START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
2,575,111 people care about Environment & Wildlife

Rat Poison Sets Off a Toxic Chain of Events That Kills Owls

Rat Poison Sets Off a Toxic Chain of Events That Kills Owls

Owls, hawks and other birds of prey who eat poisoned rats can themselves be poisoned and die. This finding, reported by John Elliott, an ecotoxicologist at Environment Canada, is leading both the Canadian and U.S. governments to restrict the use of rat poisons based on blood thinners and to urge the public to be a lot more careful when using these toxic substances.

Pesticides such as DDT have long been known to build up in the systems of animals that prey on rats and other such creatures. But similar, lethal effects can also occur from anticoagulant rodenticides (ARs). These function like the human blood-thinning drug warfarin, which is itself used as a rodent poison; they interfere with the blood’s ability to clot.

According to Nature News, environmental toxicologists consider warfarin a “first-generation AR,” which is less toxic than second-generation ones. But from studying 130 dead birds of prey around Vancouver, Elliott says that “virtually” all the owls and a majority of the hawks were found to have residues of at least one second-generation AR in their livers. This discovery led Elliott to state that

From a regulatory point of view [second-generation ARs] are ‘PBT.’ Persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic.

Especially alarming is Elliott’s noting that rat bait is also consumed by insects that the birds eat and, possibly, by the birds themselves. When he put sparrows in a cage with rat bait pellets, the birds went “straight for the bait.”

Fortunately, governments are seeking to address the poisoning of animals other than the intended targets. In Canada, authorities plan to reduce the outdoor use of ARs and to require that, when used outdoors, they be placed in tamper-resistant bait stations or in locations that owls and other non-target wildlife cannot access.

In the U.S., the Environmental Protection Agency is actually thinking of banning all second-generation ARs from the consumer market. The caveat is, such a policy may have limited benefits. Most of the rodenticides of concern are used by professional pest control operators who tend to leave the rat poison outside and for extended periods of time. In place of ARs, a “more portent” neurotoxin, bromethalin, is coming into use but there are significant dangers with it for children and pets as this drug has no antidote whereas ARs can be treated using vitamin K.

It goes without saying that leaving toxic substances outdoors is likely to have detrimental effects on wildlife. Far better to have pest-control operators use ARs far more sparingly and even to ban permanent bait stations, says Anne Fairbrother, the director of ecosciences at a science and engineering consultancy, Exponent. As long as there are powerful poisons sitting outside, it is inevitable that wild animals may encounter and consume them, with disastrous consequences.

Even more, the public needs to know that ARs can build up in other animals even if they have not actually eaten the poisons themselves. Elliot’s findings about the owls and hawks in Vancouver is a powerful reminder, and even a warning, that the chemicals — the toxins — we use can be dangerous whether or not an animal actually encounters them or not. Once such potent substances are in the environment, and into the food chain, there is no telling how far their effects might reach.

 

Related Care 2 Coverage

Central Park’s Chemical Killer

Toxic Pesticide Pulled From US Market

Are Pesticides the Reason So Many Bees Are Dying?

 

Read more: , , , , ,

Photo by mybulldog

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it

172 comments

+ add your own
8:38AM PDT on May 30, 2013

Noted!

9:03PM PST on Feb 10, 2013

It's amazing how often we don't THINK of the ramifications of our actions.

4:59PM PST on Dec 13, 2012

Some people just do not realize how delicate and fragile nature´s balance is. Hope they do understand it sooner rather than later.

10:01AM PST on Dec 10, 2012

Using these poisons is harmful to everyone, not just rats. It's a horrible way to die, even for a rat. I would not wish that on any of God's creatures {except for animal abusers....they can ingest all the rat poison in the world.....}.

I'm sorry, Holly, that your kitty died of rat poison. This stuff needs to be outlawed. I believe there are more humane ways of dealing with other species.....poison is not the answer.

10:17AM PST on Dec 8, 2012

very sad news but thanks for sharing

5:27PM PST on Nov 29, 2012

Thanks

3:04AM PST on Nov 29, 2012

Thanks..!!

3:03AM PST on Nov 29, 2012

Thanks..!!

7:48PM PST on Nov 28, 2012

thanks for the info

7:58AM PST on Nov 28, 2012

disconcerning and upsetting. this must be nipped in the bud NOW. we need our owls and this is very much a neglectful state of affairs from the govet.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

ads keep care2 free

Recent Comments from Causes

I prefer to cook my own organic food, at least that way I really know what is in it and where it really…

Shocking.! There's a deliberately sensational, and untrue headline and half the commentators think the…

Publicity stunt or not, it needs to be addressed Same with domestic violence committed against men…

meet our writers

Kristina Chew Kristina Chew teaches and writes about ancient Greek and Latin and is Online Advocacy and Marketing... more
Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!
ads keep care2 free



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.