There are few people who really change the world for the better, but there is one person who shows us all that it is possible and that it can really start with just one person.
Enter playwright and activist Eve Ensler, author of “The Vagina Monologues” and V-Day Founder and Executive Director.
If you’ve never heard of Ensler before you will thank me. The passion, love, dedication, and unwavering drive with which she fights for a world free from violence is infectious, admirable, and awe-inspiring. For myself and thousands, if not millions, of other women she is my hero.
Her latest post, “Over It,” on the Huffington Post is just one example of what a powerful and amazing woman she is.
Here are some highlights from her empowering piece that reflect what we too at Care2 are over:
- I am over people not understanding that rape is not a joke and I am over being told I don’t have a sense of humor, and women don’t have a sense of humor
- I am over Facebook taking weeks to take down rape pages.
- I am over the hundreds of thousands of women in Congo still waiting for the rapes to end and the rapists to be held accountable.
- I am over the 207 clinics in Ecuador supported by the government that are capturing, raping, and torturing lesbians to make them straight.
- I am over one in three women in the U.S military (Happy Veterans Day!) getting raped by their so-called “comrades.”
- I am over the forces that deny women who have been raped the right to have an abortion.
- I am over the fact that after four women came forward with allegations that Herman Cain groped them and grabbed them and humiliated them, he is still running for the President of the United States.
- Which reminds me, I am so over the students at Penn State who protested the justice system instead of the alleged rapist pedophile of at least 8 boys, or his boss Joe Paterno, who did nothing to protect those children after knowing what was happening to them.
and I am over women getting raped at Occupy Wall Street and being quiet about it because they were protecting a movement which is fighting to end the pillaging and raping of the economy and the earth, as if the rape of their bodies was something separate.
For the full version of Ensler’s post click here.
It’s truly inspiring and I’ve got to say that I’m over it too!
Related from Care2:
Ultimate Fighter Jokes About Rape on Twitter
Turkish Outrage: Supreme Court Says 13-Year-Old Girl “Consented” to Rape
First Sexually Assaulted, Now Forced to Pay Alimony to Ex
Photo by juliejordanscott used under a Creative Commons license.