Miraculously, no one was killed in the fire, and the cat walked away unharmed. In total, three adult residents and a fire battalion chief were injured; a dog was not so lucky and perished in the fire.
The fire happened at the Sonoma Shadows Apartments, whose residents learned quickly that fireworks do not equal fun.
Although early in the investigation, firefighters said the evidence is leading them to believe the fire started on the outside of one of the buildings. The fire burned quickly, engulfing and destroying two buildings where about 50 people lived.
“It serves as a costly reminder to us of just how dangerous fireworks can be,” said Chief Bertral Washington of the Clark County Fire Department.
Lateasa Rodgers watched in disbelief as flames took everything she owned burned to ashes.
“I can’t even think,” she said, crying. “That feeling you get, when you’re so destroyed inside, it hurts.”
She said her family was already struggling economically.
“This is devastating,” she said.
In the midst of this raging fire, KLAS-TV captured a video of a grey and white cat suddenly leaping up from a balcony.
The cat looks frantically around – to the side, to the roof, to the ground below – and is unsure where to go. The roof appears too high to scale, and would likely be too hot. After looking around for several moments to determine the best escape route, the cat places its front paws over the wooden railing to leap to the ground, two stories below.
Those recording the feat are yelling, encouraging the cat to jump to safety. ‘Jump, baby, jump!’ one man yells hoarsely.
With one powerful leap, the cat kicks out from the balcony and flails before falling to the ground below.
According to KLAS-TV, the cat was unhurt.
Wow! This brave kitty must have used up at least one life in his daring jump!
Photo Credit: screenshot from KLAS-TV video
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.