a terrible track record overseeing these field trials. Even the USDA’s own Inspector General issued a scathing report detailing numerous violations of agency rules in regulating GE crop field trials. USDA officials did not know the locations of many field trials it was charged with regulating & did not conduct required inspections of others. Tell Congress & the USDA to stop open-air field trials of GE crops! Source: Janice T.
First Long Term Scientific Study Results on Pigs and Cattle who eat GMO Soy and Corn offers frightening results!! Results of a long-term, peer-reviewed study conducted by a group of Scientists led by Dr Judy Carman of the Institute of Health & Environmental Research in Australia has been released & it proves that GMOs are anything but 'safe'! Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3774043
March Against Monsanto News From Everywhere To the rhythms of drums & chants, concerned people took to the streets across 436 cities in 52 countries on May 24. The message was clear: smash Monsanto. With thousands marching from coast to coast, Canada to Argentina, & around the world, the day of protest has emerged as one of the largest global events—& it has only been around for two years. However, more than small hopes for a mandatory labeling of genetically modified products, smashing Monsanto entails a larger transformation of the modern relationship between people and food. Betsy Bee http://www.care2.com/news/member/444864297/3773711
Video: March Against Monsanto in Freiburg, Germany May 24, 2014 Source: Gabriela B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdY8_G60Vk&feature=youtu.be
6 Terrifying Things Monsanto Does: Why You Should Join the 2nd Global Protest on Saturday Millions of activists from around the world will once again March Against Monsanto. Frustrated that she couldn’t feed her family pesticide-free foods that hadn’t been genetically altered without spending a small fortune, a Utah mom named Tami Canal organized the 1st March Against Monsanto effort last year. What began as the young mother’s Facebook call to action has evolved into an ongoing global movement against harmful pesticides & rampant genetic engineering (GE) of the food supply (which still lacks independent, peer-reviewed studies to back up its safety). Wolfgang W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/852781407/3773251
139) New!! Pet.: Reject the Next Generation of GMO Crops and Pesticides http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/763/771/586/ Target: Pres. Obama & USDA Secretary. The USDA is poised to allow farmers to plant 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) resistant corn & soy. This would allow farmers to plant these crops wherever they please without any Gov.t oversight, disregarding the harms they will cause!! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3772412
2 Oregon Counties Vote to Ban Genetically Engineered Crops despite massive contributions by Monsanto & Corporate Agribusines Jackson County's Measure 15-119 passed overwhelmingly, by 66% to 34%. Proponents of the ban raised only $375,000 compared with a record nearly $1 million raised by the opposition, which included agribusiness giants Monsanto, Syngenta and...
May 24: March against Monsanto EVERYWHERE!!
137) New!! Pet.: Tell the EPA and FDA: Immediately suspend Monsanto's Roundup herbicide http://act.credoaction.com/sign/suspend_roundup?akid=10689.4350611.tYW6uZ&rd=1&t=3 The introduction of Roundup in 1973 corresponded with a rise in conditions incl. celiac disease (gluten intolerance), autism, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, obesity, pancreatic cancer, thyroid cancer, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Parkinson's & others. And its use - along with the rates of many of these diseases - has gone stratospheric over the last 15 years, with the approval of Monsanto's GMO "Roundup Ready" crops specifically engineered to tolerate massive exposure to glyphosate. Roundup is now used all over the world on staple crops like wheat & soy, & has become the most widely used herbicide in the US. Despite these trends, the EPA & FDA still consider glyphosate to be relatively safe & harmless - based largely on unpublished, industry-produced studies. That position is looking increasingly dangerous, & possibly wrong. Krista S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/504132205/3770901
136) New!! Action: Two Free Smartphone Apps That Will Eliminate Monsanto, Aspartame, HFCS & Processed Foods http://www.in5d.com/2-free-smartphone-apps-you-need-today.html Buycott is a free smartphone app that allows you to scan any given product at the grocery store & not only tells you which foods are ultimately linked to Monsanto & their GMO's but also companies who are engaging in cruelty to animals. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3769256
Global GMO Free Coalition Brings Together 4.5 Million People to Fight Biotech Industry Propaganda The Global GMO Free Coalition has launched on Tuesday, bringing together GMO Free groups across 6 Continents with a partner membership of over 4.5 Million people. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3772212
Dr. Thierry Vrain, Former Pro-GMO Scientist, Speaks Up Dr. Vrain, a former genetic engineer & soil biologist with Agriculture Canada, gives a informative interview whose podcast message is to alarm the public about the dangers of GMOs & Glyphosate to both the environment & to human health. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3768798
135) New!! Pet.: Tell EPC Member States: Don't Let Monsanto Buy Up Mother Earth! http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/2739?n=69160697.fLzQFX Monsanto isn't satisfied with just selling us herbicides & pesticides for coating our crops. Now they're using a European legal loophole to patent away varieties of cucumber, broccoli, melons & conventional ways of breeding fruits & veggies abroad -- forcing growers to pay them for the very seeds they're planting! If we can reach out to countries like Germany, France & the Netherlands where opposition to Monsanto is growing, we can force a vote among the state of the European Patent Convention to stop the Biotech Giant in its tracks. We have a chance to stop Monsanto from setting a dangerous precedent & help fix the European patent laws for good. Will you join us? Call on the EPO Administrative Council to close the loopholes that allow Corporations like Monsanto to patent plants & conventional breeding methods today. Krista S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/504132205/3767671
133) New!! Pet.: Reject the Next Generation of GMO Crops and Pesticides https://secure.earthjustice.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1588 The toxic herbicide, 2,4-D, is associated with serious health impacts. New GMO crops have been created to resist 2,4-D so farmers could spray the herbicide without killing their corn & soy. But when the same herbicide is sprayed on a field repeatedly, a few naturally resistant weeds survive, reproduce & eventually take over. Because farmers did this with Monsanto’s Roundup-resistant crops, fields across the U.S. are now choked with Roundup-resistant weeds. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3766074
132) New!! Pet.: Tell the FDA to investigate into the harmful effects of Genetically Modified ingredients in our children's food http://thehungersite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ths/petition/ChildrenGMOs The term "Genetically Modified Organism" (GMO) may not be one that exists in most people's everyday lexicons — but it is one that needs exposure, because GMOs are found in many products we buy today. GMOs are foods whose chemical structures have been modified, & can introduce new allergens into food as well as contribute to antibiotic resistance. In fact, GMOs can be found in many of the foods & products we give to our children these days. Infant formula, baby bottles, baby foods — these are all products that are made for children, who by definition also happen to have highly susceptible immune systems. Until GMOs are proven safe, they shouldn't be used in ANY of our products, especially those widely used by young children. Tell the FDA to stop allowing the use of these products until it has proven them safe for human consumption! Source: Janice T.
131) New!! Pet.: We Have a Right to Know About GMOs http://thehungersite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ths/petition/LabelGMOs Tell the FDA commissioner to require Genetically Modified ingredients to be reflected in food package labels! Everyone has a right to know about the food they eat & feed their families, but under current FDA regulations, U.S. citizens are denied that right when it comes to Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs). The number & variety of GMO foods reaching grocery shelves is accelerating without proper regulation or human health testing, & most disconcertingly, without comprehensive labeling. Studies by the Nat.l Academy of Sciences have shown that Genetically Engineered plants have real potential to introduce new allergens & toxins into our food supply. 64 other Countries have labeling requirements in place to enable consumers to make informed, healthy decisions about their food selection, incl. 15 European Countries, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, & New Zealand. Tell the FDA it is time for the USA to join the rest of the modern world & mandate clear labeling of all foods containing GMOs!! Source: Janice T.
