As the massive storm heads towards the Eastern Seaboard of the US, Care2 is wishing all of you east coasters a safe weekend! For information and ideas about how to prepare your family for the the hurricane, check out these resources:
- The New York Times has important news for New Yorkers about how to ride the storm. Check out details about which transportation methods will be available during the hurricane, including public transit, taxis, bridge access, airports and more.
- To track the progress of the storm, the Atlantic brings you an informative guide, complete with interactive maps.
- Visit the American Red Cross for details about how to protect your family and your home. Also, send a donation to the Red Cross to ensure that emergency shelters are well-stocked and evacuees are well-fed.
- For those in the DC area, check out the Washington Post’s list of emergency numbers and services.
- Make sure your pets are safe through the hurricane! The ASPCA has information about how to care for your pets during the storm.
- The Huffington Post also has more information about how to protect your animals, including a guide to hotels that are pet friendly.
Stay safe this weekend, and check back here for more information as Hurricane Irene progresses.
Photo from NASA