Jul 14, 2011
Please note news at;
GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Greens: Obama has joined the GOP war against working people with his announced intention to roll back Social Security and Medicare
• Agreement with Republicans would gut key protections for Americans, push retirement savings in the Wall Street casino, and will mean "work till you die" for many working people; it's time for the 'Green New Deal' and a voters' revolt against both parties, say Green Party leaders
• Green Party Speakers Bureau: Greens available to speak on economic justice,
budget policy, and sustainability
• Green Party's 2011 Annual National Meeting / New York Green Fest, Aug. 5-7
in Alfred, New York http://nygreenfest.org
WASHINGTON, DC -- Green Party leaders warned that President Obama and Democratic leaders will betray the American people if they agree with Republicans to cut Social Security and Medicare, and demanded that such cuts be taken off the table.
The Green Party has challenged bipartisan claims that the deficit, rather than the recession and job crisis, is the major economic problem facing the US. Green candidates and leaders have promoted a 'Green New Deal' with an array of positive solutions for the economy and employment
• Holly Hart, secretary of the Green Party of the United States: "There are ways other than cutting Social Security and Medicare to end the federal deficit -- ending the three wars, sharply reducing the military budget,
raising taxes on the wealthy. A modest raise in the contribution cap for the highest income brackets would keep Social Security solvent. Social Security and Medicare are accounts separate from the federal budget -- they play no part in the deficit crisis. But President Obama, compromising with congressional Republicans and fulfilling his own ambition to 'restructure entitlements', has signaled his willingness to roll back the protections that his party passed in the 1930s and 1960s to give working Americans their
financial security and prosperity since the mid 20th century, saving millions of people from financial destitution. The President's deal, which we can
count on Democratic leaders in Congress to support, may compel people to gamble their retirement savings in the Wall Street casino. And pushing back the eligibility age will be a 'work till you die' sentence for many Americans, including Black people, the poor, and others with
statistically shorter life spans."
• Jason Nabewaniec, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States: "It's time for a voters' revolt against both Democrats and Republicans. President Obama's compromise shows he has joined the GOP war against working people. There is no longer any reason to make excuses for Mr. Obama and his fellow Democrats. There is no reason to vote for 'the lesser of two evils' if the
lesser evil is so willing to cooperate with the greater evil against the rest
Two-party politics is more than a flaw in our democracy. It's a disaster that can only be solved by removing Democrats and Republicans from office and replacing them with Green candidates. Greens accept no corporate money and are committed to maintaining and strengthening Social Security, and to expanding Medicare to cover everyone. Mr. Obama's likely Social-Security/Medicare deal with the GOP is proof that the Green Party is an imperative for the 21st century. If the deal is accepted, it will be time for people to gather in protest in Washington, DC, and throughout the US just as people protested in Wisconsin when Gov. Walker
threatened public sector workers and union organizing rights."
• Farheen Hakeem, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States: "It's no longer accurate to say we have two parties running the country. We have a
single party with an extremist wing called the Republican Party and a slightly less extremist wing called the Democratic Party, both of which have made
service to Wall Street and other powerful corporate elites their top priority. Most Americans don't want to see Social Security or Medicare reduced -- but most Americans don't contribute huge campaign checks. Unlike corporations, thanks to the Supreme Court's 'Citizens' United' decision, most Americans don't run endless campaign ads."
• Howie Hawkins, Green candidate for Common Councillor of Syracuse, New York
and 2010 Green candidate for Governor of New York: "If MoveOn.org and environmental activist Van Jones believe that America's future should be in
the hands of Democrats, they're as deluded as Tea Partiers who want a Republican future. President Obama's planned raid on Social Security and
Medicare tops off the list of capitulations and betrayals since taking office: escalation of the Afghanistan War and air assaults on Pakistan; a third war, on Libya, in violation of the War Powers Act; continued warrantless
wiretapping of US citizens, harassment of whistleblowers, and other legal abuses; plans to build more nuclear power plants, with taxpayers' money, even
in the wake of the Fukushima disaster in Japan; plans for more offshore oil drilling despite the BP disaster; a health care reform bill designed mainly to enrich insurance companies, with mandates to purchase private
coverage and no reductions in medical costs; embrace of the myth of 'clean coal' and no interference in destructive, poisonous mountaintop removal
mining... The list goes on and on, even surpassing President Clinton's fulfillment of GOP agenda."
• George Carlin, nonpartisan comedian and social critic (1937-2008): "The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out."
Green Party of the United States http://www.gp.org
• Green candidate database and campaign information:
• News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
• Speakers Bureau http://www.gp.org/speakers
• Ballot Access Page http://www.gp.org/ballotstatus
• Livestream Channel http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus
• Video Page http://www.gp.org/video/index.php
Green Party's 2011 Annual National Meeting / New York Green Fest
• Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-York-Green-Fest/71141014224
• Alfred University http://www.alfred.edu
• Green Party of New York State http://www.web.gpnys.com
• Directions http://nygreenfest.org/directions.html
• Green Party Annual National Meeting Committee
"Trumka: Social Security Cuts Should Not Be on the Table"
AFL-CIO Blog, July 7, 2011
"Breaking Point: Obama and the Death of the Democratic Party"
By Jane Hamsher, FireDogLake, July 8, 2011
GreenStream Live: News and discussion on the Green Party's Livestream channel
Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of the
United States (Fall 2010 issue now online)
~ END ~
Green Party of California Updates mailing list
Jul 14, 2011 7:19pm
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.
1, 1 child
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
, Thieves more
|SHARES FROM GOOD'S NETWORK
\\nZEN was suspended by
Eric with no warning. We
don\\\'t know any reasons
nor how long it will
about it on the forum but
my post was immediately
deleted. 2 threads and
petitions about Zen also.
And 2 her help-groups.
s 32nd Annual Peace Fair
and Music Festival2014
JusticeThis FREE event is
gathering of Peace,
with Live Music, Tables,
\\n\\r\\nHello my C2
Family, \\r\\nFirst let
me say Thank You to those
of you who have so
sweetly fwd my posts. You
are SO AWESOME!! I will
never forget your help.
Anytime I can repay the
favour, please tell me.
Second, my Submit button
has disappeared lea...
My little Valentine,
Lily, loves taking
pictures. She said
\\\"Mom, let\\\'s do a
Valentines photo shoot,
so I can send the pics as
cards to our friends\\\"
lol. I can\\\'t
believe she\\\'s 5 yrs
old! Looking back at my
1st album of her:
\\\"Lilyanna Jane, ...
\\n \\r\\nIn recognition
of the environmental
benefits of a plant-based
diet, the Sierra
pleased to announce
a week long
National Park, Calif...
is telling myself the
truth. And honesty is
telling the truth to
ago, when I was in high
school chemistry lab, I
was assigned to do a
New Petition! Speak out
Merger with Comcast! Let
your opinion be know
before your bill goes up
and your programming
DOJ and FCC to Not Allow
Merger of Time-Warner and
\\nThis is Venus
Marquez\\\'s friend, Gina
Arellano. Venus is a
friend of my daughter
Nikka. She seems to
be covered in
rashes/sores due to
possibly chickenpox and
needs to raise at least
200 Euros - about $275 US
- to cover medical