Vermont Senate votes 26-2 for GMO labelling GMO's will now be labeled in Vermont. Congrats to Vermont for being the 1st state (that I know of anyway), to do this! This battle took 20 years. But the war has just begun. Look out for the evil Monsanto Dragon! Ashley H. http://www.care2.com/news/member/875844399/3762546
130) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress: Don't prohibit GMO labeling http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/tell-congress-don-t-prohibit-gmo-labeling?akid=10436.6272454.J9mHwc&rd=1&suppress_one_click=true&t=4 Consumers have a fundamental right to know what they're eating. We urge you to reject legislation that would prohibit states & the federal Gov.t from requiring Genetically Modified foods to be labeled. Franz B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/774550352/3762200
129) New!! Pet.: Label all GMO Products in Canadian grocery stores http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/label-all-gmo-products-in-canadian-grocery-stores GMOs, or "Genetically Modified Organisms", are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria, viruses or other plants & animals. These experimental combinations of genes from different species cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3762167
128) New!! Action! Join the Food Revolution! http://foodrevolution.org/summit/?orid=235129&opid=16 Get the truth about GMOs and dangerous chemicals -- & how carbs, gluten, fat, & sugar affect your weight, energy, sleep & the Planet. Join for FREE & from anywhere on Earth! Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3761854
127) New!! Pet.: Tell Safeway: Label GMOs in Your Products http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/tell-safeway-label-gmos-in-your-products?akid=10332.5165733.s1mzD2&rd=1&suppress_one_click=true&t=6 Consumers have a right to make healthy, responsible, and informed choices about the food we eat. Pls label Safeway's store-brand products that contain GMOs. Source: Janice T
https://d2dddkdru4ec2z.cloudfront.net/petitions/images/20972/hero/GMO_landing_page.png?1394483815 Source: Janice T.
Video: We Have a Right to Know About GMOs http://thehungersite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ths/petition/LabelGMOs
126) New!! Pet.: Tell Smucker's to Stop Blocking GMO labeling https://secure3.convio.net/engage/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=FAB6F8E45E14F1CB64963AF29D1B7CCE.app322b?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=10461 Source: Janice T
125) New!! Pet.: Tell Starbucks to Support Organics and Stop Fighting GMO Labeling! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/tell_Starbucks_to_dump_GMOs_and_stop_fighting_GMO_labeling/?referring_akid=1184.896082.1_LDuz&source=taf Source: Janice T.
123) New!! Pet.: Don’t let Monsantos GMO’s Contaminate organics http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/tell_the_USDA_2_end_Monsantos_GMO_contamination/ Source: Janice T
EU Set to Approve GM Maize 1507 Despite Rejection by 19 Countries? The EU has failed to act on behalf of the vast majority of its country members & has left the door open for the now expected approval of the EU’s 2nd GM crop for cultivation – GM Maize 1507. Marjolein S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/452328616/3727551
News: 5 Most Horrifying Things About Monsanto http://www.alternet.org/take-action/5-most-horrifying-things-about-monsanto-why-you-should-join-global-movement-and-protest?akid=10477.1088117.fmccps&rd=1&src=newsletter845008&t=3 Fed up with health concerns, environmental threats & political corruption, a Utah mom organizes a global movement against the biotech giant. Beverly M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/904222254/3585413
Monsanto: From Chemicals and Aspirin to GMO Seeds Monsanto is the kind of mustache-twirling Corporate genius everyone loves to hate--for fair reason.The Conglomerate brought genetically modified fare onto our plates, fills the world with herbicide-resistant superweeds, & promises to end rural hunger…Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3757856
122) New!! Pet.: Tell Michelle Obama: Consumers Want Labels on Genetically Modified Foods! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=13500 Tell Michelle Obama: Consumers Want Labels on Genetically Modified Foods! Source: Patricia L.
121) New!! Pet.: Keep Deadly Weed Killer Out of Our Rain and Air http://forcechange.com/108939/keep-deadly-weed-killer-out-of-our-rain-and-air/#.UySIE6jMrsk.care2 Target: US Pres. Barack Obama; Goal: Demand a stop to the use of a weed killer that is poisoning our rain & air - A shocking new investigation revealed that traces of the weed killer ‘Roundup’ were discovered in 75% of air & rain samples in Mississippi’s Delta region. Horrifying implications: as the use of the weed killer is widespread, & could potentially be affecting a huge number of Americans. Studies conducted on Roundup itself draw significant links to Parkinson’s disease & several cancers. Roundup is the flagship weed killer made by Food Giant Monsanto. The presence of this substance is even more worrying as its toxicity has amplified since it was approved for agricultural use. As weeds & pests have grown immune to its effects, Monsanto has increased Roundup’s potency & the amount used..Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3752673
Sowing "Seeds of Hope": An Interview with Jane Goodall JANE GOODALL the world's most famous primatologist, became the 1st to prove that nonhuman animals make tools — but lately she's been spending more time focusing on a life form less intelligent than the Chimpanzees, one that has no brains at all: plants. Her newest book, Seeds of Hope: Wisdom & Wonder From the World of Plants chronicles her lifelong love of all things leafy. "There would be no Chimpanzees without plants, nor human beings either" & confesses that she might never have started studying Apes had she not, as a child, been obsessed with Africa's Forests. Goodall runs the Jane Goodall Inst. to protect Chimpanzees' habitat, & Roots & Shoots to encourage children to become conservationists. She's a U.N. Messenger of Peace & a Dame of the British Empire. “all the horrors of modern agriculture with its chemical pesticides & fertilizers, & then Genetically Modified plants. That was the most chilling of all. Why was that so chilling? Twisted Truth is the most chilling thing I've ever read, about the huge conspiracy by the big Companies who do genetic modification to keep the public from knowing the truth, to subvert the course of justice. It’s really terrifying read…when you put other genes into a plant, you have to shoot them in, & the plant fights every bit it can to keep those alien genes out. The plant doesn’t want them. So they have to shoot them in like miniature cannons. Qian Z. http://www.care2.com/news/member/981786277/3752995
Absolutely Watch Video!! BBC Documentary 2013 Genetically Modified Foods in America 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnRNYSvp0M Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3751323
“What has been done to my children without my consent?!”: A comment made by one mother in the Video
News: Shock findings in new GMO study: Rats fed lifetime of GM corn grow horrifying tumors, 70% of females die early http://www.opednews.com/articles/Shock-findings-in-new-GMO-by-Mike-Adams-120920-879.htmlEating genetically modified corn (GM corn) & consuming trace levels of Monsanto's Roundup chemical fertilizer caused rats to develop horrifying tumors, widespread organ damage, & premature death. That's the conclusion of a shocking new study that looked at the long-term effects of consuming Monsanto's genetically modified corn. Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3456944
117) New!! Pet.: Tell the USDA to Keep Agent GMOs Off Your Plate! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_agent_orange_GMOs_off_your-plate/?rd=1&t=5&referring_akid=1176.451278.gIJaYJ As the 1st generation of biotech crops failed badly, now the Biotech Industry is stepping up the chemical arms race in an effort to make up for the failure of Monsanto’s Roundup. Excessive use of Roundup by GMO farmers has led million of acres of U.S. farmland filled with Roundup resistant superweeds. To combat this, Dow Chemical is petitioning the USDA to approve a new GMO "Agent Orange" corn & soy to tolerate 2,4-D, a main chemical component of the Vietnam era defoliant linked to birth defects, cancer, & hormone disruption. On top of these horrific health problems, 2,4-D is widely known among farmers to be difficult to control during application, leading to drift onto neighboring farms, causing major crop damage & contaminating waterways. These facts have greatly alarmed scientists & farmers, leading a former top Reagan USDA official to declare 2,4-D one of “the most dangerous chemicals out there” Tell the USDA to Dump Dow’s Dangerous Agent Orange GMOs! David B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/768353846/3750728
116) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress and Obama to Label GE Food! https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=10418 The Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act would require the labeling of all GE foods; the first labeling bill to be introduced in the Senate in over a decade! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3749471
115) New!! Pet.: Tell Starbucks to serve only organic, non-GMO milk http://action.greenamerica.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=13224 Starbucks: 1 of the world’s most popular & widespread coffeehouse brands, boasts nearly 20,000 retail stores in over 60 countries. While not genetically modified themselves, dairy products are not immune to the insidious impacts of GMOs. Cows living in concentrated animal feeding operations are fed a grain diet comprised almost entirely of genetically modified corn, soy, alfalfa, & cotton seed. These crops degrade the quality of our land & water, perpetuate Corporate-controlled agriculture, have potentially negative health impacts on livestock. The overuse of antibiotics is contributing to the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, putting us all at risk. With biotech giants Monsanto, Dow Chemical, & Syngenta lending power to industrialized agriculture, the future of our food system rests in the hands of profit-driven Corporations, while people & the planet come last on the list of priorities. Starbucks is already serving rBGH-free dairy & using only USDA-certified organic soy milk. By setting the same organic standard for dairy milk, Starbucks can demonstrate a serious commitment to providing environmentally & socially conscious products. Ask Starbucks to provide organic dairy milk at all of its locations, to support a sustainable future for all.
