Where Heart Shift Happens. Teaching the Science of Sustainable Health. What works for 7 future generations? "Do not go where the freeway may lead - Go instead where there is no path and build - A Green Road"
* PASADENA, CA Peace, Love & Kumbaya An evening of music, poetry and inspiration featuring original poetry by the students, and musical performances by Nancy Nevins, Steve Trovato, Polly Podewell & Tom Arbruster with Jane Friday. 7:00PM, The Church of Truth, 680 E. Orange Grove Blvd. Pasadena, CA
* LOS ANGELES, CA The Way of Council, A Season for Nonviolence Los Angeles Workshop In this workshop we will discover each other and ourselves in a safe and open environment, fostering communication from the Heart! Saturdays, during Season for Nonviolence 2012 (beginning Sat., Feb. 11th), 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. The Common Peace office @ The Peace Center, 8124 W. Third Street, Los Angeles, CA 90048 Candace Carnicelli, Director, Common Peace @ (323) 931-9125, www.commonpeace.org
* FAIR PLAY, CA Express Yourself in a Loving Way! We will start with a hike (weather permitting) and talk about anything that we would like to see changed in the world, have lunch and get to know one another, then write a letter to someone, some agency, some goverment official or some company. 11:00 a.m. - Fair Play Farms, Fair Play, California Jeralynn Swan (530) 620 - 6412. Please R.S.V.P. Organic lunch will be provided.
* RIVERSIDE, CA Inland Area Peace Parley Small group discussion of key questions such as: What opportunities are there for making peace visible in the Inland area in 2012? How might we initiate conversations about peace in schools, churches or other local institutions? What effective ways have you or your organization found to work for peace? 1-3:30pm, All Saints' Episcopal Church, 3847 Terracina Drive, Riverside, CA 92506 http://g.co/maps/q7v2h, RSVP, 951-784-2985 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* GRASS VALLEY, CA Birthing Peace Within - Workshop with Janel Mirendah In a four hour workshop Janet Mirendah will provide a safe space for those interested in beginning to explore the possibility of each of us healing our own birth in order to create peace within. Body Balance upstairs at 151 Mill Street, Grass Valley, Time: 1 - 4 PM, Fee: $50 Rev. Lanette Howard, email@example.com, www.ncpeace.org
* SPRING, TX Afternoon Concert with Cornell Kinderknecht and Julie Bonk Cornell Kinderknecht, award-nominated, world flutes recording artist, with guest artist, renowned blues and jazz pianist Julie Bonk. The concert is open to the public. Admission: $10 / person
* PORT HURON, MI V-Day A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant, and A Prayer:
Writings to stop Violence Against Women and Girls A groundbreaking collection of monologues by world-renowned authors and playwrights, edited by Eve Ensler and Molly Doyle will be read by local community members. Upper Level Acoustic Cafe, 1227 10th Avenue, Port Huron, MI, 7:00 p.m. Lyn Chabot, Co-Coordinator, 810-327-1802, cell 810-650-1898, bluewatersnv.com
Sunday, February 12, 2012
* FREDERICK, MD Movie& Discussion: Little Town of Bethlehem Come face to face with the struggle for a nonviolent solution to the crisis that has torn apart the people of Israel and Palestine. The discussion after the film of the issues raised will be led by Imam Hendi and Rabbi Serota. 3:00 - 5:00pm, Unity in Frederick, Frederick, MD 21701 301-846-0868, www.unityfrederick.org/SNV2012.html
* KENWOOD, CA Rev. John Dear, S.J, "Lazarus Come Forth!" book talk Book talk by Rev. John Dear S.J., Jesuit Priest, Peace Activist, and author/editor of 28 books on peace and nonviolence. St. Patrick's Episcopal hall, 9000 Sonoma Hwy. in Kenwood, CA www.johndear.org, www.mettacenter.org/season
* PETALUMA, CA The Power of Forgiveness The film includes true stories of forgiveness along with interviews of people from many faith traditions. Free program. 4-6 pm at Leisure Lake mobile home park clubhouse, 300 Stony Point Rd., Petaluma Kendra at 707-992-0367 or firstname.lastname@example.org, www.mettacenter.org/season
* REDONDO BEACH, CA The Great Peace Makers The Sanctuary of Peace Ministry will be sponsoring four free seminars beginning January 29th. Each seminar will begin after second service from 12:30- 2:00 PM in our beautiful sanctuary. 12:30-2:00.
