|Prep Time:||Less than 4 hrs|
re. article at... http://www.care2.com/news/member/407433860/1272881
CLASSIC BUTTER PASTRY with Mesquite Flour - by Rebecca Reilly
(Yields: 1 crust)
1 cup high protein blend minus 1 ½ tablespoons
1 ½ tablespoons mesquite flour
2 tablespoons sweet rice
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon xanthan
6 tablespoons cold butter or Earth Balance
1 egg, ¼ cup flax gel or 1 teaspoon agar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1. Mix the high protein blend, mesquite flour, sweet rice flour, sugar, salt and xanthan gum together.
2. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the dry ingredients to form a coarse meal.
3. Make a well in the center and put the egg and vinegar in. Mix together and incorporate the dry ingredients. Gather into a flat cake.
4. If the pastry is too soft to roll refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
5. Roll out pastry between 2 pieces cut from a large heavy-duty zip-lock bag and line the pan with the pastry. Trim the edges as for any pie or quiche.
Procedures for pre-baking
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Butter an 8-9 inch quiche pan, pie dish or a 9 inch removable bottom tart pan.
3. Bake for 12 minutes in 375 oven on the bottom rack. Cool slightly.
Procedures for baking a pie or quiche without pre-baking the crust
1. Place the filled pie in a 425 degree oven on the bottom rack for 12 minutes.
2. Lower the heat of the oven to 350, raise the pie or quiche to the middle rack and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until done.
GLUTEN FREE FLOUR BLENDS by Rebecca Reilly
High Protein Flour (Good for items that need elasticity like wraps or pie crust)
1 1/4 cups bean flour (your favorite blend), chickpea flour or soy flour
1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup white rice flour, brown rice or sorghum