66) New!! Pet.: Green a film by Patrick Rouxel needs to be broadcast on the BBC http://www.thepetitionsite.com/649/318/365/green-a-film-by-patrick-rouxel-needs-to-be-broadcast-on-the-bbc/ We need to get this documentary aired so that people are made aware of the devastating impact of Palm Oil, its affects on the future of not only Wildlife such as Orangutans but also on the Deforestation of Rainforests - we need a "Blackfish Effect"! Unfortunately it is becoming apparent that many products are using Palm Oil! these greedy Corporations such as Kelloggs, Unilever & Kraft seriously need to change their ways, we do not need Palm Oil it is an unnecessary ingredient & it is becoming increasing harder to source products that do not use it. We coped perfectly well before this & will do so once it has been obliterated off the face of the earth. Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3839264
65) New!! Pet.: Demand Justice for Orangutan shot 40 times and Action against MAKIN Group https://www.change.org/p/indonesian-minister-of-forestry-and-environment-siti-nurbaya-demand-justice-for-orangutan-shot-40-times-and-action-against-makin-group On Dec. 3, 2014, a horribly abused Orangutan was discovered in Kalimantan on an Oil Palm plantation of Makin Group. She had 40 shotgun pellets in her body, both of her legs & arms were broken & one arm was decomposing. She died an agonizing death! This incident involving the Makin Group is not isolated. Makin Group has a long history of killing endangered orangutans and illegally destroying orangutan habitat for Palm Oil. According to the Centre for Orangutan Protection, from March 2003 until June 2006, the rescue team of the Central Kalimantan Natural Resources Conservation Center (BKSDA) & the Orangutan Reintroduction Center in Nyarumenteng rescued over 200 Orangutans in Kotawaringin Timur & Katingan, Kalimantan. These Orangutans were the direct victims of Makin Group. Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3829775
64) New!! Pet.: Help save the forests of Borneo and the Orangutans that live there from loggers http://www.thepetitionsite.com/162/921/080/help-save-the-forests-of-borneo-and-the-orangutans-that-live-there-from-loggers/ A major wood fiber concession has begun developing a massive area of forest in West Kalimantan on the island of Indonesian Borneo - threatening critical habitat for many endangered species incl. the Oranguatan. The remaining 46,200 hectares are critical Bornean Orangutan habitat. The wild Bornean Orangutan population is left at just 45,000 individuals due to loss of habitat as a result of deforestation on the island. The province of W. Kalimantan lost 280,275 hectares of tree cover in 2012 alone due to mining, wood fiber, & Palm Oil concessions. The forests that remain need to be protected & preserved. Pls sign & share it to bring pressure on the Indonesian Gov.t to stop the wood fiber concession in W. Kalimantan. Anna P. http://www.care2.com/news/member/862450128/3834490
63) New!! Pet.: Stop Coal Road in Endangered Species Habitat http://forcechange.com/136599/stop-coal-road-in-endangered-species-habitat/ A proposed coal road cutting through Harapan Rainforest, home to critically endangered species like the Asian Elephant, Sumatran Rhinoceros, & Sumatran Tiger, threatens vital habitat. The Asian Elephant, slightly smaller than its cousin the African elephant, has already faced devastating threats from hunters & poachers who kill them for their ivory tusks. Deforestation is also a major threat to the survival of this species. Another large mammal, the Sumatran Rhinoceros, is one of only 5 species of rhinos still alive in the world today, & best estimates indicate that there are fewer than 100 of this species left in the wild. Sumatran Tigers are also fighting to survive amidst deforestation & poaching in order to sell their body parts; fewer than 1,000 are alive in the wild. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3833456
62) New!! Actions: Your Soap Bar Is Killing Endangered Orangutans https://www.thedodo.com/orangutan-killed-borneo-palm-860568193.html?utm_source=The+Dodo+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0b1ee97698-12_6_2014_NL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4342b46fc5-0b1ee97698-142038149 A dying Orangutan was found lying in Borneo with 40 air rifle pellets in her body, 10 of them in her head. Her arms & legs were broken &, despite the best efforts of medics, she died on Thursday. The Orangutan had been living on the fringes of a Palm Oil plantation, a farm that produces oil used in many packaged foods. It’s also in lipsticks, soaps, biodiesel & countless other products. The plantations are notorious for conflict with Orangutans, because they usually set up shop in the heart of Orangutan habitat. And, according to the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation, the group that tried to rescue the female Orangutan, Palm Oil plantations have been known to provoke similar incidents all over Indonesia. "This added a long list of conflict between industry & wildlife, as well as [the] practice of nature exploitation". This endangered species has about 54,500 individuals left in the wild. Less than 14% of what it was in the middle of the 20th century. The slaughter of Orangutans happens all the time in Indonesia. A 2011 study found that 750 Orangutans were killed in just 1 year. Estimates for previous years have been even higher. Though killing an Orangutan is illegal in Indonesia — many cases have linked employees at Palm Oil Cos. to the slaughter. The arrests of 2 Palm Oil workers in 2011 for Orangutan killings revealed that the men were paid $100 for each Ape by the plantation owners. Palm Oil owners see them as pests, because they sometimes eat their crops. This, combined with hunting for food & the pet trade, makes conflict with humans one of the largest threats to Bornean Orangutans. Not only are some rogue Palm Oil Cos. seeking out Orangutans to slaughter them, some are also killing them in another way: cutting off their food supply. Over the past 50 years, Indonesia has lost half of its Rainforests, which harbor the foods & habitats that Orangutans need to survive. One of the best ways to help save orangutans is to boycott companies that source unsustainable Palm Oil — & to demand that they improve their standards. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3828278
