By Marygrace Stergakos, Eat. Drink. Better.
Vegetarian breakfasts are easy: Greek yogurt sprinkled with granola, scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast…the list goes on forever. While I wouldn’t say that vegan breakfasts, on the other hand, are challenging, its certainly a good opportunity to think outside the box. Unless of course, you don’t mind cereal with soymilk every morning for the rest of eternity. Me? No thanks. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and don’t think I let being vegan get in the way of that. Here are some of my favorite vegan breakfast ideas that are filling, nutritious, and keep me away from the cold cereal.
1. Porridge. My favorite is steel-cut oats cooked with almond milk on the stovetop. I add in a drizzle of flax or coconut oil at the end of cooking for richness, and lots of chopped dates and apricots for sweetness.
2. Sweet potatoes. Yes, baked for an hour in the oven tastes best, but 6 or 7 minutes in the microwave does the trick, too. I like to mash in lots of almond butter for protein, as well as a dash of cinnamon.
3. Scrambled tofu. No, it tastes nothing like eggs, but yes, it is delicious. My favorite recipe, lovingly titled Golden Tofu Scram involves tahini, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds. How does that not sound good?
4. Granola mash-up. Okay, not the best name, but that’s what I call it. I warm up some homemade berry compote, top with a few handfuls of granola, and pour in a little soy or almond milk for creaminess. Then, I stir away! Trust me, its delicious.
5. Breakfast burrito. Wrap beans, guacamole, and leftover stir-fry veggies in a whole wheat tortilla for one commute-friendly breakfast.
Next: More Vegan Breakfast Ideas
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.