|Action Request:||Visit - online|
|Location:||South Carolina, United States|
We are attempting to gain a charter for NOBLE Virtual School of South Carolina, a tuition-free public school that uses virtual reality to engage students. Our final hearing (TBA) will be in early August.
Although the virtual world aspect of NOBLE immediately gains one's attention, the real value in NOBLE Virtual is due to a number of factors - all based upon education research of the last twenty years but seldom implemented:
1. Project-Based Learning. The virtual world is used for interactive 3D Learning Adventures in which students actually experience real-life applications of the concepts they are learning in the curriculum.
2. Superior Content - our curriculum material is provided by OdysseyWare - which won Best Teacher Authoring software at the ISTE 2013 Conference in San Antonio in June.
3. Parent Involvement - NOBLE has an extensive Family Connections program in which traditional homework is abandoned for family activities that reinforce concepts taught in class.
4. Student and Teacher Interaction - it is very possible in a face-to-face school for a student to go days, weeks or even months without having a teacher speak directly to them one on one. In virtual school, it is very common for a students to get only one email a week from a teacher. However, at NOBLE Virtual School teachers and student constantly interact with one another every day.
5. Teacher Training - NOBLE teachers will spend one hour a day in professional development - 180 hours a year -- most school system average 24 hours.
We are educators and parents who want New Opportunities for Better Learning Environments for our students. We are not a major corporation seeking shareholder profits and we operate on a shoestring budget.
- Signatures on our Petition.
- Letters of Support form South Carolina government and business leaders.
- Students on the Waiting List -- there is no obligation to actually enroll.
- Donations for covering advertising and other start-up expenses.
We appreciate any help anyone can give us to get NOBLE Virtual School approved.
Please visit http://noblevirtual.org to learn more.