|Prep Time:||Less than 4 hrs|
re. article at... http://www.care2.com/news/member/407433860/1272881
GOJI SUNFLOWER MESQUITE ENERGY BARS...AND VARIATIONS! (gluten free, vegan)
yield: 16 approx. 1"x4" bars
3 c gluten free puffed or crisped cereal (I used puffed millet, feel free to try using puffed amaranth, puffed or crisped rice, any other puffed/crispy cereal, like Perky's Nutty Flax or Nutty Rice)
3 T chia seed
1/2 c sunflower seeds, toasted (or other seed/chopped nut)
3 T goji berries, lightly chopped (or other dried fruit)
1/4 t sea salt
1/4 c + 3 T brown rice syrup
1 T sunflower oil (or other oil)
3 T mesquite flour
optional, for extra vitamins!: 1/4 tsp vitamin C crystals
- Place cereal in a large bowl.
- Warm brown rice syrup and sunflower oil together over low heat, whisking until mixed. Remove from heat. NOTE: if using flax oil, warm brown rice syrup alone, remove from, then stir in flax oil. Flax oil should never be directly heated.
- Quickly add mesquite flour, salt, vitamin C crystals, and any additional spices to warm syrup/oil mixture, and stir until well combined. Work quickly, mixture coats cereal and other ingredients best when still warm.
- Pour warm mixture over cereal, and stir a few times to coat cereal. Add goji berries, chia seeds, toasted and sunflower seeds in batches, and continue stirring until evenly mixed.
- Transfer cereal mixture into prepared 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Spread evenly across surface of pan, then press mixture firmly until smooth and even.
- Place in refrigerator to chill, for 1-2 hours. Slice into bars of desired size.
- Wrap bars tightly or transfer to airtight container. Stores best in the refrigerator.
Approximate nutritional information/bar (yield 16 bars): 100 cal, 3.5 g fat, 14 g carb, 8 g sugar, 1.5 g fiber, 2 g protein