We watch calories and try to eat the ‘right’ foods, but often neglect to think about how much of those good things are actually going where they should. That is, are the nutrients we need really being absorbed into and utilized by the body? Are there simple ways in which we can help them reach cell level? The answer is a resounding YES. I found some helpful tips on how to increase the bioavailability of vitamins and minerals dramatically:
1. Get more iron from your veggies. Eating your vegetables with Vitamin C greatly increases the absorption of iron, studies show.
2. If you are taking an iron supplement, wash it down with a glass of orange juice for better absorption.
3. Taking calcium supplements too? Don’t take them at the same time as your iron pills, because they can block each other’s absorption.
4. The lower your salt intake, the better your body’s ability to absorb calcium.
5. Taking a calcium supplement? Pair it with Vitamin D. Together, they boost calcium absorption.
Next: 5 more important tips
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.