113) URGENT!! New!! Pet.: Tell the USDA: No ‘Coexistence’ with Monsanto! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12789 send your comments to the USDA before midnight March 4 (2014). According to a recent USDA report, in 2013, about half—169 million acres—of land in the U.S. used for crops were planted in GMO crops (mostly corn, cotton & soybeans). If you think we should protect the other half, submit your comment!! Source: Artur B.
112) New!! URGENT!! Pet.: Tell the USDA to Stop Dow Chemical’s "Agent Orange" Crops http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12645 Dow Chemical, the same Co. that brought us Dursban, Napalm, & Agent Orange, is now in the food business & is pushing for an unprecedented Gov.t approval: Genetically Engineered (GE) versions of corn & soybeans that are designed to survive repeated dousing with 2,4-D, half of the highly toxic chemical mixture Agent Orange. Agent Orange was the chemical defoliant used by the U.S. in Vietnam, & it caused lasting environmental damage as well as many serious medical conditions in both American veterans & the Vietnamese. USDA has just released its draft environmental impact statement & announced a 45-day public comment period on these new crops. Tell USDA & President Obama to reject Dow Chemical’s “Agent Orange” crops! Source: Marsha A.
Monsanto May Finally Kill Off the Endangered Monarch Butterfly The Natural Resources Defense Council is petitioning the EPA to review its glyphosate rules to save the butterflies. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3747968
EWG’s 2014 Shopper’s Guide To Avoiding GE Food Consumers have the right to know if their food has been genetically engineered! The U.S. Gov.t does not require labeling of GE foods or ingredients so that shoppers can make informed decisions. More than 60 other Nations, including France, Germany, Japan, Australia, Russia, China & the U.K., require GE labeling. Consumers have many good reasons to avoid eating genetically engineered ingredients! Source: Marsha A.
111) New!! Pet.: Monsanto: Withdraw your Roundup herbicide from the market, before it's too late for the monarch butterflies! http://action.sumofus.org/a/monsanto-is-killing-the-monarchs/?akid=3949.1581387._jNEyK&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=1 An independent study has linked the Monarch's decline with Monsanto’s Roundup pesticide. This Corporate giant knows what it's doing. But Monsanto says we should balance the butterfly's survival with what it calls "productive agriculture". We need to fight this now, before it’s too late for the butterflies.Tell Monsanto to pull its butterfly-killing herbicide before it’s too late. Source: Waltraud U.
The mass migration of 60 million Monarch Butterflies may soon be history thanks to Monsanto
110) New!! Pet.: Take a stand for Organic Farmers around the World! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/i_am_steve_marsh/?akid=1161.959581.XrBiZQ&rd=1&t=2 An important case is being heard halfway around the world in W. Australia about organic farmer Steve Marsh, whose organic field was contaminated by his neighbor’s genetically engineered canola. Steve lost his organic certification & as much as 70% of Steve’s farm has been contaminated with Monsanto’s patented genes. With clever fine print in their seed contracts, Monsanto is not legally liable for their patented genes contaminating an organic farmer’s field due to their "no liability" agreement they force farmers who plant their GMO seeds to sign. Steve’s farm income & family’s livelihood has been put at risk. He could literally lose everything. Pls stand with organic farmers to protect the rights of organic farmers everywhere! Every voice counts! Source: Artur B.
108) New!! Pet.: Fructose: The healthier choice? http://action.sumofus.org/a/eu-fructose/?akid=2610.1581387.mGVgI5&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=2 Would you call a can of Coke a ‘healthier’ option? Well Cos. like Coke will be able to claim their products are 'healthier' thanks to a new EU regulation on using fructose. There’s only one small problem -- high levels of fructose is a leading cause of obesity around the world. Source: Waltraud U.
107) New!! Pet.: Tell Monsanto: It's Time to Label GMOs! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/tell_Monsanto_shareholders_2_Label_GMOs/?akid=1137.959581.PjhMG0&rd=1&t=4 Help us stand up to Monsanto & demand that they support GMO labeling. We can't let them get away with denying this basic right any longer! The movement to label GMOs has already spread to more than 27 States this year, help us spread the word! Share this message with your family & friends on social media, wherever you can! Every voice counts! Source: Artur B.; Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3708703
106) New!! Pet.: Congress: don't betray Democracy. No "Fast Track" for the TPP! http://cms.fightforthefuture.org/stopfasttrack-email/ Congress is pushing legislation right now that would "Fast Track" the Trans-Pacific Partnership -- a secretive agreement negotiated behind closed doors by Gov.t bureaucrats & more than 600 Corporate Lobbyists. It threatens everything you care about: Democracy, Jobs, the Environment, & the Internet.
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) - What It Really Means The TPP & consequences of the biggest - yet secret - trade deal the world has ever known. The Environment, other Species & We WILL suffer unless we say no to a fast track while there is still time. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3707016
Monsanto’s BT-Toxins Found to Kill Human Embryo Cells Bt- toxins found in GMOs are starting to kill unborn children. Bt-toxins are showing up in pregnant women, & are killing human embryo cells. GMOs & toxins must be scrapped. Important article. Reproductive toxicology: new research from Canada. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3706961
105) New!! Pet.: Fighting for people over profits http://action.sumofus.org/a/tpp-lawsuits/?sub=homepage Giant Philip Morris suing Australia for billionsDollars in lost profits as the Gov.t took action to reduce teenage smoking. Pharma Giant Eli Lilly suing Canada for $500Million, as Canada has laws to keep essential drugs affordable. Cases happening in secret Int.l courts where only Corporations access. Details leaking of 2 global trade pacts (TPP&TTIP) to expand the power of Corp.s to sue our Gov.ts. Fom US to Australia & from EU to Canada negotiating & some could be just days from signing up. Thousands of Corp. lobbyists writing these secret pacts: the public isn't allowed to see them. Gov.ts know that the public won't like these Corporate power grabs, they're hoping to keep them under the radar until it's too late to stop them. Let’s raise our voices. Our Gov.ts are meeting to lock a deal. Demand they reject any secret treaties that increase the power of Corporations in our democracies. Source: Artur B
104) New!! Pet.: Stop Biotech's new GMO Apple http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_the_kiss_of_death_GMO_apple/?akid=1151.959581.SI1SLD&rd=1&t=2 Tragically, a Canadian firm has created a new GMO apple, using a new “gene silencing” technique that could interfere with the expression of genes in humans, even silencing vital human genes, potentially causing serious health problems. Right now, the Obama Admin. is considering the approval of the world’s 1st genetically engineered apple, known as the ArcticApple®, which has been engineered to silence the natural browning enzyme that may help apples fight disease & pests. If approved, this GMO apple will appear on shelves unlabeled & without proper regulation!! Source: Artur B.
93) URGENT!!! Pet.: NEW DEADLINE JANUARY 30: Tell the USDA You Don’t Want a GMO Apple! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12512 Unless the USDA heeds consumers, environmentalists & apple growers who are speaking out against deregulation of the Arctic Apple, the first GMO apple could soon turn up in fast-food restaurants, school cafeterias—even baby food. With no labels to warn consumers!!!. The Arctic Apple poses a risk to human health, a risk to the environment & a risk to conventional & non-organic apple growers. Pls Tell the USDA to reject biotech’s non-browning Frankenapple! Source: Sylvie C.
