Blog Series: Sustainable Transportation Solutions
It is now clear that carbon mitigation policies will fail to prevent climate change unless deep emission reductions are achieved in the existing transportation matrix. Furthermore, oil price volatility in the past decade has reignited public and political concerns over energy security, particularly associated with transportation fuel supplies.
Consequently, the development of sustainable — in the ample sense of the word — transportation solutions has become one of the core concerns in climate change and energy security policy debates.
Alas, no silver bullet solution offers a universal alternative to the prevailing petroleum-derived fuels. This blog series will present and evaluate a portfolio of concrete solutions which could address society’s petroleum addiction in the road transportation market.
Each post will examine how a unique solution — be it technological, political, or business — can be used to address key obstacles to sustainable transport. To help the returning reader, all the posts will keep to the same basic argument framework: present the obstacle, present the solution, anticipate criticisms and elaborate implementation process.
It is important to emphasize that the solutions presented in this blog are economically competitive and do not impose a change in consumer behaviors. The list below provides a preview of the solutions which will be evaluated in this blog series.
- Electric Fleet: Converting fleet vehicles to electric power
- Retrofitting: Remarketing trash
- Bio-tax: How trade barriers in the EU and USA have prevented biofuels adoption
- Car sharing: Increasing vehicle utilisation rates
- Sustainable hybridisation: Coupling biofuels with hybrid electric vehicles could provide a long-term solutions
- Low-fat Diet: How lightweight materials can improve fuel economy
- Urban eco-vehicles: A rational second car alternative
- Trolley-bus: Rail energy efficiency with road flexibility
It is worth highlighting that the above is not an exhaustive list. New solutions are being developed and proposed every day for mitigating gasoline consumption and vehicle emissions. Indeed, the blog series will expand in parallel with technological development. As such, the reader is encouraged to propose alternative solutions to be incorporated to the list of topics.
You all are also encouraged to sign up to the Care2 mailing list, which will provide regular updates to the discussion.
photo credit: thanks to Icemanfr75 via flickr