61) New!! Pet.: No forest destruction for coal! Justice for the people of Borneo! http://action.wdm.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1784&ea.campaign.id=32586&ea.tracking.id=website Deep in the heart of Borneo, communities & local activists are mobilising against a dangerous new threat to their livelihoods. BHP-Billiton is planning to build massive coal mines stretching over an area more than twice the size of London, destroying some of the last pockets of primary Rainforest in Borneo & contributing to runaway Climate Change. This would deprive indigenous peoples of their customary land & pollute water sources upon which millions depend. The area provides a habitat for Orangutans, Pygmy Elephants & numerous other rare & Endangered Species. All of this could be at risk if BHP Billiton builds massive open cast coal mines deep inside this remarkable forest. An associated railway would open up even more of the rainforest to destructive mining. Villagers living near BHP-Billiton’s 1st mine in the area have reported receiving a paltry half a UK penny per square metre for their customary forest which was taken by BHP Billiton.It’s not too late to stop this! Let’s send BHP Billiton a strong message: no forest destruction for coal! Take action now to call on BHP Billiton to put a stop to this project & ensure the area’s permanent protection. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3828434
Video: Seen P&G's Thank You Mom? Find out the hidden truth. (Greenpeace) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbsVwzTb_A#t=105
Procter & Gamble (P&G) is the Corporation behind brands like Mr. Clean, Head & Shoulders, Gillette & Oil of Olay. It has pledged to use only deforestation-free Palm Oil – as of 2020. Tell P&G that 2020 is too late – the remaining Forest will be gone by then!
Procter & Gamble still condones Rainforest Destruction for Palm Oil
60) New!! Pet.: Stop the Oil for Ape scandal in Borneo https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_the_Oil_for_Ape_scandal_in_Borneo/?pv=24 Palm Oil Cos. are planning to expand the Deforestation of Rainforest on the Island of Borneo - alongside the Sekonyer River & Tanjung Puting Nat.l Park in Central Kalimantan. The Orang-Utan, Clouded Leopard & Sun Bear live in this forest. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3803604
59) New!! Pet.: Help save the islands of Indonesia from Mining Companies and Palm Oil plantations http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/806/243/858/ Belitung & Bangka were once prime tropical island destinations but are fast being transformed into wastelands as a result of mining. Fertile land has been turned into thousands of craters & the surrounding coral reefs are being destroyed by dredgers & tin-sucking ships. Fishing communities say that their catches had fallen by 80%. Furthermore, around 60% of Deforestation in Bangka & Belitung over the past 10 yrs has been caused by tin Mining & the expansion of Palm plantations. Ab. 2,500 sq. kilometres of Belitung has been degraded, with 70% of the forest area being cleared, while at least 60% of the mangrove forests of both islands have been destroyed. Few protections are in place despite biological importance. Wildlife is also suffering: the Tarsier, a nocturnal bug-eyed Primate which is classified as Endangered, is at risk!. The destruction of their habitat has resulted in the isolating of populations, affecting their ability to breed. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3808610
58) New!! Pet.: Success: Palm Oil Companies Place Moratorium on Deforestation http://forcechange.com/133277/success-palm-oil-companies-place-moratorium-on-deforestation/#gf_15 Five major Palm Oil Cos. - notorious for destroying large areas of Rainforest to make room for their Palm Oil plantations - have agreed to hold a 12 month moratorium on Deforestation while an environmental impact study is being conducted. Applaud Palm Oil Cos. for placing a moratorium on Deforestation. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3807059
57) New!! Pet.: Stop Illegal Tropical Deforestation http://forcechange.com/132823/stop-illegal-tropical-deforestation/#.VBWLFhDx2ms.care2 The continued overseas demand for agricultural commodities like Palm Oil, beef, soy & wood products has contributed to the rapid Deforestation of tropical climates. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3803873
56) New!! Pet.: Stop Corporations from Illegally Destroying a Nat.l Park http://forcechange.com/131846/stop-corporations-from-illegally-destroying-a-national-park/#.VABMSsbNb6I.care2 Target: Pres. of Indonesia; Goal: Prevent illegal gold mining & deforestation from demolishing a Nat.l Park. Even though it is currently illegal to deforest Nat.l Parks in Indonesia, Corporations are overtly breaking the law by logging & gold mining on Borneo. These rapidly depleting Forests are home to the Endangered Orangutans & Proboscis Monkeys. Although the Indonesian Gov.t has chosen to impose a temporary moratorium on the Deforestation of their country's Rainforests, Corporations continue to illegally raze the ground at Borneo's Tanjung Puting Nat.l Park. A Palm Oil company is tearing down trees in order to make room for new plantations, while Gold Mining Corporations contaminate the environment. These companies must be punished for their violations and kept out of the national park. The Indonesian Gov.t needs to enforce the law & protect its Rainforests from Corporate greed. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3799648
55) New!! Pet.: Borneo: axing a National Park for Palm Oil https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/928/borneo-axing-a-national-park-for-palm-oil Indonesian environmentalists are sounding the alarm: a Palm Oil Co. is clearing land in Borneo's Tanjung Puting Nat.l Park for new plantations. The swamp Forests are among the last remaining habitats for endangered Orangutans & Proboscis Monkeys. Pls take a stand & sign our petition to the Indonesian Gov.t.