103) New!! Pet.: Urgent Vote to Support GMO labeling in NH! http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/urgent_support_gmo_labeling_in_NH_2014_now/
Red Alert http://fooddemocracynow.org/blog/2014/jan/20/red_alert_to_kill_GMO_labeling_in_NH_update/
Right now Monsanto & big Food Lobbyists are trying to stop labeling of GM foods. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3703910
New Study Renews Roundup 'Weedkiller' Toxicity Concern A new study raises concern that the world's most popular herbicide glyphosate 'Roundup' used primarily in the production of GM food, represents a serious human health threat with toxicity causing the cell death of 2 different proteins. An important biosafety issue when it comes to the widespread use of glyphosate-based agrichemicals in our food & environment, namely, an ingredient like glyphosate may not reveal its inherent toxicity in isolation, & that toxicological risk assessments performed on these chemicals do not take into account the reality of synergistic toxicity, i.e. the total adverse effects often far exceed the sum of the individual components being evaluated. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3703949
102) New!! Pet.: Croatian Government: stop Monsanto in Croatia https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/croatian_government_stop_monsanto_in_croatia Health Issue!!Source: Ana Marija R.
Good News: Tasmania Extends Ban on GM Crops Indefinitely In a victory for the GMO Free movement in Australia the Tasmanian Gov.t announced Thursday that it has extended the state's ban on genetically modified crops and animals indefinitely. Rose http://www.care2.com/news/member/616982338/3700968
News: No GMO: UK to Conduct Absolutely No GMO Trials in 2014 Though GM wheat & potatoes have been trialed in the UK in recent years, 2014 will mark the 1st year that no GMO trials will occur in places like Norfolk & Cambridgeshire. Jelena R. http://www.care2.com/news/member/248178102/3700443
Terrible News: USDA Moves to Approve "Agent Orange" GMO Seeds http://truth-out.org/news/item/21069-usda-moves-to-approve-agent-orange-gmo-seeds Food safety activists & environmental activists call the GMO seeds "Agent Orange crops" because 2,4-D was a component of the notorious herbicide used by American forces during the Vietnam War that caused serious illnesses among veterans & the Vietnamese population. 2,4-D has continued to be used in the USA & across the world. Pesticide critics point to studies that have linked 2,4-D to health problems such as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a type of cancer. “Any increase in the use of 2,4-D with Enlist corn & soybeans will hit rural communities especially hard, as numerous medical studies have linked 2,4-D & related herbicides to increased rates of cancer & Parkinson’s disease as well as low sperm counts in farmers & to birth anomalies in their children”. Denmark, Sweden, Norway & parts of Canada have banned 2,4-D in light of such research, but the EPA considers the chemical to be relatively safe. In 2012, the EPA denied a petition from environmental groups to cancel the chemical's legal registration. Kit B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/451276626/3697458
99) New!! Pet.: Stop Monsanto's Secret Plan to Kill GMO Labeling http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_Monsantos_secret_plan_to_kill_GMO_labeling/?akid=1124.302707.PieQLG&rd=1&t=3 This is a blatant power grab to deny Americans their basic right to mandatory GMO labeling & protect flawed GMO products - & we can't allow them to get away with it. We need your help today. Every voice counts! Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3698329
News: Why I'm Still Skeptical of GMOs Use of 2,4-D--the less toxic half of the infamous Vietnam-era defoliant Agent Orange--had been dwindling for years, but the rise of Roundup-resistant superweeds has revived it. Nancy C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3697350
News: Growing Scientific Consensus on GMO Safety Fears Scientists, physicians and legal experts around the world have signed the new group statement, "No scientific consensus on GMO safety", which is a "thorough, thoughtful & professional statement". The article contains quotes about their safety concerns. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3689706
News: Confirmed: DNA From Genetically Modified Crops Can Be Transferred Into Humans Who Eat Them In a new study, researchers emphasize that there is sufficient evidence that meal-derived DNA fragments carry complete genes that can enter into the human circulation system through an unknown mechanism. It’s also pretty clear that DNA from food can & does end up in animal tissues & the milk products that people eat. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3698637
Dear Michela M, Since news broke about General Mills' decision to remove GMOs from Cheerios last week, our story has gone viral. Thanks to all of your work, we've gotten over 200 media stories in major publications including: NY Times, Al Jazeera, LA Times, NPR, CNN, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Bloomberg, PBS, Voice of America, and more. Read all about it at the GMO Inside news page.
Cheerios: Next Steps
What's next? Third-party verification of Cheerios' non-GMO status, of course. While we're off investigating Cheerios' ingredients and planning our next targets, join us in thanking General Mills for taking this first step!
96) New!! Click here to share our Thank You on Facebook, and to ask GM for independent non-GMO verification.
95) New!! Pet.: Fight Deregulation of Genetically Engineered Crops http://forcechange.com/99291/fight-deregulation-of-genetically-engineered-crops/#.Us0yUn5u-d0.care2 The USDA is trying to assure the public that 2,4-D is safe, however scientists & medical professionals know better. This herbicide was used as a key ingredient in “Agent Orange” during the Vietnam War, & it has been linked to increased risk of cancer, non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, & Parkinson’s Disease. Fight the deregulation of genetically engineered corn & soybeans because of health & environmental hazards!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3697308
94) New!! Pet.: STOP Monsanto’s Gen-Industry (in German) https://secure.avaaz.org/de/stop_monsanto_in_argentina_global_/?bZUDhbb&v=32874 1,010,365 Signatures Source Waltraud U.
News: GMO-Free Cheerios and the Impact of Social Media http://www.enn.com/business/article/46855 After 40,000 Facebook posts on General Mills Facebook page demanding GM-free Cheerios, the company announces - 'original' Cheerios contain no GM ingredients. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3695640
92) URGENT!!! New!! Pet.: Before Monsanto uncorks the champagne http://www.avaaz.org/en/no_champagne_for_monsanto_loc/?slideshow Monsanto's about to celebrate their biggest coup ever, but we've got until the weekend to stop them!! The Trans-Pacific Partnership is a huge, ultra-secret deal among 12 major Countries that would give Corporations unprecedented power - allowing them to use new global tribunals to sue our Gov.ts for passing laws that protect us, but reduce their profits! This could apply to everything from labeling GMO foods to protecting internet freedom!! I signed with all my & my family mails!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3683321
91) New!! Pet.: Become One of the Millions Against Monsanto! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=8967 Sign Organic Consumers Association's Truth-in-Labeling Petition: As a citizen concerned about the health, environmental, ethical, & socio-economic hazards of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) & industrial-scale factory farms or CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operations), I feel strongly that consumers have an inalienable right to know whether the food we are purchasing likely contains GM ingredients or comes from animals confined in CAFOs. Krish S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/632688960/3683707
90) New!! Pet.: Tell former Senator Blanche Lincoln, Please Stop Influence Peddling for Monsanto & the Rest! http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/ex-senator-blanche-lincoln-please-stop-influence-peddling-for-monsanto-and-the-rest?akid=9571.7491361.hjkrxD&rd=1&suppress_one_click=true&t=3 Cashing in on public service by lobbying for unethical corporations is offensive to the American people. Senator Lincoln: Stop lobbying for Monsanto. Source:Sylvie C.
Throw These Cooking Oils in the Trash http://www.care2.com/greenliving/urgent-throw-these-cooking-oils-in-the-trash.html?page=1 “If they have to put the word ‘natural’ on a box to convince you, it probably isn’t.” But this doesn’t stop countless processed food manufacturers from boldly labeling their products as 100% natural in the hopes of appealing to health-minded shoppers like you. After all, products labeled as “natural” or “sustainable” account for $50 billion in sales annually, or 8% of total retail grocery sales, & the numbers are likely growing. When you see a supposedly “natural” product, like ConAgra’s Wesson brand vegetable oils claim to be, you would probably assume they contain no genetically modified organisms (GMOs), which by definition are not found in nature. But Wesson oils, specifically the Canola Oil, Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil, & Best Blend, do in fact contain GMOs, prompting a class-action lawsuit over their misleading “100% natural” label claim. Any GM Product is, by Definition, NOT Natural. Source: Ruth R.
