Pit Bull is voted as the number one most vicious dogs according to one of many episodes of Dog Whisperer. Though it was completely debunked by Caesar Milan, some still believe this myth to be true. When there are dog attacks on human, some immediately think it was the deed of a pit bull. Poor pit bulls and pit bull owners, some are even descriminated by not allowing the dog to be socialized with other breed in some dog day care facilities. But I would like to share to you couple of actual facts about this breed:
1. According to the American Temperament Test Society in their February 19, 2012 results, the American Pit Bull Terrier has an 86.8% passing rate as compared to a 82.8% rate for all breeds.
2. Pit bulls are one of those breeds that with positive reinforcement, will thrive to be the most loyal and dependable.
3. This breed loves to please the owner. You don't need to physically handling this breed in order to show who's boss.Dog aggression can always be reduced by spaying and neutering the dog.
4. This breed is considered a "nanny" dog not so long ago in Britain.
5. American pit bull terriers successfully fill the role of companion dog, police dog, and therapy dog.
As a pit bull owner myself, I have never experience the negative side of owning this breed. I have more problem with smaller breeds than this breed, nor other "dangerous breeds" (such as Rotweiller and German Shepard). I remember climbing up my grandmother's 120 lbs German Sherpard, when I was 6 years old, he was just stood there gently making sure I was okay. How about the 100 lbs Rotweiller I met one time by a train station, he was so gentle and so friendly. I, currently, own a male pit bull. He is so sweet and cuddly.
I, however, once got bitten by my aunt's Japanese Shi Tzu, got chased by a cihuahua. I have also watched my husband got bitten by a neighbor's yorkie. Though pit bull breed is not for everyone, I hope if you decide to own a pit bull, do your research and be a responsible dog owner. Once you do all your homework, you will go through the best experience with your new loyal companion as I am now with my adorable pittie.