54) Action Bring an Orangutan Home in 2014 Source: Evelyn B.
The Big Idea Hundreds of rescued orphan Orangutans are ready to go home to the Forest, where they belong. Having undergone years of nurturing rehabilitation under the watchful eyes of the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation, these graduates need your help to get them home.
Need Over the past 2 decades, hundreds of orphaned & displaced Orangutans have been rescued & cared for in sanctuaries such as those operated by Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation in Indonesia. These sanctuaries are now crowded & many of the Orangutans are ready for release back to the forest. Finding safe forests for them has been a challenge, but it has been found. Now the only thing preventing them from going home is lack of funding.
Solution Orangutan Land Trust will help support the release of these Orangutans by the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation operating in Indonesia. By releasing Orangutans, we can free up space in the rescue centres so they can take in more victims. Additionally, the released Orangutans will collectively form a new, viable population in safe areas of forest, ensuring their long-term survival as a species in the wild.
53) New!! Pet.: Cancel Aceh's illegal spatial plan http://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/president-susilo-bambang-yudhoyono-cancel-aceh-s-illegal-spatial-plan What is urgently needed right now is the biggest show of global support we can muster to remind Indonesia's Nat.l Gov.t that the world is seriously concerned over the fate of Tripa & the Leuser Ecosystem!!! The Leuser Ecosystem harbors the richest representation of biodiversity in SE Asia. It is the last place on earth where critically endangered Sumatran Orangutans, Rhinos, Elephants & Tigers can all be found together in the wild. Nationally protected by Indonesian law, the Leuser Ecosystem was identified as one of the “world’s most irreplaceable protected areas” & is rapidly gaining support in Aceh & around the world to be fully recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3794318
International Animal Rescue - Saving animals from suffering around the world SHARE or DONATE: We save animals from suffering around the world. Our work includes cutting free & caring for dancing bears in India, rescuing Primates from captivity in Indonesia & sterilising & vaccinating stray dogs & cats in developing countries & more… Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793482
52) New!! Pet.: Governor of California, Jerry Brown: Fight Climate Change and legislate Palm Oil! http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/governor-of-california-jerry-brown-fight-climate-change-and-legislate-palm-oil#share The Gov.t of the U.K. already has a policy on its use of Palm Oil & states: "Palm Oil production is often linked to Deforestation & peatland drainage, mainly in Indonesia & Malaysia. This has major impacts on Biodiversity, Climate Change & also land rights for local people." France & Germany made a commitment in Sept. 2013 to the use of sustainable Palm Oil as well by 2015. Americans must not be used as unwitting partners in causing Global Warming when we are fed unsustainable Palm Oil nor can we be part of the problem of wildlife extinction. We must stand up in the fight against Climate Change when better versions of the product are readily available. Sign this petition & urge all your friends from California to add their voice. Fran Boland, who is leading this campaign in California, will make sure your letters are hand delivered! Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793453
51) New!! Pet.: Save the Orangutans http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/save-the-orangutans-save-the-orangutans#share This is important because they are dying at a rapid rate & we need to stop this!! You can help by not buying Palm Oil products & signing this petition. Because each day about 50 Orangutans die due to Deforestation!!!! Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793469
23) Pet.: Hillary Clinton: Please protect Endangered Wildlife from the Palm Oil industry! http://www.change.org/petitions/hillary-clinton-please-protect-endangered-wildlife-from-the-palm-oil-industry Palm Oil plantations are the biggest threat to the existence of Wildlife today. We know the Orangutans will go extinct if we don't act. Others including the Forest Elephants in Malaysia & Indonesia are looking at the same terrible threat of extinction. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3649381; Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793451
19) Pet.: Create a policy to stop using products that add to Global Warming! http://www.change.org/petitions/governor-kitzhaber-and-senators-wyden-and-merkley-create-a-policy-to-stop-using-products-that-add-to-global-warming We have to stop using products that contain conventional Palm Oil! The Gov.t of the U.K. already has a policy on its use of Palm Oil & states: "PalmOil production linked to Deforestation & peatland drainage, mainly in Indonesia & Malaysia. This has major impacts on biodiversity, Climate Change & also land rights for local people." France & Germany have also pledged to adopt similar policies to protest against the Global Warming which PalmOil production causes. It’s time that we speak up as Americans & urge our legislators to adopt a policy on their use of products that contain PalmOil! Source: Daniela B.; Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3793455
