START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
2,983,495 people care about Environment & Wildlife

Making Products from Recycled Chewing Gum

Making Products from Recycled Chewing Gum

Chewing gum, which does not degrade, thrown down on the ground is a litter problem on both sides of the Atlantic. In the U.K. three and a half billion pieces of gum end up on the streets every year. The British government spends £150million a year to clean gum off streets. The sales of gum in the U.S. are $2 billion a year, and the cost to remove gum is between $2 to $3 per gum piece. However, the difference in the U.K. is that several companies created a way to reduce gum litter by 75 percent while using the recycled gum to create new products.

Enter the founder of the company Gumdrop Ltd. While studying design at Brighton University, Anna Bullus noticed all the used gum on the ground in Brighton’s city center. Bullus told the Guardian she “realized that chewing gum is already a rubber, and rubber can be recycled and made into stuff, so why not gum.”

Bullus then spent eight months in a lab finding a way to recycle gum by extracting a polymer from the used gum she named BGRP (Bullus Recycled Gum Polymer). She made pink bins from the recycled gum which people can put their used gum in. The bright pink bins are called Gumdrop bins.

According to the company’s brochure, if 10 percent of U.K.’s discarded gum pieces are put into Gumdrop bins one million more bins could be made to collect the other 90 percent.

Clean Technica reports that Gumdrop had a trial in the U.S. in the spring at an amusement park.

The British company, Gummy Bin Ltd. created gum recycling bins called Gummy Bins which have a reusable cartridge that can hold either 250 or 500 pieces of gum. The company creates products, including toys, from the recycled gum. In 2007, the company chose California-based Recycle Media Corp. to be its first international distributor in a five year deal worth an estimated $26.6 million.

“Our chewing gum disposal and recycling system has had impressive results in the UK in 2006, showing an average reduction of 75% or more in chewing gum deposits in the vicinity of the gummy bins,” said Nigel Bill, Head of Sales at Gummy Bins.

Read more: , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it


+ add your own
8:45AM PST on Jan 23, 2014

Thanks! Neat Idea!

10:54PM PST on Nov 10, 2013


5:33PM PDT on Jul 15, 2013

Thank you for the fascinating post.

12:11PM PST on Jan 22, 2012


4:22PM PDT on Sep 4, 2011

Interesting idea - I just hope the recycled gum bins have hand-sanitizer dispensers on the side of them! ;)

11:04PM PDT on Sep 16, 2010


5:07PM PDT on Sep 16, 2010


11:26AM PDT on Sep 16, 2010


6:44PM PDT on Sep 15, 2010

wow this is the simplest idea, yet it will do so much good for the environment(:

4:51PM PDT on Sep 15, 2010

Sweet idea! Any new method of recycling anything should be welcomed as a contribution in saving our planet. The cost to clean up discarded gum is astounding! Every Wal-Mart should have one of these gum recycling bins, by law if necessary.

add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

Care2 - Be Extraordinary - Start a Care2 Petition
ads keep care2 free

Recent Comments from Causes

Well it may be true that the people are impoverished and need to fish the waters to feed themselves,…

I was hoping to be lost as sea because I am so frugal and environmentally conscious but this sounds lovely…

I have bought them on occasion when they were 10/$1. I probably have 15-20 in my pantry.Will I throw…

meet our writers

Steve Williams Steve Williams is a passionate supporter of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) rights, human... more
ads keep care2 free

Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.