Redondo Beach Center for Spiritual Living, 907 Knob Hill Ave.,Redondo Beach, CA 310-540-5080, http://www.rbcsl.org
* LOS ANGELES, CA SILENT PEACE WALK We will take time to center, then walk as a group in the silence, approximately one mile along the beach areas, in an Intention and Expression of Peace. Clothing: If possible, please wear white. 4:00PM; Meet @ Reed Park @ 1130 Lincoln Blvd.,@ Wilshire & Lincoln Blvd. - No. side of Wilshire Candace Carnicelli (323) 931-9125, www.commonpeace.org
* LOS ANGELES, CA Drumming 4 Peace, A Healing Drum Circle Come join our healing drum circle, "Drumming 4 Peace". We are fortunate to have Eric Robnett with us to lead the drum circle. Eric is an Afro-Brazilian percussionist with 25 years experience. Guidance Church, an Affiliate of Centers for Spiritual Living, 7225 Crenshaw Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90043. Drumming will take place in the sanctuary 12:30 p.m. Reverend Nirvana Gayle, 323-778-0773, www.guidancechurch.org
* GRASS VALLEY, CA Peace Meditation/Exploration Discussion focus-- writings on Nonviolent resistance by Thoreau, Gandhi, MLK, C.Chavez.. Sponsored by UUCM Social Action Committee. Free. Public invited. Unitarian Universalist Church of the Mountains, 246 South Church Street, Grass Valley (Corner of Church & Walsh) 9:30 AM Meditation, 10:00 AM Discussion Rev. Lanette Howard, email@example.com, www.ncpeace.org
* LYNNWOOD, WA Season for Peace and Non-Violence: "Being a 'Yes' to Spirit"
This interactive workshop, designed to evoke spiritually-inspired social action, focuses on the Season for Peace and Non-Violence: its history and its projects.
Unity in Lynnwood, 16727 Alderwood Mall Parkway, Lynnwood WA 98037 Sunday Celebration Service: 10:00 to 11:30 am, Workshop: 12:00 to 2:00 pm, unityinlynnwood.org
* PORT ANGELES, WA Communicating to Connect with Compassion - NVC Workshop This workshop is set up to make communicating needs and wants better, to share love and compassion with those you care about. Learning to give and receive with kindness. Unity In the Olympics, 2917 E. Myrtle St., Port Angeles, WA 98362 12:30-2:00, 360-457-3981; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Monday, February 13, 2012
* SEBASTOPOL, CA
Heart of Resilience Monthly Gathering
Jerry Allen and Suzie Gruber help participants cultivate inner strength and purpose using tools designed to foster the ability to respond rather than react and learn to stay present in the face of difficulty. Fee: $10. 7-9 pm & the 2nd Mon. monthly at St. Stephens Church, 500 Robinson Way, Sebastopol, CA (707) 888-9646 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, www.mettacenter.org/season
* NEVADA CITY, CA
Compassionate Communication Workshop
Explore how our words and our thoughts both create and interfere with compassionate communication and connection. This course will begin with the basic concepts of Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication (NVC) model, using a practical experiential format. Peace Center of Nevada County, 216B Main St., Nevada City, 6:30 PM February 13 - March 19 (Six Mondays) Terri at www.livingcompassion.com, 432-7818
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
* LIVONIA, MI Panel on Restorative Justice The panel will provide an update on the current workings and implementations of Restorative Conferencing and Restorative Practice Peacemaking Circles within diverse school and community settings. Panelists will speak from their experiences as to what brought them to this work, describe results and achievements, and what their vision is for the future. Unity of Livonia, 28660 Five Mile Road, Livonia, MI 48154, www.citizensforpeace11.blogspot.com
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
* ROCHESTER, NY
Talking Circle on Community These events provide an opportunity to explore our values together in a respectful environment. Co-sponsored by Partners in Restorative Initiatives and Restorative Rochester
* NEW YORK, NY "Global Peace through Social Media: There's An App for That!" You're invited to attend the 15th Annual SNV launch at the United Nations on Wednesday, February 15th. This year's launch is planned and presented, in large part, by the students of NYC high schools practicing a Season for Nonviolence 2012. Keynote Speaker is Nipun Mehta. United Nations, Time: 1:15 - 2:30 pm email@example.com, 212-573-9224
* GRASS VALLEY, CA THRIVE-the film A current finger-on-the-pulse look at the state of play of America and the world situation with solutions suggested as to how to proceed from here. Unity in the Gold Country Spiritual Center, 180 Cambridge Court, Grass Valley (off Whispering Pines Lane, across from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply) 7:00 PM Contact: Rev. Lanette Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ncpeace.org
Thursday, February 16, 2012
* NEVADA CITY, CA Nonviolent Success Stories Learn about nonviolent victories so often ignored by the media through stories, lively interaction and film. Explore what nonviolent action involves and how to better use it in your life. Nevada City United Methodist Church 433 Broad Street, Nevada City 6:30 - 8 PM, 530-477-7455
Friday, February 17, 2012
* OAKLAND, CA Film and Community Conversation The Dhamma Brothers Oakland Center for Spiritual Living, 5000 Clarewood Drive, Oakland, CA 7 - 9:30pm, www.oaklandcsl.org
* SPRINGFIELD, OR Dances of Universal Peace Our purpose is to promote peace through appreciation of various religious and spiritual traditions, experienced through music and simple movement in a group setting. The songs and movements are taught by a leader and the dances are accompanied by musicians. Friends Meeting House, 2274 Onyx Street, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. For more information, call Sara at 541-912-6015
* CHARLOTTE, NC Dinner of Compassion 6:30pm, Unity of Charlotte, 401 East Arrowood Rd., Charlotte, NC 704-523-0062, www.unityofcharlotte.org
Earlier This Week at the United Nations AGNT President Rev. Michael Beckwith joined speakers from the world's great religious and spiritual traditions called together by General Assembly President, H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, to celebrate the importance of World Interfaith Harmony Week.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO
Next Week at the United Nations "GLOBAL PEACE THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA"
The 2012 United Nations event, for the 15th consecutive year, is designed and produced by public school students working with New York City SNV task force members and directors of the international SNV campaign. Keynote Speaker is Nipun Mehta, a key member of AGNT's Generation Now forum. Attendees will include hundreds of New York City high school and middle school students, teachers, and administrators.
