The year 2012 has been widely considered the year of smartphones due to significant increase in production and purchases, with over 700 million handsets shipped throughout the year. But according to research firms and some industry analysts, these devices may not become that popular this year.
Major android phone manufacturer HTC ended the year with a surprise attack to its competitors – a monster phone that packs a 5-inch screen and features full HD resolution, the first of its kind. A couple of months later, Sony announced its own version of the phone which also boasts a 5” display. There are also floating rumors about a Samsung Galaxy IV launching in April, with an even bigger screen than the Samsung Galaxy SIII that already has 4.8 inches. And the list goes on.
So what exactly is happening?
It is pretty simple. Manufacturers are looking to release bigger and wider devices for consumers and gadget lovers. The smartphone world may still be a force to reckon with, but the emerging power this year would be the tablets. The question is why. Here are a number of reasons why this particular device will top the charts this year:
- More people are using their gadgets for entertainment purposes. Compared to smartphones, tablets are much more useful and efficient in the entertainment department. There is no better way of viewing HD films than using a tablet.
- More people are beginning to prefer tablets than laptops. The laptop has had its glory years, but time has slowly taken away the prestige of owning one. Now, consumers prefer to use tablets because they are lighter and much cheaper.
- The tablet is the middle ground between a smartphone and a laptop. If a person has a smartphone and a laptop, he is forced to bring both in order to utilize telephony and computer features. A tablet can do both, minus the space of a laptop, and less the price of a smartphone.
- People are becoming more comfortable using tablets than ever before. Unlike a few years back when tablet users were laughed at whenever they answer calls, the emergence of quality headphones has helped tablet use become more efficient.
- Tablets support the new OS upgrade of Windows. For tablets which run on Windows 8, the new interface will definitely appeal to gadget lovers who want a new look.
These are just a few reasons why tablets will take the stage this year. During the recent Consumer Electronics Show, several manufacturers introduced stunning devices which immediately grabbed the interest of press people. And with NVIDIA’s latest Tegra 4 processor packed in one of CES’s highlights, a tablet manufactured by Vizio, one would surely imagine how powerful such devices would be.
Tablets were first introduced during the latter part of the previous decade, but its large size and odd voice call features definitely did not help in improving its popularity. But in a time where bigger and larger devices are becoming more in-style and in-demand, tablets may slowly become the next high-end business telephone, organizer, e-book reader, and entertainment gadget in the market.