DHS is aiming to issue a national identity card, known as Real ID, to every American. The national ID card could dictate how you travel, what government buildings you can and cannot enter and whether or not some of your financial transactions would be authorized.
America does not need this costly "big brother" nightmare. Consider the following:
- The Real ID card will enable the routine tracking of individuals and propel us towards a surveillance society.
- This scheme opens the floodgates to invade the privacy of ordinary, law-abiding citizens.
- The creation of a single interlinked database will create one-stop shopping for identity thieves.
- The Real ID will make it easy for any business to save your personal information and sell it to other companies.
- People whose religious beliefs forbid them from having their pictures taken or using a social security card will be forced to obey this law to participate in our society.
- This Act creates huge administrative burdens for each state and will cost Americans over $23 billion through higher taxes and licensing fees. It provides no federal funds for implementation.
The Department of Homeland Security is accepting comments on the Real ID Act through May 8. The number of comments will be watched by many influential Members of Congress, not just your own.
Your personal comments are critical to prevent Real ID from becoming a Real Nightmare! Please add your comments below.
[We have only until May 8th; so please SIGN and submit your comments NOW!]
A proud card-carrying member of the ACLU -- BMutiny T