They’re not all villains, but do you have a favorite member of the “ONE percent” who’s using his/her money to harm or disempower the rest of us– the other 99 percent? Have you wondered just who the others are?
Name your favorite one-percenter and Robert Greenwald and Brave New Foundation will count the votes for each nominee and investigate the “winners.” Here’s how it will work:
The Foundation offers some interesting facts. We know most of them, but they are even more powerful when they are all in one place.
- In just the last generation, the richest 1% almost quadrupled their incomes.
- The average wealth of the 1% is 225 times bigger than the wealth of the typical household — the highest it’s ever been.
- Three decades ago, CEOs made about 40 times as much as an average worker — now CEOs make almost 200 times as much as regular employees.
- Last year, half of Americans earned less than $26,000 while CEOs at top 500 companies raked in an average of $11 million.
- Over the past decade, earnings for middle-class Americans actually fell. In fact, working Americans’ wages are now a lower percentage of our economy than they’ve ever been.
- The divide between the richest and the poorest is worse in America than it is in nearly all of Europe and Asia and much of Africa. It’s about as bad as in Rwanda and Serbia — and it’s bad for our economy.
The 1% is not an accident — it is the result of policies our government chose to pursue.
Oh — and before you go cast your vote — add your nominee to the comments so we all know who they are!
Photo from screenshot: Who Are the 1 Percent?