48) Pet.: Orangutans under threat - the plan to win http://www.avaaz.org/en/aceh_rainforest_petition_loc/?kRRPsbb 790,022 Signatures. Last year over 1.3 million of us called for the protection of the last place on Earth where Orangutans, Tigers, Rhinos & Elephants still roam free together. Amazingly, we froze the proposed plan that would have destroyed vast swathes of pristine Rainforest in Sumatra. But now the local Gov.t is gearing up to revive the destruction, unless we act! Source: Artur B.; Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3774405
A member of veterinary staff at the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme centre conducts medical examinations on a 14-year-old male Orangutan found with air gun metal pellets embedded in his body
50) New!! Urgent!! Pet.: Protect the Leuser Ecosystem, Declare it a World Heritage! http://www.change.org/petitions/protect-the-leuser-ecosystem-declare-it-a-world-heritage#share SIGN & SHARE!! The Leuser Ecosystem - World Heritage Protection, or destroyed forever?! The Leuser Ecosystem is the last place on earth where Tigers, Orangutans, Elephants & Rhinos roam together in the wild. In total, it’s 2.6 million hectares of protected Forests, of which 80% & the vast majority of Sumatra’s remaining Biodiversity is in the Province of Aceh, Sumatra Indonesia. RIGHT NOW, THE ACEH GOVERNOR IS BEING PRESSURED TO SIGN A NEW LAW THAT WILL DESTROY THIS FOREVER – WE MUST SUPPORT HIM TO MAKE A GOOD DECISION!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3767285
49) New!! Pet. Tell America's Biggest Brands to Use Deforestation-Free Palm Oil https://secure3.convio.net/ucs/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4033 Tell these major Corporations that—for the sake of our atmosphere, tropical forests, peatlands, & endangered species—the time to act is now. UPDATE: As of March 2014, General Mills & Colgate-Palmolive announced new policies & Procter & Gamble did the same in early April—write to the other 3 brands today!
Palm Oil Scorecard: Ranking America’s Biggest Brands on Their Commitment to Deforestation-Free Palm Oil Donuts, Deodorant, Deforestation: Scoring America's Top Brands on Their Palm Oil Commitments; Palm Oil Scorecard: Detailed Scoring Breakdown; Palm Oil Scorecard: Methodology. Dave C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/267569599/3762033
46) New!! Pet.: Stop Rainforest Destruction http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/stop-rainforest-destruction by Greenpeace: Palm Oil Companies are bulldozing a football field's worth of Indonesian Rainforest every hour, destroying vanishing Habitat for animals like Orangutans & the Endangered Sumatran Tiger (only 250 left on Earth!!) This dirty Palm Oil ends up in products we use every day. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3761849
44) New!! Pledge: Help Protect Endangered Species around the World http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/04/01/nbcuniversal-stops-using-orangutan-actors-stage?cmpid=tpnews-eml-2014-04-05-wage
It’s About Time: Universal Studios to Stop Using Orangutan ActorsThe Hollywood & Orlando theme parks promise to ban the use of Primates in their live shows. Source: Jude H.
42) New!! Pet.: Save Orangutans and Tigers from Deforestation http://forcechange.com/111681/save-orangutans-and-tigers-from-deforestation/#.UywM1oGmpCo.care2 Ensure a safe Habitat for animals inhabiting the Indonesian Rainforests, including the Endangered Orangutan & the Sumatran Tiger. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3754453
41) New!! Pet.: Stop Palm Oil plantation expansion on Kalimantan Island http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-palm-oil-plantation-expansion/sign.html We need to stop land clearing & expansion of Palm Oil plantations particularly in Kalimantan island. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3753774
40) New!! Pet.: Tell America's Biggest Brands to Use Deforestation-Free Palm Oil http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/834/073/014/ Tell these major Corporations that--for the sake of our atmosphere, tropical forests, peatlands, & Endangered Species--the time to act is now. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3752070
39) New!! Pet.: Tell America's Biggest Brands to Use Deforestation-Free Palm Oil http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-america-s-biggest-brands-to-use-deforestation-free-palm-oil Palm Oil, an ingredient in thousands of everyday products from snack foods to shampoo, is ubiquitous in our grocery stores & homes. Unfortunately, the big brands behind our favorite products often use Palm Oil responsible for tropical Deforestation. As tropical Forests are cleared or carbon-rich peat swamps are drained & burned to make way for Palm Oil plantations, carbon is released into the atmosphere, driving Global Warming & shrinking habitat for Endangered Species. Tropical Deforestation currently accounts for about 10% of the world's heat-trapping emissions. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3750502
38) New!! Pet.: Commend Muslim Community for Protecting Wildlife http://forcechange.com/110871/commend-muslim-community-for-protecting-wildlife/#.UyGWVxdq6WQ.care2 The preeminent Muslim clerical body in Indonesia has issued a fatwa against illegal wildlife trafficking. This fatwa, or edict, mandates that Indonesia's 200 million Muslims begin to take part in protecting Endangered Species. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3751810
37) New!! Pet.: Procter & Gamble: Stop using Palm Oil! http://dirtysecret.greenpeace.org/en-EN?fbgprop3Mar2
Pls Watch the Video to know how Forests are being destroyed thereby making the famous Sumatran Tigers homeless, Sign & Share Petition. Source: Sravya B.
