10 Simple Ways to Ease Anxiety
When your nerves are stretched like rubber bands and your pulse rate is all awry, don’t panic! Just follow a few of these simple tips and you will soon feel relief.
- Have a cup of chamomile tea. Coffee increases heart rate and can aggravate anxiety.
- Chew on cardamom seeds. This fragrant spice has been used for centuries to treat a variety of physical and emotional ailments. Bonus: it will freshen your breath!
- Seek the soothing goodness of roses. Have rose hip tea, spritz some organic rose water on your face (eyes closed), or have a glass of rose-flavored lassi or shake. The fragrance and the tenderness of this power flower will have you smiling in no time.
- Breathe deeply, for a good five minutes. It’s the single most effective way to calm frayed nerves.
- Phone a friend—and pour it all out. Just listening to a well-loved voice works wonders for the mind and heart.
- Have a bowl of oatmeal. Very comforting, because whole grain releases serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter.
- Surprise: drinking a tall glass of water can ease anxiety. That’s because ‘irrigating’ your system is known to ease stress.
- Don’t reach for a gooey doughnut when you’re nervous or upset. It will only make your blood sugar levels fluctuate and increase cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Walk away from stress. Get out into the open, and you’ll find solace in connecting with nature. The blue sky above, birdsong, or even a stroll along the street help you calm down.
- Try some gentle yoga poses that involve tilting your head down. This increases the flow of blood to your brain, and delivers more oxygen and nutrients to your thyroid. The result: you feel the anxiety melt away.