Wow! Get stuck with computer problems and go offline for a few days, and come back to a whole realm of new and interesting (and hopefully fun) features! There's a lot to catch up on, I see, so let's just get right to it, shall we?
Care2 has launched several new features and tools in the past few days:
* Care2 IM (Care2 Instant Messenger):
To disable this tool, simply go to your profile page, click "Edit Profile" and select the Notifications tab. The first thing on the page is the IM settings. Make your choice, and then click the "save changes" button. Give the system at least 30 minutes to "set" the changes, and you should be good to go.
* Increased default font (now size 3 [12pt])
* Embed videos into discussion posts:
To do this, Hosts must go into the Group Management Console, click on "Discussion Forum Settings" and check the box in the Web Forum settings. Click the "submit" button to save your changes, and you should be good to go.
* Edit posts (you have five minutes from the point of submission to edit your post)
* Friends list alphabetized by first name
For Group Hosts, Care2 has introduced a new tool allowing group hosts to:
* Option to make groups completely private
* View post history of any member in the group
* Add or view notes about a member (written and viewable by hosts only)
* Block or unblock members
* "new member" notification (allows hosts to see new members to the group by looking at the "view newest members" on the group home page, underneath the member list)
Now, all these new features means that some of the requests listed on the Members' "Most Wanted" List can now be removed. And with that in mind, here's the new Members' "Most Wanted" list:
Members would really like:
(1) To customize the My Connect page (choose themes, like we can do with our groups, profile pages, and blogs; select which modules to display)
(2) To have the option to send e-cards, messages, and green stars directly from the "My Friends" list.
(3) To have a few choices to check off when we send someone a green star, so the recipient knows why they're getting the star. (e.g. "Thinking of you," "Great post in _____ group," "Thanks for the star," etc.)
(4) An optional questionaire that can be filled out when people leave a group, for the purpose of providing feedback to the Group Hosts, so that they (Group Hosts) can gauge how well their group is working for their members.
(5) Provide "BCC" option in personal messaging
(6) E-card link to profiles
(7) Time & date-stamping of personal messages
(8) Allow for more than one green star per week
(9) The ability to send green stars to all friends at once, without having to click on each profile
(10) Ability to use address book in email to send a message simply by clicking on a person's name
(11) Mark the groups members host/co-host on the My Groups page, to separate them from the main list
The Care2 Support and Engineering teams have gone to a great deal of effort to provide these new features for the community. There are still some bugs being worked out, so please try to be patient while the engineers continue working to get everything up and running properly.
Should you find that features and tools aren't working, please fill out a Help Form and describe the problem in detail so the engineers can investigate. Make sure you include what you've done to correct things, too. Enjoy the new features!
For those of you who knew her, Rebecca Mayes - a.k.a. "Dungeon Lady" or "Auntie Becca" - was an amazing woman filled with love, compassion, caring, stubbornness, loyalty, honesty, and a sense of humor that could reduce people to tears when she unleashed it.
So, it is with an ocean of tears and a broken heart that I tell you that our beloved Dungeon Lady has left this life.
Rebecca will be deeply missed by those who knew and loved her, including me. I can't believe that this is happening - I keep thinking that this is just a misunderstanding, and that the Dungeon Lady is going to come into the groups and tell everyone it's a misunderstanding, and that she's alive and holding her own. I don't want to believe this is real!
But, while it is cold comfort for those of us who are left to try and cope with this shock, at least Rebecca is no longer suffering. She is free, now, from the burdens she endured in this life.
Walk in beauty, beloved friend. I will miss you, and I will never forget you...
Hi everyone! The Care2 Support and engineering teams have been hard at work, and they've brought in two new features for group hosts: Deleting multiple posts right from the thread, and a new Group Host Bulletin Board!
These two new tools are designed to make things easier and more efficient for Group Hosts, and they're both very easy to use. Feedback is requested and encouraged, so please use the links provided to give yours.
