START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
Nov 22, 2013

Corliss Steam Engine Boiler Group Gear Rooms Corliss Steam Engine Company

Firmenname                           Corliss Steam Engine Company

Ortssitz                                   Providence (R.I.)

Straße                                     Charles Street

Art des Unternehmens          Maschinenfabrik

Anmerkungen                        Teilhaber: Corliss, Nightingale, Clark, Scott, Smith, Grenville, Wood. Bis 1857: "Corliss, Nightingale & Co." (s.d.). 1874: G. H. Corliss, Präsident; W. Corliss, Leiter der Finanzen. Nahe Charles-St. Bahnübergang, auch als West River Street 146 angegeben. Lt. Briefkopf (1867+1894): "The Corliss Steam Engine Company" mit D. M. Thompson (Präsident und Finanzleiter), Stephen A. Jenks (Vizepräsident), Wm. B. Sherman (Sekretär) und Chas. E. Giles (Agent). 1888: 5 acres Grundfläche und über 1.000 Beschäftigte. Die "Franklin Machine Company" ist 1925 der Nachfolger der "Corliss Engine Works" (so noch 1868) [Smithsoniancontributions, Internet].

Quellenangaben                    Exponat im Art and Ind. Building, Washington DC. [Wiley: American iron trade manual (1874) 158]

                                                [Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 378]

Hinweise                                 The company was originally known as Fairbanks, Clark & Co. in the 1830s. In 1843 it was renamed Fairbanks, Bancroft & Co. when Edward Bancroft joined the company. In 1846 it was renamed Bancroft, Nightingale & Co. when Corliss joined the company, and in 1847 it was renamed Corliss, Nightingale and Co. In 1848 the company moved to the location shown in the images above at the Charles Street Railroad Crossing. In 1857 the company was renamed for the last time to Corliss Steam Engine Company. By 1864 Corliss bought out his partners and was the sole owner of the company. George H. Corliss' house can be seen in the middle letter-head behind the factory to the right. In 1900 the Corliss Steam Engine Company was purchased by the International Power Company. The fourth image above shows the factory in 1904. In 1905 it was purchased by the American and British Manufacturing Company. In 1925 the company merged into Franklin Machine Company. By then Franklin Machine Company already owned the William A. Harris Steam Engine Company.

Corliss Steam Engine Boiler Group Gear Rooms Corliss Steam Engine Company

Related Articles:

http://www.albert-gieseler.de/dampf_de/firmen0/firmadet866.shtml

http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/2009/12/smelter-tech-the-corliss-engine/

Visibility: Everyone
Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted: Nov 22, 2013 10:19pm

 

 
 
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.

Author

Kayleigh Lavoie
, 0
Canada
Shares by Type:
All (3) | Blog (3)

Showing shares tagged with: boiler [show all]
Kayleigh's Tags:
group, engine, report, Corliss, company, steam, gear, rooms, review
SHARES FROM KAYLEIGH'S NETWORK
No shares