START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good

Mold from a Roof Leak

Mold from a Roof Leak

We had a leak in our roof, and now I canít seem to get rid of the mold.
Any suggestions?

Iíve shared this problem, and it isnít fun. First, of course, besides
getting the roof fixed, you should consult with a professional to ascertain
what sort of water damage you have behind the ceiling and walls. But,
whatever the case, I have three materials in my arsenal for mold, and using
one of these on the mold you can see will help a lot.

Tea tree oil, an
essential oil found in health food stores, is a broad spectrum fungicide, and
is absolutely fantastic for removing mold and mildew. The problem is that it
has a strong smell that some people donít like, although few are actually
sensitive to it. Put one teaspoon of the tea tree oil and two cups of water
into a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on the mold. Donít rinse. The
smell will dissipate in a few days.

Three percent hydrogen peroxide can be
used for an odorless spray. Place equal parts water and 3 percent hydrogen
peroxide (available in pharmacies) in a spray bottle; donít rinse after
youíve sprayed the mixture on the mold.

The third option is to scrub the area
with a borax and water paste, let set until the borax is dry, and then dust
off the borax.

Read more: Blogs, Ask Annie, , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Annie B. Bond

Annie is a renowned expert in non-toxic and green living. She was named one of the top 20 environmental leaders by Body and Soul Magazine and "the foremost expert on green living." - Body & Soul Magazine, 2009. Learn Annie's latest eco-friendly news on, a website dedicated to healthy and green living.


+ add your own
11:53AM PDT on Oct 13, 2012

While bleach is one of the only things that will reduce the appearance of mold, I've been told it creates some kind of super mold if you use it. I don't know if that's true but there are two other products I've used with great success that both kill the mold and reduce the appearance. Both are a little pricier but smell terrific and are safe to use. One is 100% thyme oil, product name Benefect. I've bought mine at a fire and flood business. It smells like you've been cooking spaghetti sauce all day after you use it. The other is Thieve's Oil which you can get online and is mostly cinnamon and clove oil I think and smells like you've been baking cookies all day. Both work great with minimum hard work and are non-toxic.

9:30AM PDT on Oct 28, 2011


1:33PM PDT on Oct 27, 2011


8:34PM PDT on Jun 17, 2011

Thanks for the article.

8:53AM PDT on Apr 2, 2011

I hope it is right way of blogging what I seen. Useful,colorful and faithful content that’s why I like your posting and research your content. Everyone is getting good information from it as well. I expect more.
Regards Cinema training

11:33PM PDT on Mar 23, 2011

Mold is a very serious issue. Thanks for addressing this. What about leftover mold in the air? What should we do?

akon 2011

3:59AM PDT on Aug 23, 2010

With roof leaks, you have a couple of things you cannot see that can cause problems. The most common is the drywall. Somewhere between the layers of paper, the gypsum interior, and the back of the drywall - the mold can continue to live and prosper. Black mold can penetrate and live in fibers such as rugs, wood such as roof beams and wall supports, underlayment, and even in linolem. Black mold likes the dark and damp. It loves certain types of fibers and starches including some glues like wallpaper glue and some cleaners including TSP.Water Damage

4:07AM PDT on Jul 6, 2010

saved to favorites, Thanks Annie!!

9:44PM PDT on May 13, 2010

Hi Annie. I've had the same roof leak problem as yours. Molds and wet spots across the ceiling have build up. I called several roofing companies and was referred to roofers (NYC) contractor to do expert and professional inspection and repair on my roof.

You really have to fix first the problem on your leaks before you attend to the molds. If you want a DIY procedure, I suggest you use hot water and detergent to remove molds, you may need 1 part water and 4 parts bleach. Chlorine contained in bleach is harmful to the lungs though, so use it in a well-ventilated area.

8:34PM PDT on Sep 11, 2009

Wow, these comments are all over the place in this article......

About mold, don't use the commercial mold products with chlorine, I learned the hard way that chlorine and mold mix and form a toxic vapor that will burn your lungs almost as bad as bleach and ammonia.

Tea tree oil is good, and the idea of peroxide is wonderful. I wonder how much 40 volume peroxide it would take to equal 3 percent......

add your comment

Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Thank you for sharing

Thanks for the advice.

They all look good to me.

Upcycle all you can. Great ideas for all but especially 1st timers. I used cinder blocks & 2x6…

Good Guide.


Select names from your address book   |   Help

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.