Due to the tough economic environment many animal shelters are currently full and can no longer accept pets. As a result, the shelters are running short on food and cash. Some shelters are absolutely desperate for assistance.
I have spoken to several people from various animal shelters recently and all that I had spoken to appear to be in the same situation, though some are worse off than others.
The reason why I am telling you this is because The Middletown Humane Society is at full capacity and is in need of assistance. There are several things that you can do to help.
1) Consider adopting an animal from the shelter. You can view their current animals on-line or in person. Visit the shelter at The Middletown Humane Society – 142 Bloomingburg Road, Middletown New York 10940 (845) 361-1861 or www.middletownhumanesociety.com.
2) Consider Cage Sponsorship which is explained on their website. Basically, you sponsor a cage and your name is put on a plague which is placed on that cage & the funds for the sponsorship go towards the care of the animal in that particular cage. And, if the present animal in your sponsorship cage is adopted, the next animal put into that cage picks up the sponsorship care until your sponsorship runs out.
3) Become a Member of The Middletown Humane Society. You can get a membership form directly from the shelter.
4) Make a one-time donation to the shelter. They accept Pay Pal, checks or cash. See their website for more details.
5) Donate pet food or items currently requested on their website. Stop by & drop the items off or send them a check or gift certificate for the requested items. Even better, make a collection of requested items in your neighborhood and take the entire collection to the shelter including your donation.
6) Mention the shelter situation at your office. Perhaps instead of exchanging office holiday gifts this year, your office might consider making a donation to the shelter.
7) Tell your friends and family members about The Middletown Humane Society’s situation perhaps they can consider any of these options as worthwhile and find a way to help also.
8) Hang a copy of this message in a public place or in your office. Perhaps there is someone else that might be interested in assisting.
9) Volunteer to assist with the care of the animals at the shelter.
If you would like to donate to a different animal shelter, they all accept Pay Pal and would be more than glad to accept your gift. Another animal shelter in great need is the Warwick Humane Society. This shelter currently has over 180 cats that have been abandoned and can use cat food donations and funds. Warwick Valley Humane Society - P.O. Box 61, 48 Public Works Drive, Warwick, NY 10990 Phone: (845) 986-2473 or http://wvhumane.org/animalshelter/
Whatever you decide to do is appreciated. Please do something to help. After all, giving to those in need is the real reason for the holidays!
In advance, thank you for your kindness and understanding.