Care2 announced the surprise New Year's gift this afternoon at Care2 Feedback and Suggestions, in response to another member. Here's what they had to say:
Care2 S. 3:32 PM Yay! We are pleased to announce that our engineers were able to launch this feature today. You may access the feature from your group management console. It's labeled, "Delete".
Right now it's available to all basic & branded groups. The process for launching the feature on "premium" groups is a little more complicated but will be coming soon.
Sincerely, Care2 Support This is fantastic news for group owners. Now, instead of having to go to the time and trouble of contacting Care2, then waiting for them to do the deed, group owners who no longer want their groups, or who have tired of trying to keep "dead" groups alive, can simply delete the group themselves. Not only does this mean a lot to group owners, but it's also going to save a huge amount of time for Care2 Support staff, who are often busy trying to sort out glitches and plan new upgrades.
Thankyou so much for this new feature, Care2. Happy New Year!
You might already know that you can receive group discussions in your email inbox. But did you know you can post to your groups via email as well?
When you post to Groups from email, your post appears on the discussion board of the Group just as it would if you had posted from the web. You can reply to posts *and* start new threads via email.
The first thing you need to do is make sure you have your group's mail preferences set up. Near the top of the group homepage look for a 'Email preferences' link. To be able to post to a group via email you must select either 'Individual Email' or 'Daily Digest'. If you select 'Individual Email' you will receive an email for each post. You can reply to a post simply by clicking 'Reply' in your email client just as you would any other email.
To start a new thread you can send an email to the group message email address. The group email address looks something like firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find the group email address for your group on the group homepage.
(Click the link above to read the rest of the notice.)
There's also something else to take note of, in case you haven't noticed it already: On the home page of groups, the group email is posted below the "Membership:" status on the group home page. And below that is your email preference (and the link to change it, if you wish), and the "Invite Your Friends" button. The result is a much more clean and organized page layout.
Thanks, Care2, for working to make things great for us!
We recently did a soft-launch of an important new feature for Care2 Groups: Every group now has the opportunity to have its own mailing list (often called a "listserv"). We'll soon be doing the "full launch" of the service, so we wanted to give you a little more insight into where we're going with all of this.
Why Mailing Lists?
We surveyed Care2 Group Hosts and leaders of small nonprofit organizations and identified this feature as one of the most important tools we could add to our site. Most members of groups, whether here at Care2 or elsewhere, frequently check their email but only occasionally visit the group's homepage. Thus, the best way to help keep the most group members informed and connected is via email.
Listservs also traditionally come with associated hosting fees/hassles, so by bundling this with our free group tools we hope to provide a simple, effective solution.
Mailing lists vs Discussion Forums
Our new mailing list service is an extension of our popular discussion forums. If you like the way the discussion forums work today, nothing needs to change - you can choose to interact with them exactly as you have been. But now, in addition, you can also receive the discussion posts directly in your inbox, or post to a discussion from your email. The mailing lists functionality is simply more convenient for some people.
Contacting your group members is now easier for Hosts and Co-Hosts, thanks to the new group email feature. To contact your group members, just follow these easy steps:
1. First, make sure you've enabled the Host Announcement feature. You can do this by going into your Group Management Console and scrolling to the bottom, where you'll find a link called "Home Page Modules." Click the link, and make sure the "Host Announcements" box is checked. Submit, then return to the group home page.
2. To send a message to all your members at once, simply click on the link on the group home page that says "Create New Announcement." You'll find this right under the Host profile pictures.
(NOTE: If the Hosts are hidden from view, you'll just see the "Create New Announcement" link)
3. Click the link to create an announcement. You'll see that it looks just like a regular reply window. Type your message, preview it to make sure it's what you want, and then click Submit. You'll see your notice on the group home page.
And that's all there is to it.
There are a few things you need to be aware of with the Host Announcements feature, though:
* If members have opted to receive "web only" mail - meaning, they aren't tracking anything - they won't receive your message in their email. They'll have to click the message itself on the group home page to read it.
* Neither you nor your members can reply directly to a Host Announcement. The best anyone will be able to do is to start a new thread - and that depends on what their email settings are.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.