The Time to Donate Life is Now
When you read about organ donation, two facts jump out at you right away:
- one organ donor can save up to eight lives
- 18-20 people in the U.S. die each day waiting for an organ
That’s powerful incentive to donate. April is Donate Life Month. If you haven’t already registered to be a donor, why not do it now?
Who can register to donate?
People of all ages can register to donate. Those under age 18 must have a parent’s or guardian’s consent.
More than 94 million people in the U.S. are 50 years of age and over. If the majority of people in this age group signed up to be organ donors, many more lives would be saved.
Does it cost me anything to be an organ donor?
No. There is no cost to donors or their families.
I have a health condition… can I still register to be an organ donor?
People with certain medical conditions, like HIV, active infections, or active cancer would be ruled out as donors for all or some organs but, in general, you do not have to be in perfect health. Organs are evaluated at the time of death to determine which organs and/or tissues can be safely donated.
How do I sign up?
It’s easy and doesn’t take long. Visit OrganDonor.gov, choose your state, and follow the instructions. Carry a donor card in your wallet, and be sure to tell family members of your decision so there is no confusion upon your death. In many states, you can make the designation on your driver’s license.
Did you know…
- Organ donors can be deceased or living.
- Deceased donors can provide six types of organs: kidney, pancreas, liver, lungs, heart and intestines.
- Deceased donors also can provide tissues (such as bones, skin, heart valves and veins) and corneas.
- Living donors can provide a kidney or a portion of the liver, lung or intestine and in some instances, eyes and tissues.
If you’ve been considering becoming an organ donor and just haven’t gotten around to it yet, why wait? Please take the time to Donate Life now.
Related reading: Lift Ban on HIV Infected Organ Transplants? HIV Patients Want Access