10 Natural DIY Beauty Recipes
Want to whip up your own personal care products? Treat yourself right with these DIY beauty recipes using simple ingredients. Store-bought beauty supplies can be bad news. They often contain toxic ingredients, many of which are misleadingly labeled. Check out the Story of Cosmetics video above for a peek into the underbelly of the beauty industry.
Those bottled beauty products contain all kinds of harmful chemicals, from carcinogens and endocrine disruptors to allergens. And to top it off, they usually come bottled in plastic that ends up in the landfill when you’re done with that shampoo or body scrub.
Related Reading: Is BPA free plastic safe?
That’s the bad news. The good news? You can easily make your own beauty products to replace those chemical products you find on the store shelves. Check out these 10 recipes for beauty supplies that you can whip up easily at home with no special equipment!
Next>> Make your own deodorant, scrubs, facial mask, and perfume!
DIY Beauty Recipes
1. DIY Deodorant – Conventional deodorant contains all kinds of icky stuff, like triclosan. Check out this all natural DIY alternative instead!
Related Reading: The Dangers of Triclosan & How to Avoid It
2. Homemade Sugar Scrub – Sugar and salt scrubs are great for exfoliating. This DIY sugar scrub recipe only uses a few ingredients and contains no chemical fragrances.
3. Homemade Face Scrub – Gently exfoliate and pamper your face with a chemical-free homemade facial scrub.
4. Make your own perfume or cologne – Sick of chemical fragrances? It’s easy as pie to make your own perfume or cologne with essential oils instead!
5. DIY Face Mask – Who needs expensive facials when you can make your own face mask using food-based ingredients instead?
Up Next>> More DIY beauty recipes, including a couple of handy videos!
photos by Becky Striepe
DIY Beauty Recipes
6. Tomato Face Scrub – Tomatoes contain natural acids that are great for your face. Check out the video above see how you can use a tomato as an all natural face scrubber.
7. Make your own dry shampoo – Dry shampoo is great for keeping your hair looking clean between washes. Instead of buying expensive dry shampoos in disposable packaging, make your own!
8. DIY Lip Balm – Commercial lip balms often contain petroleum products and hidden animal ingredients. The video above contains a recipe for homemade lip balm that’s a clean as it is delightful.
Related Reading: 10 Unusual Uses for Olive Oil
9.á Homemade Blush – Who needs chemical pigments when you can make your own blush using hibiscus powder?
10. DIY Lipstick – If you prefer lipstick to lip balm, we’ve got you covered! Check out this recipe for making your own, natural lipstick. You can make this a vegan recipe by substituting candelilla wax for beeswax.
Do you have a favorite DIY beauty recipe? Share yours in the comments!