I am nuts about walnuts. Besides enjoying them raw, I like to pop them into everything from salads to cakes, and the results are always delicious. It is wonderful to know that walnuts are among the most nourishing of nuts. A recent study shows that those who regularly eat nuts live longer!
I have been looking up more ideas on how to include walnuts in your diet, and here are some of the best tips I have gathered.
- Blend bananas and walnuts to make a filling for stuffed French toast.
- Add walnut pesto to a grilled vegetable omelette. You can, of course, serve this pesto over pasta and enjoy it with salad.
- Serve wild mushroom, sweet onion and walnuts on crostini with shaved parmesan. Sounds irresistible!
- The texture of chopped walnuts makes a great addition to crostini or pizza. How about kneading some ground walnuts into pizza or pastry dough?
- Use walnuts, apple pieces and brie cheese to make deliciously delicate tea sandwiches. You can also try them on pizza crust!
- Add toasted walnuts to stir-fried or sautéed vegetables for added crunch, flavor and nutrients.
- Blend walnuts with dates, chilled plain yogurt and cinnamon to make a delicious power smoothie.
- Top a small bowl of ice cream with sliced banana, walnuts and dark chocolate sauce.
- A few walnuts in your soup can stir up creamy heaven. Simply puree a few walnuts with non-fat milk to give your soup the rich, creamy texture you crave.
- Stir very small bits of walnut into Greek yogurt, and add olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs to make a delicious dip for your pita and multigrain crackers.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy walnuts? Do share recipes and ideas.