86) News/Pet.: NDTV dump Monsanto! http://www.greenpeacex.in/petitions/ndtv-dump-monsanto-1 A few days after we delivered signatures to NDTV, activist Anantha Sayanan got a response that NDTV has stopped their campaign with Monsanto & the TV series “Inspiring lives” has been stalled & would not be aired. Monsanto is a controversial Corporation hated by people all over the world, uses unethical practices & evil money to further its agenda. GMOs are banned in many countries. Monsanto is known for its agenda to control food & farming as seen in the case of Bt cotton in India. Cotton was once used by Mahatma Gandhi in the fight for India’s independence, now 93% of our cotton is owned by American Corporation Monsanto’s proprietary technology known as Bt cotton. NDTV is a reputed news organisation & pioneer in Indian TV, it aims to provide accurate news. So why partner with a liar like Monsanto? Monsanto guilty as charged for crimes against nature, against the right of farmers to grow, & consumers to eat, GE-free crops & food. NDTV is misleading the nation by partnering with Monsanto. Source Krish S.
News: Why MONSANTO and TRANS-PACIFIC Partnership EQUAL GLOBAL FOOD DOMINANCE http://www.occupy.com/article/why-monsanto-and-trans-pacific-partnership-equal-global-food-dominance?utm_source=Website+%27Join+Us%27&utm_campaign=d1c257ed2b-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_77fe4a462d-d1c257ed2b-31639141 Global food control has nearly been achieved, by reducing seed diversity with GMO (genetically modified) seeds that are distributed by only a few transnational Corporations. But this agenda has been implemented at grave cost to our health; & if the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) passes, control over not just our Food but our Health, our Environment & our Financial System will be in the hands of transnational Corporations: Profits Before Populations. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3679927
82) New!! Pet.: Support Organic Farmers and Pollinators http://forcechange.com/67325/support-organic-farmers-and-pollinators/#gf_15 The House of Representatives is currently debating a variety of amendments to the new Farm Bill. Up for discussion are 2 important topics that include organic farming & pollinators, including Honey Bees. These are both important to the future of healthy, sustainable agriculture. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3675946
81) New!! Pet.: Protect Consumers from Dangerous Chemical The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently issued yet another warning about a potentially dangerous chemical in many food products. The chemical is acrylamide, & it is found in foods such as potatoes, crackers, cereals, breads & several others. Cher C.http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3675014
79) New!! Pet.: Corporate interests won in Washington State, but we can win in Washington, D.C.! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12401 In what became a disappointing replay of last year’s vote on California’s GE labeling bill (Prop 37), big Food & Chemical Corporations dumped millions of $ into defeating the initiative, with a carefully coordinated smear campaign to mislead voters. These out of state Corporations poured an outrageous $22 million $ into the “No” campaign in Washington, & a shocking $45 million into the “No” campaign in California last year. Tell Obama & the FDA it’s time to label GE foods nationwide! Robert S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/101693842/3672920
News: The Unhealthiest Restaurant Chain in America http://www.alternet.org/food/unhealthiest-restaurant-chain-america The Cheesecake Factory's Pasta Carbonara will saddle you with a heaving, gut-busting 2,500 calories & 85 grams of saturated fat. That's the fat equivalent of four days of heavy-duty meals. Robert S.
News: Decoding Food Labels http://www.greenlivingonline.com/article/decoding-food-labels What do food buzzwords like "organic" & "free-range" really mean? Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3661346
77) New!! Pet.: Commend Banning of Genetically Modified Corn http://forcechange.com/88351/commend-banning-of-genetically-modified-corn/ Genetically engineered corn is now banned in Mexico, thanks to Judge Jaime Eduardo Verdugo of Mexico City. Biotech Industrial Cos. will no longer be able to plant or sell their strains of corn within the country's borders, effective immediately. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3660931
75) New!! Pet.: Protect Monarch Butterflies from Monsanto We ask the EPA to restict the use of the herbicide, Roundup, & consider current reseach to protect the monarch butterfly. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3659228
74) New!! Pet. No GMOs, Cheerios! http://action.greenamerica.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=9239 While General Mills promotes the health benefits of Cheerios for their whole grain oats, it is silent about the fact that many of the other ingredients in Cheerios sold in the US are at high risk for containing GMOs. While concealing its use of GMOs in the US & Canada, General Mills offers non-GMO Cheerios to consumers in Europe. Most industrialized countries have required GMO labeling for years. In Europe, General Mills manufactures Cheerios without GMOs, or if it sells Cheerios in Europe that are manufactured in North America, the product is labeled as “likely containing GMOs.” Adding insult to injury, General Mills spent $1.1 million to oppose GMO labeling legislation in CA, thus perpetuating consumer deception. Jeanne S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/984224062/3658722
News: Monsanto’s deception game on GMO in Europe http://rt.com/op-edge/monsanto-deception-game-europe-gmo-261/
On May 31 world media headlines read "Monsanto backing away from GMO crops in Europe." But before the world opens the champagne to celebrate the death of GMO, it is worthwhile to look more closely at what was officially said & what not. Elderberry C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/752401167/3592655
News: Italy Bans Monsanto Maize http://www.greenerideal.com/politics/0725-italy-bans-monsanto-maize/ Three Italian ministries are attempting to ban Monsanto’s MON810 strain of maize, one of 2 GM crops currently grown & sold in Europe. Citing the crop’s negative impacts on local biodiversity, Italy’s agricultural ministry is leading the country’s charge against the corporate giant. The temporary ban would prevent farmers from using this strain for a period of up to 18 months.“Our agriculture is based on biodiversity, on quality, & these we must continue to aim for, without games that even from an economic point of view would not make us competitive”. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3615978
News: Biotechnology or Agroecology? The Monsanto Debate from Both Sides http://www.greenerideal.com/business/1016-monsanto-debate-from-both-sides/ October 12 marked the 2nd March Against Monsanto this year, with actions planned in 52 countries & over 400 cities. Monsanto, which owns 90% of the world’s Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO’s), is perhaps most famous for its production & supplying of Agent Orange to the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. Agent Orange, which contained a toxic dioxin compound, killed approx. 400,000 people & caused approx. 500,000 cases of birth defects. Other notable products include DDT, banned in the U.S. in 1972, & Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH), controversial for its effects on dairy cows & humans. With a growing public awareness of GM food risks, biotechnology, mono-cultures & food (in)security, Monsanto faces a public relations crisis. Along with Walmart, BP, Apple, et al, it is a Corporation people love to hate. Discussion about: Monsanto Causes Farmer Suicides; Monsanto Uses “Terminator Technology”; Monsanto Suppresses GMO Labelling & Research; Monsanto & Bureaucrats are Co-Conspirators… Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3658760
73) New!! Pet.: And the award goes to…Monsanto? http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12218 This year’s World Food Prize-a prize dedicated to furthering a “nutritious & sustainable food supply”-will be awarded to top executives at Monsanto & Syngenta for creating GE crops. GE crops are about feeding the profits of biotech giants, not the world’s hungry. Sign Petition to the World Food Prize Foundation! Jeanne S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/984224062/3656463
71) New!! Pet.: Commend Senator for Putting Monsanto in its Place http://forcechange.com/83407/commend-senator-for-putting-monsanto-in-its-place/#.UlPaoo3Qcns.care2 The Monsanto Protection Act gave Monsanto leeway to bypass federal court decisions that would have protected consumer health. Now that it has been crushed, the USDA will have the ability to protect the public from illegal Genetically Engineered crops. Commend Senator Barbara Mikulski for helping to protect our country’s food. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3654309
70) New!! Pet.: Tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto and bee-killer Syngenta’s outrageous practices http://action.sumofus.org/a/world-food-prize-monsanto-syngenta/?sub=mtl In an obscene development, a Monsanto executive is winning this year’s “Nobel Prize of agriculture”, the prestigious World Food Prize, for creating GMOs. Receiving it legitimizes the sort of rampant genetic modification Monsanto pioneered, & helps validate a ruthless business model that impoverishes farmers & monopolizes our food. If that wasn't baffling enough, the founder of Syngenta, the same biotech giant joining Bayer in suing Europe to keep selling bee-killing pesticides, will also win the prize & a share of the $250,000 prize money. We cannot allow this prize to legitimize frankenfoods & bee killers. The ceremony is in less than 2 weeks, we need to act now. Tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto & bee-killer Syngenta’s outrageous practices. Winning this prize will encourage the wider use of GMO & be a huge obstacle to those fighting to investigate the long-term effects of its frankenseeds, which is exactly what Monsanto wants. In 2008, Monsanto made a $5 million pledge to the World Food Prize Foundation, part of its plan to buy the credibility it can’t legitimately earn. By handing its benefactor this award, the Foundation risks undermining the credibility of the most respected prize in agriculture. In protest, 81 Councilors of the World Future Council have penned a statement blasting the World Food Prize Foundation for betraying its purpose: “GMO seeds reinforce a model of farming that undermines sustainability of cash-poor farmers, who make up most of the world's hungry… The most dramatic impact of such dependency is in India, where 270,000 farmers, many trapped in debt for buying seeds & chemicals, committed suicide between 1995&2012.” Source: Kathleen R.; Cal M.
