Cold Summer Soups
Just like hot soups, you can make cold soup the star of your supper or serve it as a starter or side dish. These summery soups are so delicious, though, I bet you decide to make them the center of your meal!
1. Vegetarian Borscht – Serious Eats updates this Russian classic. Hurrah for beets! You can omit the sour cream in this recipe to veganize it, if you want.
2. Creamy Avocado Soup – Avocado is a hearty base for any summer soup. If you want to make this recipe vegan, use non-dairy yogurt or homemade cashew cream in place of the yogurt.
3. Chilled Corn and Golden Beet Soup – Roasted beets and fresh corn give this creamy soup a deliciously sweet, earthy flavor.
4. Fresh Spring Pea Soup – A simple soup that can stand on its own or work as a starter. When the weather starts to cool down, you can also serve this hot instead of chilled!
5. Vegan Vichyssoise – This fresh, leek and potato soup is usually full of dairy products but Melissa Breyer gives it a vegan facelift without sacrificing any of the flavor.
A lot of summer soup recipes combine herbs and veggies with seasonal fruit for some surprising flavors. Check out these fruity cold soups on the next page!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Patricia Larenas