3.† Use Less Energy
- Turn off lights, computers, etc, whenever not in use.
- Turn down your thermostat in winter: Just two degrees can save you six percent off heating costs.
- Open your windows in summer and turn off your air conditioner.
4.† Use Less Gas
- Just inflating your tires can save you one to two percent of your gas.
- Driving 62 mph (100 km/h) versus 75 mph (120 km/h) will reduce fuel consumption by 15 percent.
- Donít idle for more than one minute. Anything more than one minute and it would be more efficient to turn off your car, even in winter.
- Being easy on the brakes and accelerator can save you 15 percent.
5.† Use Less Plastic (and More Glass & Wood)
- Use reusable grocery bags. China will save 37 million barrels of oil each year because of their ban on plastic bags.
- Use glass containers for storing your food. Your body will be happier because the chemical in plastics leaches into your food.
6.† Eat Local Whenever Possible
Local food eliminates the high environmental cost of transportation. Itís also fresher!