Video: Greenpeace Int.l https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152065434598300&set=vb.7297163299&type=2&theatre
Kellogg Rejects Palm Oil From Decimated Rainforests Kellogg Co. has pledged it will start buying Palm Oil only from Companies that don’t destroy tropical Rainforests to produce the additive used in several processed foods like Pop-Tarts. The move was in response to a lengthy campaign by Environmental groups which pressured the cereal giant to cease buying Palm Oil from plantations that disrupt Rainforests in Southeast Asian nations, primarily Indonesia.The exotic Forests house several Endangered Species, incl. the Orangutan & Sumatran Tiger.
Palm Oil is a relatively minor ingredient used in Kellogg products like Pop-Tarts, cookies & waffles, however, most of its cereals don’t contain it.
Breaking: 9 Arrested After Death-Defying Protest of P&G’s Use of Palm Oil In James Bond style, 9 Greenpeace activists were arrested Tuesday after they rappelled down Cincinnati’s Procter & Gamble (P&G) skyscraper & hung 2 large posters protesting P&G’s use of Palm Oil in its Head & Shoulders products. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3748765
Video: Clip: Stop Putting Tiger Survival on the Line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlSA0u8dCCA
Procter & Gamble Dirty Secret Procter & Gamble used a total of 462,000t of Palm Oil products in 2012–13 (352,000t of palm kernel oil [PKO], 20,000t of crude Palm Oil [CPO] & 90,000t of other Palm Oil derivatives). Procter & Gamble buys Palm Oil from some of the world’s largest Palm Oil processors. As a result of Rainforest destruction by Procter & Gamble’s suppliers, household brands containing Palm Oil, such as Head & Shoulders shampoo & Gillette shaving gel, are contributing to Climate Change, key tropical Biodiversity Loss & social Deprivation. Greenpeace Int.l investigations show how – through the trade in Palm Oil – Procter & Gamble & a host of other Companies are aiding & abetting the clearance of the Bornean Orangutan’s Rainforest Habitat & that of the even scarcer, Critically Endangered Sumatran Tiger. They have also been complicit in Peatland Destruction & depriving communities of their land & livelihoods.
Procter & Gamble's Palm Oil suppliers linked to Deforestation (Photos) A year-long investigation by Greenpeace has found Companies that supply Procter & Gamble (P&G) with Palm Oil are engaged in clearing of Rainforests & Peatlands in Indonesia Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3746113
1. A solitary Rainforest tree remains standing in a recently planted Palm Oil plantation on former Orang-utan habitat inside the PT Karya Makmur Abadi EstateII Palm Oil concession, a subsidiary of the Malaysian Kuala Lumpar Kepong Berhad (KLK) group.
2. A Greenpeace investigation documents an Orangutan skull beside an Oil Palm plantation owned by PT Bumi Langgeng Perdanatrada, a subsidiary of BW Plantation Group, near Tanjung Puting Nat.l Park in Central Kalimantan
36) New!! Pet.: PROTECT FORESTS in SUMATRA! PLEDGE TO ENLARGE NAT.L PARKS http://www.thepetitionsite.com/909/099/866/protect-forests-in-sumatra-pledgeto-extend-national-parks/ 49% of the natural forests of SUMATRA, Indonesia, have been destroyed since 1985. How can we let destroying such irreplaceable unique natural heritage? Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3730381
35) New!! Pet.: PROTECT FORESTS in BORNEO! PLEDGE TO ENLARGE NAT.L PARKS http://www.thepetitionsite.com/760/110/527/protect-forests-of-borneo-pledga-to-enlarge-national-parks/ FORESTS OF BORNEO ARE DESTROYED EVERYDAY, wood is sold & sent to W. countries, old forests full of biodiversity are replaced by huge an monotonous PalmOil plantations with very low biodiversity. Let's also reconsider the products, food & items that we buy, all around the World, as for example the wooden furniture & our food containing Palm Oil, we have our part of responsibility!! On the internet, we can discover with horror that Orangutans are killed, raped, tortured, sold as living items.This horror & such massive destruction is really unacceptable! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3730384
33) New!! Pet.: Indonesia: terror and eviction for Palm Oil https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/936/indonesia-terror-and-eviction-for-palm-oil To: The EU, the Gov.ts of the EU Member States & Neste Oil - In Jambi Prov. in Sumatra, a total of 1,500 men descended on the helpless indigenous Suku Anak Dalam & evicted them from their huts. At least 296 houses in 4 villages were looted & demolished in early Dec. 2013. For almost 30yrs Asiatic Persada has been persecuting the Forest dwellers – in 1986, the company started to cut down their Rainforest for plantations. Yet the people stood firm – until Dec. 2013. Vast Rainforest areas are being cleared for new Palm Oil plantations in response to the EU’s agrofuel policy. Palm oil imports from the tropics are soaring to meet growing demand for biodiesel: 2.5 million tons were imported in the 1st half of 2013 – a 63% increase over the same period the previous year. The most important producer of Palm-Oil Biodiesel is Neste Oil Corporation. The Finnish Gov.t maintains a 51% controlling interest in the Co., which operates the world’s largest Biodiesel refineries in Singapore & Rotterdam, each with an annual capacity of one billion liters.
