Being in a long distance relationship is never easy. To some the distance is too unbearable or other issues like fidelity, trust and patience have been too much to overcome. Such an arrangement is not for everyone but there are those who give it a shot in the hopes that they will be able to maintain a relationship despite the odds.
I’m sure that people have given you their two cents if you’re pondering on going on a long distance relationship or actually already in one.
1. Talk – ideally the important questions and discussions should have taken place earlier so you’re clear on the parameters of this relationship but if there are still areas that you are unclear about, it is best to just talk about it. And of course, while away from each other, you should always keep in touch. Let the other person know what you’re up to, just because you’re away from each other doesn’t mean they no longer matter or won’t worry about you. There are a number of tools around especially through technology like instant messaging, video calling and other applications that can help you bridging the communication divide.
There are a number of applications that you can download like “Between” and “Pair” that can greatly boost your communications. Talk to you VoIP provider or your network provider on the costs of certain applications or programs.
2. Live your life – you don’t want to resent each other for the limitations this arrangement may have. Just because your partner isn’t physically beside you doesn’t mean you have to stop exploring and growing as a person. To some, this is actually a great time to get to know themselves and try out new things you otherwise wouldn’t have been able to try if your partner was around.
You can also try pursuing the same things while apart. For example, if you’re both interested in art, both of you can take art classes separately, this will give you something to compare and talk about and have some sense of connectivity even while you’re apart. Make it a point to see the progress of each other and you can even send pictures of what you’ve been up to make it more concrete.
3. Have something to look forward to – defy the distance and plan things together. It’s important to have time and make the effort to see each other every so often. This gives you little trips to look forward to and plan for which can actually make each time you see each other much more exciting.
4. Trust each other – if you’re both in this, you have to trust each other. Try not to be a meddling or overbearing partner. Talk about your feelings and thoughts in order to work it out. It’s important to challenge each other for the better and this will also keep you guys preoccupied. Have a healthy fitness challenge to each other that will give you something to strive for.
5. Leave something for each other – something that will constantly remind you of each other even when you’re apart. This can be a piece of jewelry or something as small as your first movie date stub. It’s something solid you can hold onto and keep you positive about your relationship.