68) New!! Pet.: Tell Gerber: no GMO apples in Baby Food http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14237 Baby Food Cos. are one of the most significant purchasers of apples & Gerber is one of the world's largest Baby Food Cos., it won't be labeled & won't have undergone independent safety testing. Jeanne S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/984224062/3638853?cid=email_na#
Video: Monsanto & Santos are destroying Colombian Families http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoClamUuO4&feature=player_embedded Colombia native seeds have entered the privatization process in the framework of the FTA with the USA & has penalized its traditional use, putting fragile food sovereignty, culture & the Megadiversity in danger. Claudia A.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/846052047/3633809
65) New!! Pet.: Tell the FDA to label Genetically Engineered foods! http://action.ewg.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1948 Genetically engineered foods are appearing on supermarket shelves with increasing frequency. While the scientific debate about the benefits & risks of genetically engineered crops is vigorous & unlikely to reach a consensus anytime soon, you have a right to know what you are eating now. Stand with EWG & the Just Label It campaign today & sign our petition to the FDA demanding that genetically engineered foods are labeled! Source Mike M.
Video: Dining In The Dark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz-Lve6xJsE
64) New!! Pet.: Tell the FDA to label Genetically Engineered food http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5452 In the U.S., we pride ourselves on having choices & making informed decisions. Under current FDA regulations, we don't have that choice when it comes to Genetically Engineered (GE) ingredients in the foods we purchase & feed our families. GE foods are required to be labeled in the 15 European Union nations, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, New Zealand, & many other countries around the world. A poll released by ABC News found that 93% of the American public wants the federal Gov.t to require mandatory labeling of GE foods. Yet the U.S. is one of the only developed countries in the world that doesn’t require labeling. Source Mike M.
Video: Flush Monsanto's TPP! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRxr4tDfouc&feature=player_embedded Once upon a time in India there was this very dangerous man named Gandhi, & he said "Truth never damages a cause that is just." Corporate citizens, however, won't allow truth to damage a cause that is just for them. Monsanto will assure it. Source Mike M.; Dandelion http://www.care2.com/news/member/901507364/3633521
Video: Obama Signs The Monsanto Protection Act - Seeds Of Death- Full Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XtCcMeWrw&feature=player_embedded#t=1780 Every single independent study conducted on the impact of genetically modified food shows that it damages organs, it causes infertility, it causes immune system failure, it causes holes in the GI tract, & it causes multiple organ system failure. Source Mike M.; Dandelion http://www.care2.com/news/member/901507364/3633506
Another problem of HONESTLY LABELLING an ingredient that
WE UNWILLINGLY & UNCONSCIOUSLY HAVE EATEN, EAT, & ARE GOING TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!
PALM OIL, labelled as "VEGETABLE OILS"(???), &
GMO, NOT BEING LABELLED AT ALL!!!!!
WE HAVE THE FULL RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT WE ARE EATING!!!
BUT usually big CORPORATIONS DO NOT WANT US TO KNOW!!! because they KNOW that WE ARE NOT GOING TO CHOOSE, PICK from the Supermarket shelves & BUY "THAT" PRODUCT!!!! THIS IS DONE PURPOSELY = for their MONEY & GREED...
News: Monsanto, Big Agribusiness to Spend Millions on GMO Propaganda http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/312-16/18763-monsanto-big-agribusiness-to-spend-millions-on-gmo-propaganda Polls show it will take a lot more than new public relations tricks to convince consumers.- Can industry front groups and slick public relations firms convince us that the products they're peddling are not only safe, but good for us? Will the millions they spend on websites & advertorials pay off? We're guessing not, given the latest New York Times pollstating that 93% of Americans want labels on foods containing GMOs.!! Kit B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/451276626/3622212
61) New!! Pet.: Monsanto: Stop ignoring Roundup's dangers http://action.sumofus.org/a/monsanto-roundup-dangers/4/2/?akid=1814.1084930.ZJbNL7&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=1 Tell Monsanto: Stop ignoring the deadly effects of your top herbicide. Provide more information about the real effects of Roundup. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3596865
All the CONTENTS of ALL the Topics in the Billboard previous than 2 weeks ago have DISAPPEARED (this means back to 2010): Petitions, Pictures, News, Info!!!!!!!!
This means that my work, until 4:30 - 5:00 a.m., was LOST!!
I SINCERELY HOPE that the contents will be restored!!!
This Group is the ONLY reason why I'm on Care2!!!!
I've been off the computer for a week due to something akin to carpal tunnel, and I was so sorry to hear of the 'disappearance'!!!! Waiting, with all of you, to see what happens. Don't give up, Michela. After Facebook, surely care2 can't destroy all of your hard work!! Can't type much more, but'll check the most recent petitions on the Monsanto topic.
I can say that Connecticut has stopped Monsanto and I read the Europe is now resisting any attempts at mis- or non-labelling, so there's good news out there, I'm happy to say.
We are looking into a database issue. Hang in there and sorry for the troubles.
By the way, an awesome, truly awesome group going here!! Thanks everyone!!!
I don't understand what happened in this Topic!!! Everything before 3 weeks ago has abruptly DISAPPEARED!!!!!!! ????!!!!!
58) New!! Pet.: Tell the USDA: No More Field Trials of Unapproved GMO Crops! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=11113
An Oregon farmer found an unapproved, illegal variety of wheat, genetically engineered by Monsanto to withstand the company's toxic RoundUp herbicide, growing on his property. The rogue GMO wheat was discovered a full 8 years after Monsanto’s last known field trials in the state. It’s proof that GMO crops, legal or otherwise, have the potential to contaminate conventional non-GMO & organic crops. How many other unknown instances of contamination have occurred but have not yet been discovered? with Monsanto conducting hundreds of field trials of GMO crops in the US? Demand an immediate moratorium on all field trials of genetically engineered crops, incl. wheat. The variety of illegal wheat discovered in Oregon was field-tested in 16 States, from 1998to2005. Monsanto is still doing field tests of GMO wheat today, in N.Dakota & Hawaii, though the Co. has tried to portray its wheat program as closed out 9yrs ago. Once Monsanto's wheat is under control, USDA should turn his attention to the hundreds of other GMO field trials, any one of which could create the next contamination crisis. USDA's biotechnology database: hundreds of GMO field trials in every region of the country. USDA is testing GMO grapefruits&oranges in FL. Cornell Univ. in CA is testing GMO grapes. Monsanto is testing dicamba-tolerant GMO soybeans in AL, AR, AZ, CO, DE, GA, HI, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NY, OH, PuertoRico, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA & WI. Why would Monsanto need to test a single variety of GE soybeans in 30 states? Before it’s been approved for human consumption? Could the biotech giant be trying to contaminate the food supply with unapproved GMOs? Intentional contamination occurred in Paraguay, before GMOs were approved. Paraguay's Dep Agriculture Ministry, admits: "It’s possible that [Monsanto], promoted its varieties & its seeds" before they were approved. "We had to authorize GMO seeds because they had already entered our country in an unorthodox way."
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo have made it clear that they would like to keep these dangers hidden from those who purchase their products. These corporations, two of the most well-known and successful food and beverage providers in the world, are doing their best to deny consumers in America the right to know what is in the food they eat. In November of 2012, the two corporations spent more than $4.1 million combined to oppose GMO labeling, with PepsiCo spending $2,485,400 and Coca-Cola spending $1,700,50.
