“Eating an alkaline diet was key in helping me get my health back; it saved my life!” — Diana
According to Doctor William Howard Hay from New York, all disease is caused by ‘self-poisoning’ due to acid accumulation in the body. Acid/alkaline imbalance causing disease is not a new concept: Dr. Hay said that in 1933, in his book A New Health Era.
Results of eating too many foods that are acid-forming:
1. Acid-forming foods deplete the minerals in our body. Our blood and cellular fluid will become too acidic. To control this, the body will steal minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium from the bones, cartilage tissue, and muscles to create the balance. This is the beginning of osteoporosis and arthritis.
- Joints dry out, becoming stiff and less flexible.
- There is pain in the lower back and muscle stiffness.
2. Risk of heart attack and stroke increases due to the build-up of plaque and weakened blood vessels.
3. Dry and wrinkled skin occurs more rapidly.
4. Blood sugar fluctuations and diabetes are more likely.7. Weight gain occurs, with a difficulty in losing weight.
5. Digestive problems increase.
6. Constipation increases, due to lack of digestion.
8. Weakened immune system.
9. Weakened glands and organs.
10. Headaches and depression.
are many other ailments that are caused by over-acidity. While there are other ways to decrease acidity, diet is your obvious first step.
In short… Acid is for Your Car Battery – Not Your Body!
What Research and Experts Say and Do:
- An overly acidic condition weakens the body and can become dangerous. Our body requires a slightly alkaline condition to function well. Blood, for example, needs to be at 7.4 pH. A shift in blood pH of just 0.2 could result in death. Obviously, the body does not want to die, so it is forced to borrow minerals (calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium) from vital organs and bones to neutralize the acid.
- A seven-year study, conducted on 9,000 women at the University of California, showed that those who have chronic acidosis are at greater risk for bone loss than those who have normal pH levels. Many of the hip fractures among middle-aged women are connected to high acidity, caused by a diet rich in animal foods and low in vegetables. –American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- “The countless names of illnesses do not really matter. What does matter is that they all come from the same root cause… too much tissue acid waste in the body!” Dr. Theodore A. Baroody says in his remarkable book Alkalize or Die.
- “Immune cells that are too acid or too alkaline do not produce antibodies or cytokines (chemical messengers to regulate other immune cells), and they have impaired phagocytosis (the ability to engulf and destroy microbes). As a result, the affected individual becomes susceptible to viral, bacterial, fungal and other infectious microbes as well as cancer,” says Dr. William Lee Cowden.
There are many more of what the experts say and recipes at the end.
Just thought I would let everyone know that Diana is hosting a Alkalize Your Body Weekend Web Bootcamp on Sept 21-23.
You can get details here: http://realfoodforlife.com/alkalize-your-body-bootcamp/
Almost everyone KNOWS alkaline is good for you. We have all seen the charts.... but we often don't take action because it seems too complicated or whatever.
Can you give us a list of foods or liquids that will raise the alkaline levels? I hear drinking water with lemon juice in it helps.
Christian, in Healthy Cooking we have a discussion that has been going on for years about this subject; there is a list of foods too: http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=48&pst=173955
Yes Lemon Water is great!
The most alkaline forming food you can eat is a lemon. Here is a simple way to get some quick alkalizing going into your body. Lemon juice has great digestive qualities so symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are often relieved. Also, lemons also help cleanse the body of toxins. Read more benefits below.
- Wash lemon well
- Cut lemon in half, horizontally
- Squeeze each half of a lemon
- Add to 2 – 4 cups of water. The lemon juice can be diluted more according to taste.
- Add stevia to taste