Earlier this month, I wrote a post about an extremely offensive Facebook group – “Killing Your Hooker So You Don’t Have to Pay For Her.” I was shocked (as many of you were) that such a group was ever allowed to exist on Facebook and, as it turns out, the offending group’s page was taken down before I even finished writing the post, but this time that’s not the case.
You mean you found another highly offensive, unacceptable, unamusing Facebook group that pokes fun at violence against women?
Yes, unfortunately, but not altogether surprisingly, I did.
“Reasons When It’s Acceptable to Punch a Woman in the Face” is the newest offending group. The group justifies itself by claiming that it’s meant to be taken as “dark humour” similar to Family Guy, South Park, and Scary Movie.
The group’s creator actually says, “I don’t feel I’m promoting violence nor am I condoning it, it’s just dark humour… it’s a joke.”
Well, let’s take a look at the list and see what’s so funny.
Trigger Warning: Some of the items on this list are extremely offensive and may be upsetting.
1. talking too much
2. disagreeing with anything you say
3. burning your food
4. not washing up
5. being on her period
6. being on her period and still coming to see you
7. talking bout other guys….even her dad
8. taking off her make up
9. leaving the kitchen
10. leaving the bedroom
11. refusing a threesome
12. telling you to stop pushing their head down… when
they give you head
13. not knowing the offside rule
14. not knowing the offside rule after being told too many
15.not allowing you to have sex with their mum/sister
16. killing banter
17. out drinking you
18. making stupid baby noises
19. being on either team Jacob or team Edward
20. refusing anal
22. when your football team looses
23. wanting attention during a cod session
24. asking you to make her a cup of tea
25. thinking their in control of the relationship
26. when ur angry and need something to hit
27. when you wanna try out your new kung fu move
28. wearing clothes indoors
29. asking you to go down on her
30. when they fish for compliments
31. when they make you watch chick flicks
32. expecting to get paid for
33. trying to help make this list (foook u becky)
34. having an opinion
35. crying for no fucking reason
36. weighing more than you do
37. calling you a woman/pussy
38. giving you a stupid nickname
39. forgetting to shave
40. not swallowing
41.having a 4 finger bucket
42. taking more than 20 minutes deciding what to wear
43. being taller than you
44. bitching about people you dont even know
45. looking at you funny
46. complaining that she’s cold…. wear a hoodie bitch
47. being a feminist
48. asking you to finish her off once ur finished..
49. calling the police when you hit her…bitch should learn
50. for being a woman..
51. saying they love you
52. when she is in range
53. When she reads this and wont have sex with you for
54. When she asks to be and admin
55. bitching about facebook groups…. get back in the
56. when you got 99 problems but a bitch ain’t 1
57. Whenever she talks without being questioned
58. when she sends you a friend request…. i don’t want to be your friend, but you can go make me a sandwich
ONLY REASON TO NOT HIT A WOMAN IN THE FACE…
1. when she’s pregnant…..punch her in the stomach
I’ve read this list a few times and each time I get angrier and angrier. This is not humorous or funny no matter which way you slice it. This list basically calls on women to be mindless sex machines, with perfect bodies, who don’t speak or think but only live to pleasure men.
The creators of this group think what they are doing is OK because it’s only meant as a joke and I know some people – there are currently over 31,000 members – will think it’s “only meant to be funny” but I have to ask where this humor comes from.
The items on this list show a deep disrespect for women and trivialize a problem that is very real. The fact is that many women suffer the heavy hand of abuse from men who don’t respect them and think they deserve to be hit for any number of reasons. Fortunately, most men have the privilege of never knowing this reality. That ignorance doesn’t give them free reign to make fun of those who aren’t so lucky.
I truly don’t understand how this group can be construed as funny or not condoning violence against women as the creators claim. Creating a group that makes fun of women being abused isn’t funny – it’s hurtful, unjust, and frankly, unoriginal.
Making jokes about violence against women is not new. We see it all the time, especially in the very shows, like Family Guy, that the creators claim they are attempting to emulate. We need to be more vocal about opposing this misuse of humor and demanding more from the networks, shows, and websites we support.
Facebook is a huge social networking platform with over 400 million users worldwide as young as 13-years-old. We deserve better from Facebook – much better.
The group’s creators have promised to continue adding items to the list, even asking people to submit their own reasons it’s acceptable to punch a woman in the face so make sure you sign on to Facebook and report them (there is a “report group” link on the left hand side of the screen under links)! It’s about time this group got the boot!
Photo by Noel Feans used under a Creative Commons license.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.