The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) issued a groundbreaking intelligence report [PDF] Friday October 7 looking at two of the most powerful and influential anti-gay lobbyists. It calls the Family Research Council (FRC) and the American Family Association (AFA) the “chief purveyors of lies about LGBT people.”
The SPLC says:
The FRC has claimed that gay activists “work to normalize sex with boys,” seek to “abolish all age of consent laws and to eventually recognize pedophiles as the ‘prophets’ of a new sexual order,” and support anti-bullying programs solely in order to promote homosexuality.
The AFA has declared that “homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler … the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews,” suggested that gay sex be punished like heroin use, and said that the “homosexual agenda” endangers “every fundamental right” in the Constitution, including religious freedom.
Both groups have enthusiastically promoted “reparative therapy,” which claims against the bulk of the evidence that it can “cure” gay men and lesbians and make them heterosexual, but in fact has left a string of people behind who were badly hurt by the process.
Mark Potok, director of the SPLC’s Intelligence Project, which compiles statistics and information on hate groups operating in the United States, told LGBTQ Nation that those Republican politicians “who know that the claims made by FRC and AFA are false, but who take no action, make these outrageous lies seem legitimate.”
Potok also pointed the finger at the media for legitimizing the groups, saying that they “have refused to point out those lies,” which consequently “validates their outlandish claims and falsehoods.”
In 2010, SPLC formally categorized both the FRC and AFA as “hate groups.”
This led to a massive reaction where the group’s supporters claimed this was because of their ‘Christian’ beliefs and values.
Potok told LGBTQ Nation:
This is not because they oppose same-sex marriage, or because they believe the Bible describes homosexuality as a sin. It is because FRC and AFA continue to spread provably false propaganda to demonize members of the LGBT community.
SPLC says that there is a link between bullying and anti-gay violence and the falsehoods spread by the FRC and AFA.
The SPLC report breaks down the ten most egregious myths that FRC and AFA utilize to demonize LGBT people.
1. Gay men molest children at far higher rates than heterosexuals.
2. Same-sex parents harm children.
3. People become gay because they were sexually abused as children or there was a deficiency in sex role modeling by their parents.
4. Gay men and lesbians don’t live nearly as long as heterosexuals.
5. Gay men controlled the Nazi Party and helped to orchestrate the Holocaust.
6. Hate crime laws will lead to the jailing of pastors who criticize homosexuality and the legalization of practices like bestiality and necrophilia.
7. Allowing gay people to serve openly will damage the armed forces.
8. Gay people are more prone to be mentally ill and to abuse drugs and alcohol.
9. No one is born gay.
10. Gay people can choose to leave homosexuality.
Photo credit: TalkMediaNews
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.