START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
Nov 22, 2013

Corliss Steam Engine Boiler Group Gear Rooms Corliss Steam Engine Company

Firmenname                           Corliss Steam Engine Company

Ortssitz                                   Providence (R.I.)

Straße                                     Charles Street

Art des Unternehmens          Maschinenfabrik

Anmerkungen                        Teilhaber: Corliss, Nightingale, Clark, Scott, Smith, Grenville, Wood. Bis 1857: "Corliss, Nightingale & Co." (s.d.). 1874: G. H. Corliss, Präsident; W. Corliss, Leiter der Finanzen. Nahe Charles-St. Bahnübergang, auch als West River Street 146 angegeben. Lt. Briefkopf (1867+1894): "The Corliss Steam Engine Company" mit D. M. Thompson (Präsident und Finanzleiter), Stephen A. Jenks (Vizepräsident), Wm. B. Sherman (Sekretär) und Chas. E. Giles (Agent). 1888: 5 acres Grundfläche und über 1.000 Beschäftigte. Die "Franklin Machine Company" ist 1925 der Nachfolger der "Corliss Engine Works" (so noch 1868) [Smithsoniancontributions, Internet].

Quellenangaben                    Exponat im Art and Ind. Building, Washington DC. [Wiley: American iron trade manual (1874) 158]

                                                [Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 378]

Hinweise                                 The company was originally known as Fairbanks, Clark & Co. in the 1830s. In 1843 it was renamed Fairbanks, Bancroft & Co. when Edward Bancroft joined the company. In 1846 it was renamed Bancroft, Nightingale & Co. when Corliss joined the company, and in 1847 it was renamed Corliss, Nightingale and Co. In 1848 the company moved to the location shown in the images above at the Charles Street Railroad Crossing. In 1857 the company was renamed for the last time to Corliss Steam Engine Company. By 1864 Corliss bought out his partners and was the sole owner of the company. George H. Corliss' house can be seen in the middle letter-head behind the factory to the right. In 1900 the Corliss Steam Engine Company was purchased by the International Power Company. The fourth image above shows the factory in 1904. In 1905 it was purchased by the American and British Manufacturing Company. In 1925 the company merged into Franklin Machine Company. By then Franklin Machine Company already owned the William A. Harris Steam Engine Company.

Corliss Steam Engine Boiler Group Gear Rooms Corliss Steam Engine Company

Related Articles:

http://www.albert-gieseler.de/dampf_de/firmen0/firmadet866.shtml

http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/2009/12/smelter-tech-the-corliss-engine/

Visibility: Everyone
Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted: Nov 22, 2013 10:19pm
Oct 14, 2013

Group Report Corliss Engine: The Great Corliss Engine

This remarkable mechanism was a simple condensing engine. It was finished in 1876 requiring seven months to build. It furnished power for running the machinery at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876. It was purchased by George Pullman in 1880 and was moved from Providence RI where it had been in storage after the run of the Centennial Exposition to Pullman, requiring a train of thirty-five cars to transport it. It was shaped like the capital letter A and from the floor to the top of the walking beam was forty feet. The cylinders were forty inches in diameter affording a ten-foot stroke. The diameter of the crankshaft was eighteen inches and twelve feet long. The diameter of the large gear (fly) wheel was thirty feet with a face of 24 inches and was the largest gear wheel in the world. The gear wheel meshed into a pinion wheel that powered 3268 feet of main power shafting located in tunnels 4-5 feet below grade in tunnel. From the main power shaft, approximately 13,000' of overhead shafting and two miles of belting applied to the machinery in the car shop. The engine was capable of developing 2500 horsepower.

When the engine was started at the Centennial exposition in Philadelphia's Fairmont Park by President Grant and Emperor Don Pedro III of Brazil, they were supported by a choir of 1000 singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, a band of 150 pieces playing the Centennial March composed by Richard Wagner, followed by 100 gun salute.

The engine was started by Florence Pullman on April 2, 1881, and ran until the fall of 1910, when it was scrapped after electricity replaced steam as the power source. Portions of the foundation of the original engine house and power shaft tunnels located below grade are still visible on the site.

The engine house at the Pullman Factory was located east (to the rear) of the North Factory wing in a room 40' square and 66' high. Wide aisles around the engine platform were providing for visitor on sight seeing tours of the factory works. The cost of engine was $77,000.

Group Report Corliss Engine: The Great Corliss Engine

Related Articles:

http://www.dailystrength.org/groups/brown-corliss-engine-co-group-forge-room

http://forums.oreilly.com/topic/88627-the-corliss-engine-group/

http://www.zimbio.com/Business+News/articles/eVOEckrzYDx/Corliss+Engine+Group+Frank+William+Shillitto

Visibility: Everyone
Tags: , , ,
Posted: Oct 14, 2013 9:42pm

 

 
 
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.

Author

Kayleigh Lavoie
, 0
Canada
Shares by Type:
All (3) | Blog (3)

Showing shares tagged with: group [show all]
Kayleigh's Tags:
engine, report, Corliss, company, steam, gear, rooms, boiler, review
SHARES FROM KAYLEIGH'S NETWORK
No shares