Jul 19, 2007
I received this from a friend. Please be aware and pass it on!
PLEASE READ FOR OWNERS OF DOGS OR FRIENDS OF DOG OWNERS. VERY IMPORTANT
Subject: Fw: Dog Owners Poison Alert
If you do not have a dog, please share with others, who have dogs. I have
verified this information as being truthful using the following site:
Have a dog?...read this CAREFULLY and please send it on.
This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seeen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.
He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM onWednesday but the
owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal Failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in
immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service atMedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids at 1 ½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the
next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over
40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.At
that point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on
toMedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to
220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes can be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats,
including our ex-handlers. Any exposure should give rise to immediate
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.
Lawton, OK, USA
|SHARES FROM G.'S NETWORK
\\n\\r\\nHello my C2
Family, \\r\\nFirst let
me say Thank You to those
of you who have so
sweetly fwd my posts. You
are SO AWESOME!! I will
never forget your help.
Anytime I can repay the
favour, please tell me.
Second, my Submit button
has disappeared lea...
it\\r\\nHow does it apply
to the matter at
hand\\r\\nIs There A
rsquo;s The Mentality The
mind set of being
or inducing suppression.
Suppression often being
conditions of discomfort,
1. Go to a peaceful,
serene spot that you feel
most calm in. It must be
quiet and free of
clutter. 2. Close your
eyes and get into a
position. Take six deep
breaths with a count of
six seconds on the inhale
through the nose and