32) New!! Pet.: Indonesia: Protect Endangered Orangutans and the Leuser Ecosystem http://www.thepetitionsite.com/979/476/412/indonesia-protect-endangered-orangutans-and-the-leuser-ecosystem/ An Indonesian court dealt a big blow to a Palm Oil Company for illegally burning areas of the Tripa peat Forest in the province of Aceh that are vitally important for the future survival of Critically Endangered Orangutans, & other Species incl. Sumatran Tigers, Elephants, Malayan SunBears & Rhinos. For Orangutans, efforts to protect the Tripa Forests & Leuser Ecosystem could be their only hope for survival. Only estim. 6,500 Orangutans left in Sumatra who continue to face threats from Deforestation, Habitat fragmentation, the Pet trade & being killed as pests. As many as 100 Tripa’s Orangutans have recently been killed in fires. Aceh's wildlife is in danger. The Gov.t is considering a controversial & short-sighted spatial land use plan that would threaten Aceh's protected Forests by clearing the way for Mining, PalmOil & Timber Concessions, for the development of new roads, which will fragment precious habitat & create more access to wildlife for hunters. This is a huge blow to Orangutans & overall Biodiversity, & will harm Local Communities. Further Deforestation will lead to more flash floods, landslides & erosion, destroying livelihoods that are forest-dependent & threatening the water supply that millions of people rely on for drinking & food production. The Leuser Ecosystem is one of the world's most irreplaceable places for the conservation of protected Species. The Int.l community supports greater protection. Environmentalists are urging Aceh's Governor to stand up for wildlife & the people who depend on this valuable Rainforest by supporting a nomination for the Leuser Ecosystem as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pls ask the Aceh's Governor to support World Heritage Status for the Leseur Ecosystem, which will help conserve Biodiversity & protect Local Communities. Source: Jeanie S.; Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3700830
30) New!! Pet.: Designate Spectacular Rainforest for Protection http://forcechange.com/95911/designate-spectacular-rainforest-for-protection/#gf_15 The tropical Rainforests of Indonesia, in SE Asia, are among the most biologically diverse places on the planet, home to some of the world’s most spectacular animals. However, they are also highly endangered, with deforestation pushing animals like the Orangutan & Tiger close to the brink of extinction. Now, an int.l effort is needed to save these & other Species. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3687470
28) New!! Pet.: HSBC & DBS Bank: Stop investing in Bumitama Group https://www.change.org/petitions/hsbc-dbs-bank-stop-investing-in-bumitama-group Note: The Petition image is baby Orangutan Sura, left orphaned in a Palm Oil plantation belonging to Bumitama. Sura had some of his fingers chopped off by plantation workers, most likely caused during the killing of his mother.
The banking giants HSBC & DBS have bankrolled Palm Oil Co. Bumitama Group. HSBC provided £260million in loans & other financial services to the destructive Palm Oil Co. since 2010. Source: Danuta W.
27) New!! Pet.: Commend Indonesia for Deal to End Illegal Logging http://forcechange.com/84617/commend-indonesia-for-deal-to-end-illegal-logging/ Indonesia & the European Union have signed a deal to end all trade in illegal wood products between Asia & Europe. Their efforts will help reduce the amount of trees cut down, saving endangered Indonesian Forests. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3665954
26) New!! Pet.: Save Orangutans from Barbaric Cruelty & Abuse http://www.thepetitionsite.com/703/881/872/save-orangutans-from-barbaric-cruelty-and-abuse/ As Rainforest Destruction continues at an alarming rate, Orang Utans or “Man of the Forest” as their name means, are forced to go into villages in search of food. Once entering a village they face capture & severe abuse. Farmers are ruthlessly killing adult Orangutans to prevent them from eating their crops, leaving many baby Orangutans to be orphaned in the Forest to die. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3663927
25) New!! Pet.: Stop the Sale & use of Palm Oil: Negative effects on Rainforests!! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/468/463/991/stop-the-sale-and-use-of-palm-oil-negative-effects-on-rainforests/#sign Because Deforestation kills Orangutangs!! Save the Rainforests!! Source: Rhonda W., Sylvie C.
