"Be the change I want to see in the world"
Valparaiso, FL, USA
female, age 49
married, 2 children
Speaks: Currently Learning Spanish, English
Joined Dec 15, 2004
Ocean conservation/ pollution,
Separation of Church and State,
Freedom of Expression,
My Page Billboard
The cost of greed and consumption.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” ― Hippocrates
According to Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald:
Most of you probably don't need an excuse to enjoy fine chocolate, but just in case you do, here are some healthy reasons to indulge yourself a little:
1. High in antioxidants: Chocolate is high in flavonoids, an antioxidant in the polyphenol category. Antioxidants can help to prevent cell damage and have been linked to prevention of cancer and other degenerative diseases.
2. Helps with cholesterol: Scientists at Penn State found that dark chocolate and flavonoid-rich cocoa powder reduced LDL ("bad" cholesterol) oxidation.
3. Reduces inflammation: An Italian study showed that when volunteers ingested small amounts of dark chocolate, their levels of C-reactive protein (an inflammatory marker) decreased.
4. Lowers blood pressure: A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association showed that dark chocolate had an effect on lowering blood pressure.
5. Helps with mood: Chocolate contains tryptophan, a precursor of serotonin, which can help with depression. Research also shows chocolate can increase dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure. Chocolate also contains phenylethylamine (PEA) known as the "love chemical."
6. Improves blood flow: Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has shown that cocoa has anti-clotting, blood-thinning properties that work in a similar way as aspirin. Nobody is suggesting to replace your aspirin with chocolate, but the research is compelling.
7. It's delicious! Research shows that enjoying food and life is beneficial for your health.
It seems that the health benefits of chocolate come in packages that don't include nougat, caramel, or high amounts of sugar.Most studies were done using cocoa powder or dark chocolate. Experts suggest that adding small amounts (a one ounce piece a few times a week) of dark chocolate to a healthy diet that includes antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables will give you a variety of phytochemicals (beneficial elements of plants) that have proven health benefits.
||Dec 15, 2004
||Meeting Friends, Job Search, Professional Connections, Support a Cause, Other
|Group Host of
A Free Stuff Network (AFSN), AirNuts - Travel Links, Alternative Transportation, Aromatherapy & Essential Oils, Cat Lovers, Defenders of Wildlife, Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - Electing Pro-Wildlife Leaders, Evolution Education, Greenpeace, Habitat for Humanity, Healthy Cooking, Healthy Living Network, Hungersite.com, Kill your TV! more »
May 04, 1967
Currently Learning Spanish,
||Introduce yourself to Tammy
Spiritual but not religious
Trying to eat vegetarian and local,
Still Love Chocolate Though!,
no red meat,
Homemade healthy whole foods,
Keep it Healthy
|Wild Fact About Me
||That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger. NO regrets
|What Gives Me Hope
||My Children, My husband, The caring people I meet on Care2--restores my faith in humanity
|If I were Mayor, I'd make the world a better place by
||I would never!
|What/who changed my life and why
||The event that was most inspirational and life altering for me has to be my recent surgery to remove a parotid gland tumor. I was initially told it was malignant but fortunately, it was benign...I feel like I have been given a second chance. I started making my life list and now hope to start living it!
|What Bugs Me
Our disposable society,
Those who hurt others weaker than them,
making a difference,
My son who has severe arthritis
|What Scares Me
Bacteria and viruses,
The moral direction of our society!,
War - Cruelty - Greed - Indifference,
Is how cruel the people of the world are,
Fear Is Void of Freedom
Martin Luther King Jr.,
||Be the change you want to see in the world.
sustainability across the board,
Anthropology and cultures,
Homo Delphinus by Jacques Mayol%u200E,
Spell of the Sensuous,
The Myth of Sisyphus,
Almost anything worth reading
UNITED by 7 Billion Actions,
Helpless K.D. Lang,
The Rose-Bette Midler,
Le Duc: paccaya,
TULKU: Doors to Paradise,
Sounds of Nature,
The Big Blue,
My Sister's Keeper,
My son is studying film,
movies that my son makes,
Into the Wild,
" The March of the Penquins ",
Hotel Rwanda (I think everyone needs to
Curry!The hotter the better!!!!,
my fruit and veggie smoothies,
New Mexico mountains and deserts,
|Can't Live Without
3.Safe Food Supply
||Introduce yourself to Tammy
It's easy to embed a video hosted by one of the following sites on your
MyPage. Simply add the URL of the video you want to share, from one of
• Google Video
• MySpace Videos
Hit the "edit" button on the "My Video"
module. and add the URL of the video you want to share. Not
sure what the URLs look like? Here are examples from each of the