Nancy C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3581951
Target: Secretary of State John Kerry; Goal: Stop promoting genetically engineered foods abroad
American taxpayer's dollars are being spent to aggressively push genetically engineered & genetically modified crops onto foreign countries, despite the objections of citizens of those countries. The State Dept. is directly involved in this practice, which means that agrochemical companies (mainly Monsanto) have our Gov.t eating out of their hand.
Frans B. http://www.care2.com/news/member/774550352/3588842
-NDTV in it's new TV series talks about democracy & improving peoples lives.Then why is it partnering with a corporation like Monsanto known for using unscrupulous means to propagate its trade.
-NDTV is a reputed news organisation & pioneer in Indian TV news space. It aims to provide accurate news. So why partner with a liar like Monsanto?
- Monsanto is a controversial corporation hated by people all over the world. Monsanto uses unethical practices & evil money to further its agenda. GMOs are banned in so many countries. There is a lot of resistance to it in India as well.
- Monsanto is known for its agenda to control food & farming as seen in the case of Bt cotton in India. Cotton was once used by Mahatma Gandhi in the fight for India’s independence, now 93% of our cotton is owned by American company Monsanto’s proprietary technology known as Bt cotton.
Source: Jaya S.
Last week the Connecticut Senate passed a heroic GMO labeling bill by a vote to 35 to 1. Tragically, in response, Governor Malloy (D-CT) & Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey (D-Hamden) intentionally forced a weak amendment on a House version of the bill that gutted any serious labeling of GMOs in the state. It's outrageous that for the second year in a row that Gov. Malloy & Speaker Sharkey have worked together to stop serious efforts to get a strong GMO labeling bill passed in Connecticut. We need your help today to make sure we can win GMO labeling this year! With only a few weeks left, we need you to act today! Join us to help make GMO labeling a reality in Connecticut!
Source: Jeanne S.
I'm torn between 'Ay yi yi' and 'Oy veh'! Seriously, this hits me as hard as whatever the heck is going on in America's Congress?!?! I guess it all comes down to money talking. It's simply SHAMEFUL! God, help us! And thanks to Michela and Jeanne and everyone in the group!
above News: 10 Ways to Starve a Multi-National GMO Conglomerate
Elderberry C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/752401167/3588596
8. Join a food co-0p. Localharvest.org: “Food cooperatives are worker or customer owned businesses that provide grocery items of the highest quality & best value to their members. Coops can take the shape of retail stores or buying clubs. All food coops are committed to consumer education,product quality, & member control, & usually support their local communities by selling produce grown locally by family farms.” Food co-ops can be found HERE & HERE.
9. Support restaurants that buy locally. The locavore movement is catching on. If you choose to go out to dinner, opt for restaurants that have seasonal menus based on local harvests. You can find a list of such eateries HERE.
10. Educate friends, family, & the local community. Extend the activism beyond your own kitchen by helping to promote the local options. Lots of people have no idea what to do with swiss chard or rutabagas. Volunteer to teach a cooking class that focuses on seasonal foods. Write up flyers to be inserted with co-op or CSA baskets with instructions on how to prepare that months’ harvest. Submit seasonal recipes to your local paper. Educate, educate, educate, on the benefits & importance of locally grown, non-GMO food.
Grass roots activism like Occupy Monsanto & the March Against Monsanto built a tidal wave of momentum against the GMO contaminating our supplies. We, everyday, ordinary people, can keep the movement going by remembering that the real votes are counted at the cash register.
& some reusable bags & head out to your local farmer’s market. Not only can you shop for vibrant, fresh-picked fruits & veggies, but many markets also offer home-baked goods, jams & jellies, & local meats. Be sure that you are buying directly from farmers. Some vendors buy from the same markets that the grocery stores do. Talk to the vendor & learn about the origin of the offerings.
5. Buy directly from the farm. If you live in a more rural area, shopping locally can be as easy as visiting a neighboring farm. Some set up roadside stands, others rely on the honor system, & others have small shops with their freshly harvested offerings.
6. Visit a pick-your-own farm. A great outing for the whole family is a pick-your-own farm. Even better, the price for fresh berries or apples is often lower when you provide your own labor. A morning spent in the field picking strawberries is both educational & a fun way to bond with your children. You can find a PYO farm in your area HERE.
7. Learn to preserve food. Many of us live in a climate doesn’t allow for fresh harvests year-round. You can acquire fresh produce in large quantities (like bushel baskets) for a far better price than a weekly supply. Canning, freezing, & dehydrating are 3 great ways to preserve that fresh picked goodness to enjoy in the middle of winter, while still avoiding the grocery store & it’s Monsanto-filled shelves.
1. Stop shopping at grocery stores. With farmer’s markets, roadside stands in the country, vegetable gardens, privately owned butcher shops, & mail order sources for bulk purchases of organic grains, there is no reason you need to ever set foot in another chilly, fluorescent-lit, chemical warfare zone again!
2. Eat seasonally. Seasonal eating has a host of benefits: it’s healthier, cheaper, far easier to find in-season foods locally grown.
3. Join a CSA. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. When you join a CSA, you are buying shares in the harvest. This is a great way to support local farmers. You pay in advance & then as the harvest comes in, it is divided among shareholders. Each CSA is different – some divvy up only produce, while others share eggs & dairy products as well.
4. Make the farmer’s market a weekly destination. Grab the kids
News: US Tax Dollars Promote Monsanto's GMO Crops Overseas http://www.moneynews.com/Companies/tax-dollars-monsanto-crops/2013/05/14/id/504379?s=al&promo_code=137EC-1
U.S. taxpayers are footing the bill for overseas lobbying that promotes controversial biotech crops developed by U.S.-based Monsanto Co. & other seed makers.
"It really goes beyond promoting the U.S.'s biotech industry & agriculture," "It really gets down to twisting the arms of countries & working to undermine local democratic movements that may be opposed to biotech crops, & pressuring foreign governments to also reduce the oversight of biotech crops."
Lynn Price http://www.care2.com/news/member/521141541/3580917
It has already begun: Japan has just cancelled a large contract to purchase U.S. wheat. "We will refrain from buying western white and feed wheat effective today," Toru Hisadome, a Japanese farm ministry official in charge of wheat trading, told Reuters.
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/040572_Japan_GE_wheat_genetic_pollution.html#ixzz2UtGNVnKL
Last week the Connecticut Senate passed a heroic GMO labeling bill by a vote to 35 to 1. Tragically, in response, Governor Malloy (D-CT) and Speaker of the House Brendan Sharkey (D-Hamden) intentionally forced a weak amendment on a House version of the bill that gutted any serious labeling of GMOs in the state. It's outrageous that for the second year in a row that Gov. Malloy and Speaker Sharkey have worked together to stop serious efforts to get a strong GMO labeling bill passed in Connecticut.
FaceBook Disabled my Account in May2010!!! On FB I had recruited more than 3,500 to my Animal/Environmental Causes (OrangutanOutreach, OrangutanLandTrust, Don't Palm Us Off, JaneGoodall Inst., TheCove, Rapes in Congo, etc) I had 3,500 Friends & made Donations for $635. I LOST EVERYTHING when FB Disabled my Account (Entered the Care2 Community thereafter: in June2010). FB Disabled my ACCOUNT because I was posting my Link to “my” Petition for Orangutans, Tigers, Elephants, Wildlife, Biodiversity, Rainforests, “Label PalmOil" for which I worked hard, even 10 hrs/day, since when my UK friend Ryno Nel wrote it & I signed it for 3rd. FB considered it as a SPAM declaring I violated their rules!! Isn’t it more probable that the "PalmOil"/Oil/Logging/FastFood Lobby(Corporations) defend their Money/Greed Interests?? In the same days: FB blocked also the Petition Against BP(the Gulf Disaster)!! Even if they DISABLED me: my Orangutan Petition reached Total 6,455 Signatures!!! Afterwards it was awaiting decisions by the EUParliament. If I disappear also from Care2 you know why....