24) New!! Pet.: Borneo: National Park Emergency https://www.salviamolaforesta.org/mailalert/928/borneo-emergenza-dal-parco-nazionale?mt=1687&v=0&ref=nl 62,028 Signatures – I signed with all my & my family mails!!!!The Bumitama Gunajaya Agro (BGA) Palm Oil Company is cutting Rainforests & Peatlands in the Tanjung Putting Nat.l Park to make room for its Oil Palm Monocoltures. This Co. is carrying out an “aggressive expansion strategy” & plans an increment of 13,000 Hectares of Oil Palm plantation every year!!!!!!
The Rainforest & the Habitat of the Orangutans are destroyed by Oil Palm plantations!!
22) New!! Pet.: Ohio must create a policy to stop Global Warming from Palm Oil industries https://www.change.org/petitions/ohio-must-create-a-policy-to-stop-global-warming-from-palm-oil-industries U.K. already has a policy on its use of Palm Oil & states: "Palm oil production is often linked to Deforestation & Peatland Drainage, mainly in Indonesia & Malaysia. This has major impacts on Biodiversity, Climate Change & also land rights for Local People." https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sustainable-production-of-palm-oil-uk-statement France & Germany made a commitment in Sept. 2013 to the use of sustainable Palm Oil as well by 2015. Americans must not be used as unwitting partners in causing Global Warming when we are fed unsustainable Palm Oil nor can we be part of the problem of wildlife extinction .We must stand up in the fight against Climate Change when better versions of the product are readily available. Source: Curzio B.
21) New!! Pet.: Woolies, please reconsider your Palm Oil policy! https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Woolies_please_reconsider_your_palm_oil_policy/?fpla Borneo & Sumatra are wonderfully biodiverse. Yet they have many Critically Endangered Species, as 300 football fields worth of Rainforest is cleared hourly to make way for Palm Oil! *Shocking violations of human & property rights of indigenous minorities & small farming communities are taking place there! *Species like Orangutans (+50,000 deaths so far), Sumatran Tigers & Rhinos, & Bornean Pygmy Elephants are heading for imminent extinction in the wild! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3642488
17) New!! Pet.: World Biosphere Reserve for BORNEO, Indonesia http://www.thepetitionsite.com/765/977/707/world-biosphere-reserve-for-borneo-indonesia/ Target: Indonesian Gov.t + UNESCO. We claim for the protection of BORNEO, & for urgent & exceptional measures, such as the conversion of 75% of the territory of BORNEO to be protected as WORLD BIOSPHERE RESERVE, under the management of the UNESCO. As Borneo is representing an exceptional & worldwide importance in terms of Natural Resources, & Biodiversity, its protection must be also exceptional accordingly!! Pls forward this message!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3636070
16) New!! Pet.: Demand Malaysian Gov.t Reduce Logging http://forcechange.com/69916/demand-malaysian-government-reduce-logging/ Reduce the rate at which the Logging Industry is deforesting Malaysia. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3618558
15) New!! Pet.: Demand an End to Deforestation in Indonesia http://forcechange.com/69245/demand-an-end-to-deforestation-in-indonesia/ In recent years, Palm Oil has become an increasingly popular, cheaper substitute for vegetable oil in the USA. Large food companies have sought to purchase vast quantities of Palm Oil from tropical areas of Asia, Africa & South America. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3612688
Action: Rescue Sumatran Orangutans https://thehungersite.greatergood.com/store/ths/item/53837/rescue-sumatran-orangutans?source=10--1074066384-1 As Sumatra rapidly trades their rainforests for farmlands, the Orangutans who call these forests home, are losing habitat critical to their survival. Today there are less than 6,600 Orangutans left in the wild, stranded in isolated patches of forest surrounded by plantations. Left with few options for food to survive, Sumatran Orangutans are turning to the crops farmers rely on for income, raiding & damaging them to supplement their diet. Stripped of their protection by the forest, these Orangutans face greater exposure to hunting & poaching for the illegal pet trade. The Sumatran Orangutan Society is helping to rescue Orangutans being illegally kept as pets or are stranded in farmlands by relocating them to safer forests they can call home. You can help! Your donation from $ 5.00 can help fund tranquilizer darts to safely evacuate Orangutans from areas being cleared by bulldozers & veterinary supplies needed to treat them out in the field. Source: Richard H.
11) Pet.: Selamatkan Orangutan http://www.gopetition.com.au/petitions/selamatkan-orangutan.html only 972 Signatures!!!! Come on!! As usual I SIGNED it with ALL my Emails & all my Family ones!!!!!!!
9) Pet.: Global campaign to protect the Orangutan Forest https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/916/global-campaign-to-protect-the-orangutan-forest?mt=1586&v=0&ref=nl
9) Pet.: Per la Foresta degli Oranghi (in Italian) https://www.salviamolaforesta.org/mailalert/916/per-la-foresta-degli-oranghi?mt=1590&v=0&ref=nl
89,258 Signatures since May 22 2013!!!! – I signed with all my & my family Emails!! Target: Indonesia President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono - President Yudhoyono has already extended a nationwide moratorium for another 2 years, protecting the rainforests from Deforestation. Aceh however is a semi-autonomous province & the reigning Governor Zaini Abdullah has far-reaching powers. We are therefore collecting signatures & will not stop until the rainforests of Aceh & the Orangutans living there are protected by a firm agreement.
