Health Care Reform 101: What You Get.
Did you know that you and your family could choose the exact same health care coverage that members of Congress get?
Or that preventive care– like getting an annual physical, mammogram or colonoscopy – will not cost you a dime out of pocket.
And no matter your age, a pre-existing condition or your family history, you can’t be denied insurance coverage.
Why don’t opponents want you to get these and other guaranteed benefits?
We think the more you know – and the more your friends and family know – the tougher it will be for our leaders to run from our problems. Here are the key points of health care reform legislation:
- No company can ever deny you health insurance or drop your coverage for a pre-existing condition, or if you get sick.
- If you get cancer or any other serious illness, there is no cap on covered care.
- No threat of losing your life savings, or being thrust into debt, to pay for care. Insurance companies must pay your claims.
- Recommended preventive care will be covered without deductibles – checkups, colonoscopies, mammograms – no matter if you buy your own policy or get coverage through your job.
- Programs to increase the number of primary care doctors, with incentives for them to practice in rural areas, so you get quality care no matter where you live.
- Want the full scoop? Click here.
On Thursday, President Obama will convene a half-day health care summit. We know painfully well that this reform has been stagnating in Congress for TOO LONG! Take action today: Tell lawmakers that you expect health care reform NOW.
*This article is the first in a three part series: Click here for the second article.
Photo courtesy of Listener42 on Flikr.
Written by Susan Herold. Senior Web Editor, Consumers Union.