Millions around the world rallied against Monsanto today, marching in person in nearly 300 cities & spreading the message of food freedom across websites, Facebook & Twitter.
In Austin, Texas, at least a thousand people took part in an upbeat, passionate celebration of food freedom, farm freedom & labeling or eliminating GMOs from the food supply. Although the day was rainy (which is rare for Austin), people & families showed up in huge numbers to support the message of protecting our food supply from Monsanto & the biotech industry.
Petitions signed. Those poor rats. They subject these poor little animals to this horrible lab testing, which is totally immoral and then when they see the results, they still want to grow this garbage and feed it to us. Share, share, share this info far and wide!
Notice: It’s a Worldwide Petition!!! If not US: State: set Other. The Senate has begun debate this week on amendments to the Farm Bill. Tell Congress to Repeal the "Monsanto Protection Act" & Support Pro-Farmer, Pro-Environment, & Pro-Consumer Amendments!
Beverly M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/904222254/3586348
49) New!! Pet.: Tell the EPA You Want Lower, Not Higher, Limits on Monsanto's Roundup! http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=10886
When does 1 plus 1 not equal 2? When mounting evidence says glyphosate, the key ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup pesticide, does more damage to our health & environment than we thought. And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) responds by approving higher, not lower, allowable limits of the pesticide residue.
Beverly M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/904222254/3582280
48) New!! Pet.: Label genetically engineered foods! http://action.ewg.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=2024&tag=201305FBGEAmendFull&utm_source=201305fbgeamendfull&utm_medium=email&utm_content=image&utm_campaign=food
Every American has a right to know what's in our food - including whether it contains genetically engineered ingredients. Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., introduced an amendment to the 2013 farm bill that would show support for what more than 90% of Americans want: labeling foods with genetically engineered ingredients. Tell your senators today that you want them to support this right-to-know amendment before the Senate votes on farm bill amendments.
Beverly M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/904222254/3583690
News: Concerns associated with GMs (Sydney March Against Monsanto fb page):
Environmental Risks – There has been inadequate testing of the effect that GM crops can have on the other species due to crossing of genes between kingdoms. Basically, GM crops can contaminate the ecology. If that happens the product is cannot be recalled.
Health Risks – There is still uncertainty regarding the safety of GM foods & consumers are cautious about eating them. The Australian regulatory framework (OGTR & FSANZ) does not do independent health testing instead they rely on the GM industry to provide information regarding the effects on health. This is a major conflict of interests.
Farmers Misled – The benefits fail to live up to what's promised for example GM canola has been performing below average.
Coexistence Impossible – Non-GM farmers are expected to prevent GM contaminatation, otherwise they run the risk of being sued for growing a patented crop &/or breaking contractual agreements if crops are contaminatated.
Marketing – Many export & domestic markets don't want to buy GM or GM contaminatated crops. Farmers have a right & responsibility to provide non-GM crops. Furthermore, costs to supply the non-GM market are higher than GM partly due to management & testing against contaminatation.
Legislation – No adequate Federal legislation exist to address concerns presented by farmers. The GM industry dominates plans for preparedness & coexistence. This is a clear conflicts of interest.
Patents – GM crops patented by agribusiness are unique. They undermine the independence & rights of farmers leading to a dependency on a small number of agribusiness corporations. Contaminatation of non-GM crops can result in farmers being forced to pay patent royalties.
Herbicide Resistance – Many GM crops are developed to be herbicide resistant. Weeds have developed resistance to the herbicide which has lead to an increased use of herbicide that GM proponents want to solve by using more toxic herbicides. The increase use of herbicides reduce surrounding biodiversity leading to increase in use of insecticides.
Source: Jenny C.
Thank you Michelle I stand with ya ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Thank you for protecting, fighting, educating people like me, standing up to the poisons, lies, deceit that are destroying our planet earth and innocent animals. God bless you for ALL work your doing Michelle thank you so much!!!!!!
Monsanto's actions are designed to maximize its corporate profits, not to serve the people. Its entire seed-and-herbicide business model is designed to trap farmers in a system of economic dependence... to turn farmers into indentured servants who can never return to traditional farming after their soil has been destroyed with Roundup.
Death over life
Monsanto's products cause death. They compromise and violate life. Monsanto's GM corn grown a toxic chemical right inside each and every corn kernel. This corn is what is subsequently eaten by humans.
In the below link you can see the horrible facts what GMO does with rats.
A shocking 70 percent of female rats died prematurely when fed GMOs. 50 percent of males died early. Almost all of them died from cancer tumors.
Read more about the link between GMOs & cancer tumors at:
Still, despite the lopsided campaign funding power, voting on Prop 37 was relatively close. As of this story's publish time (98.5% of precincts reporting), Prop 37 was able to gain 47% of California's vote.
Opponents of Prop 37 blitzed California with campaign ads on a variety of different reasons GMO labeling would be costly for consumers & punitive to businesses like small farms & mom-&-pop stores. The anti-Prop 37 movement also gained endorsements from prominent publications like the Los Angeles Times & the San Francisco Chronicle -- not because the newspapers were against GMO labeling, but because of the way the ballot initiative was written.Nancy: http://www.care2.com/news/member/830372471/3481814
News: Monsanto, pesticide Companies have now spent more than $19 million to kill Prop. 37 http://www.naturalnews.com/037273_Proposition_37_Monsanto_corporations.html
The most evil corporation in the world, Monsanto, has forked over another $2.89 million to kill Proposition 37, the historic bill that, if passed, will require genetically-modified (GM) foods & food ingredients to be labeled at the retail level in California.
Combined with its other recent contributions of more than $4.2 million (http://www.naturalnews.com), Monsanto has now officially shelled out a total of more than $7.1 million to prevent consumers from knowing the truth about what is really contained in the foods they buy.
Along with Monsanto's latest contributions were similar contributions by the other five of the "Big Six" pesticide firms: DuPont, Bayer, Dow, BASF, & Syngenta -- which together gave more than $2.6 million to the No on 37 campaign as part of their most recent contributions. To date, the "Big Six" have collectively contributed nearly $20 million to keep Californians in the dark about GMOs.
Action: March Against Monsanto: May 25, Everywhere http://occupy-monsanto.com/tag/march/ Activists around the world will unite to March Against Monsanto!! Chances are Monsanto contaminated the food you ate today with chemicals & unlabelled GMOs, Monsanto controls much of the world's food supply at the expense of food democracy worldwide. Why we March Against Monsanto: Voting with your $ by buying organic & boycotting Monsanto-owned cos. that use GMOs; Labelling of GMOs so that consumers can make informed decisions easier; Repealing relevant provisions of the US’s “Monsanto Protection Act”; Calling for further scientific research on the health effects of GMOs; Holding Monsanto executives&Monsanto-supporting politicians accountable through direct communication, grassroots journalism, social media; Continuing to inform the public about Monsanto’s secrets; Taking to the streets to show the world & Monsanto that we won’t take these injustices quietly.
Jeanne S.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/984224062/3575688?cid=email_na
Video: March Against Monsanto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzN9h0UXcQ&feature=player_embedded#!
Other Videos at the bottom: http://occupy-monsanto.com/tag/march/
A growing body of evidence is pointing to harmful effects of eating Gemetically Modified Foods. With full scope of the hazards & risks of Genetically Modified Organisms are still unknown, coupled with an overburdened healthcare system, it’s important that consumers make informed choices in what they eat.
Target: The U.S. President, Senate, & House -
70% percent or more of our food contains genetically engineered food brought by the bio-tech giant: Monsanto. GMO is endangering people's health & our environment at an alarming rate. Cross-contamination is irreversible & good, organic crops are being jeopardized. These seeds are incredibly expensive compared to the traditional ones & have been genetically modified to produce their own pesticide, to survive the spraying of the: "Roundup", a potent herbicide & to self terminate. This has lead our farmers to buy new GMO seeds each year & depend on Monsanto. As a result of this ruthless drive to use India as a testing ground for genetically modified crops, 125,000 farmers took their own lives. These people were driven to debt, to economic distress, homeless & landless. GMO has & is failing catastrophically.This company is persecuting, bullying & bringing farms to bankruptcy.
GMO was never adequat