7) Pet.: Stop Support of Rainforest Destruction http://forcechange.com/25449/stop-support-of-rainforest-destruction/Target: Chief Executive Officer of the Deutsche Bank Josef Ackermann. The booming Palm Oil industry of Indonesia has become an extremely profitable enterprise. The yield from the Oil Palm is in extremely high demand. Oil Palm plantations also have the capacity to produce more oil per hectare than any other oilseed crop in the world. These factors have given rise to unprecedented growth in the industry, a great asset to a region with many poor, rural communities that are in need of an economic boost. Unfortunately, it has evolved beyond such communities into a cash crop capitalized upon by international big business. Cher:
4,701 Signatures To STOP a LOGGING Co. destroying Lestari Asri Jaya Concession, forming a critical part of the Bukit Tigapuluh Ecosystem,"Thirty Hills", located in Central Sumatra, Central Indonesia. This globally important Ecosystem provides a safe haven for many Species which are threatened by Extinction & are extremely rare: including the Critically Endangered Sumatran Orangutan, Tiger & Elephant. Between 1985 & 2007, Sumatra Island LOST 12 Million Hectares of Natural Rainforest, a 48% Loss in 22 years. By 2007, Sumatra had only 30% Natural Forest cover (13 Million Hectares).
Orangutan Baby says: Help me!!!!!
4) Pet.: Orangutans – victims of “sustainable” Palm Oil (in English) https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/mailalert/914/orangutans-victims-of-sustainable-palm-oil?mt=1573&v=0&ref=nl 107,071 Signatures – I SIGNED with all my & my family mails!!!! Perched atop the remains of the last tree, an Orangutan looks helplessly on what was until recently the Forest he was living in but is now only ruins. Armed with chainsaws & bulldozers, workers of Bumitama Gunajaya Agro (BGA), a Palm Oil company, have completely destroyed the Rainforest for miles. 3 other half-starved Orangutans – a pregnant female & a mother with her child on her back – were also found crawling around the stumps & tree trunks of the cleared Rainforest. “There are more Orangutans in the tiny remaining patches of Forest in the plantation, along with other Protected Species such as Proboscis Monkeys. All of the animals on the plantation are threatened. The company must therefore stop clearing the Rainforest immediately.” This may seem hard to believe, but the Palm Oil producer BGA has been a member of the RSPO, the label for sustainable palm oil, since 2007. BGA’s customers include IOI, Wilmar & Sinar Mas, companies that sell the Palm Oil to European food & consumer goods manufacturers & biodiesel producers. Even the EU has recognized the RSPO as a certification system for sustainably produced biofuels. Please sign our petition to call for a stop to Rainforest Destruction & Palm Oil imports. Source: Richard S.
4) Pet.: To die for Palm Oil? No, Thank you!! (in German) https://www.regenwald.org/aktion/914/sterben-fuer-palmoel-nein-danke#.UWgHM-86ihA.facebook
107,071 Signatures – Defenceless: one Orangutan on what remains of the last tree. All around everything has been destroyed!!! The workers of the Bumitama Gunajaya Agro (BGA) Palm Oil Company have completely cleared the area, with chainsaws & bulldozers!!!
Source: Danuta W., Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3565014
2) Pet.: Pak Ujang Iskandar: Stop deforestation along the banks of the Sekonyer River http://www.change.org/petitions/pak-ujang-iskandar-stop-deforestation-along-the-banks-of-the-sekonyer-river The Sekonyer River area, outside of Tanjung Puting Nat.l Park in Borneo, is the main access to the park & is what visitors see on their way to the famous Camp Leakey. It is also home to thousands of rainforest species, including: endangered orangutans, clouded leopards, slow lorises, hornbills, gibbons & proboscis monkeys, found nowhere else on earth. However, a recent proposal threatens to complete destroy the lush rainforest along the river & in so doing devastate the remaining biodiversity clinging to life there. Although the forest in the area has become increasing fragmented over the last several years, this proposal would completely demolish what remains of it. Not only would it erase the natural beauty of the riverbanks, but it would also put added pressure on hundreds of species already on the brink of extinction. Tell Indonesia their rainforests are an important natural resource & they are worth saving. We have a voice! Source:Sheila S. Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3564138
1) Pet.: Save Indonesian Forests From Being Destroyed http://forcechange.com/8174/save-indonesian-forests-from-being-destroyed/ Indonesia: the world’s 3rd largest preserved Rainforest, also one of the world’s largest carbon traps. Indonesia’s peatlands, (20MillionHectares) (3 years of the world’s total use). Millions of Acres each year are destroyed for coal, Palm Oil, & sugarcane: the rate at which carbon is released into the ozone is staggering. Since the creation of REDD in the United Nations, $18Million were distributed to protect some of the world’s most valuable Forests in an effort to combat Climate Change. Pls help enforce Indonesia’s Climate deal & help with funding ensuring protection of Forests that house incredible Biodiversity & contain massive amounts of carbon that could expedite Global Warming. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3005415