Apparently, putting our used kitchen sponges in the dishwasher is not enough.
Our kitchen sponges are breeding grounds for illness-causing bacteria and viruses such as E. coli To protect ourselves and our families, check out the advice in this University of Florida bulletin. Basically, every other day or so, thoroughly wet your sponges (no metallic content), put in microwave oven for two minutes, remove with tongs as they will be very hot. When cool, wring out and dry to use again. One source stressed that the sponges must be very wet and that they should not be left unattended in the m/wave.
To your health and mine,
Have a happy, healthy, peaceful New Year!