You're invited to a free 1 hour web tutorial and Q&A session to help you prepare for your Season. We are offering a range of times and dates for calls. The next one is:
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4TH, from 11AM - 12 PM PST
Or other dates and times of your choosing
All of the resources you need for SNV are available on the website. We'll show you where to find them when we cover topics such as: * enrolling team members & getting started * finding the right programs for your group * attracting funding * artwork & multimedia tools * gaining visibility in your community and the larger network * communicating with AGNT headquarters
Once you have registered and signed onto the call, we will give instructions on how to access the simple screen sharing tool we will be using. All you will need for the tutorial is a phone and a computer with internet access. There will be plenty of time for individual questions. We'll do our best to ensure that your Season for Nonviolence 2012 is a success!
Dozens of people held a sit-in at Senator Lieberman's Capitol Hill office this morning to demand that Senator Lieberman pledge to stop taking health insurance company campaign contributions and free up funds so they can be used to pay for patient care. For 30 minutes, demonstrators requested to talk to Senator Lieberman and chanted "Patients not Profits, Medicare for All." Nine members of the Mobilization for Health Care for All sat down in the office lobby until forcibly removed by the police.
Since 1989, only 10 other current senators have brought in more cash from the health sector than Lieberman, who has collected $2.6 million in that time.
Since beginning just over one month ago thousands have signed up to participate in "Patients before Profits" sit-ins and over 920 have signed up willing to risk arrest. By the end of this week the Mobilization will have held 32 sit-ins in 28 different cities with more than 150 arrests and over 220 risking arrest. We started out wanting 100 people to risk arrest at "patients before profits" sit-ins and now more than 920 have done so. The Mobilization needs to continue to grow in order to make the impact the people desperately need - Medicare for All.
Thank you for your support. Please take action now.
Thanks for all that you do, Healthcare-NOW! National Staff
Raise between $4-$14* per member, per MONTH, while saving the world. A unique new fund raising method offers savings on residential electricity or natural gas bills, while generating cash for your cause.
Raise money for your non profit, animal rights cause, church, civic organization, sports team, apartment management, homeowners association, community group, or club, just by helping people save money on their utility bills.
Your fundraising drive has never seen a fund raising and income-earning opportunity like this.
There is no cost to the member, supporter or consumer. Green energy from wind power is available.
You’ll earn continuous fundraising revenue simply by helping your families, friends, neighbors and community leaders save money on a service everyone needs and everyone uses—electricity!
Re-energize your fundraising efforts. Make a positive win win difference in your community or group.
Electricity is ten times better than candy bars and popcorn, wrapping paper and coupon booklets, magazines, “free” car washes and everything else combined!
Ambit Energy makes it easy to sell discounted electricity through your organization. Your organization receives a personalized Website to help your customers enroll themselves quickly and easily online.
Your organization also receive access to an online package of presentation and marketing materials. All of the materials are free, once you sign up. There is no monthly cost or renewal cost.
Ambit supplies the electricity, customers save while paying their utility bills and your organization starts receiving ongoing revenue, month after month after month..
Join Ambit group above to stay in touch and keep informed of latest developments.
*See specific flyers for each states energy use and contribution rates. This amount may change without notice and may differ in your state. Only NY, TX and IL are open for this program currently, but 22 more states are in process of deregulating, and will be part of this program soon. Pass this information to groups or individuals you may know in these states.
The breaking news is that Iran is reported to be enriching uranium and that the U.S. government is displeased with the direction that Iran is moving in. At this time of impending crisis, we call upon all Department of Peace supporters to contact your representatives and senators in Congress and the White House with the following message:
1. We know that going to war will only make things worse and that violence will not resolve the conflict.
2. Therefore, I do not support violence as an approach to resolving this conflict with Iran.
3. What I do support is for the United States to work in cooperation and partnership with the international community to utilize existing conflict transformation and peacebuilding tools and processes to resolve this conflict.
4. Further, I urge you, as my representative, to support legislation currently in the House and Senate (H.R. 3760 and S. 1756) for a U.S. Department of Peace, which will employ, in a systematic way and as a matter of course, the range of proven conflict transformation and peacebuilding tools that are already available to us in the resolution of future such conflicts.
Click Here to send a message to your elected officials:
A new study suggests that
retirement can lead to a
decline” in health
over the medium and long
term. Is this research
sound, and what
conclusions can we draw?
The “Work Longer,
study, conducted by the
Description: Grows up to
10 feet with wide hairy
leaves that grow to 12
inches in width.Large
flowers in summer white
and pink in the wild and
purple, red or yellow in
Uses: Use fresh flowers
and leaves as a diuretic
and to help with...