Do green smoothies really taste good?
I hear that question and see that look on people’s faces all the time when I talk about green smoothies. But everyone I serve a green smoothie to is surprised at how good this green liquid tastes—and they want more.
It really is a great way to begin your day: with a 100% raw alkaline meal filled with powerfoods. Plus, they are very yummy because they are filled with the fruit you love.
I first learned of the raw movement and green smoothies from Victoria Boutenko of the ‘Raw Family.’ She is truly the ‘Queen of Green Smoothies.’ She invented green smoothies after much research in the library and her kitchen. She was searching for better health for her sick family, and now the whole family is very healthy.
Between You and Me: I do not eat anywhere near 100% raw foods. My diet is 40–70% raw, depending on the season.
Despite being green, which sometimes scares people, green smoothies are actually very tasty and very good for us. They are filled with healthy greens such as spinach and yummy fruits like raspberries and mangoes.
10 Good Reasons to Include Green Smoothies in Your Diet:
1. 100% alkaline: Greens are the highest alkaline-forming foods.
2. Very easy to digest: For many, as it was for me, eating raw food can be challenging for the digestive system.
3. Highly nutritious: The greens are full of vitamins A, K, D, and E, which are all fat-soluble. Vitamin K helps calcium and phosphorus bind onto the bone protein matrix. (Here is a description of one of the most common greens people use and one we recommend because it doesn’t have a bitter taste: Power up Your Day Like Popeye!)
4. Eating more live foods: you consume more fresh fruit and greens.
5. Filled with lots of fiber, which we know we need for elimination. Freshly made vegetable juice is easy to digest but lacks fiber. (Filled with Smart Carbs not Dumb Carbs.)
6. You will get more of the nutrients in a well-blended green smoothie. Most of the cells in the greens and fruits are broken down; they actually begin to be digested in your mouth.
7. Simple and quick to make and they actually taste good because they have lots of sweet fruit in them.
8. Greens help widen our blood vessels, helping the blood flow, inhibiting the development of blockages, and destroying inflammation because they are full of a gas called nitric oxide.
9. Greens are full of chlorophyll, which purifies the blood, prevents tooth decay, aids in proper digestion, helps detoxify the liver, keeps the thyroid gland in balance, cleanses internal organs, enhances capillary function, supports sex hormones, decontaminates inorganic chemicals, and builds up red blood cell counts, according to Dr. Ann, Dr. Bernard Jensen and G. P. Earp-Thomas of Bloomfield Laboratories. (Read more about how Greens Are Good for Us.)
10. Improved health: Many notice the need to sleep less, as well as better elimination and stronger nails and teeth. Smoothies have made such a big difference in my life that we provide Weekend Web Bootcamps with smoothies in mind.
Next page: How to make green smoothies taste great, plus food-combining concerns