We’ve got one last vegetarian cookbook giveaway to end our month-long vegetarian celebration: 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes by Sue Spitler with Linda R. Yoakam. With 1,001 recipes, you could spend years working your way through this cookbook without ever getting bored. Many of the recipes take less than 45 minutes and they all include handy icons to differentiate vegan recipes from lacto- or ovo-vegetarian recipes. Check out three sample recipes from the book: Mushroom Bruschetta, Vegetables Paprikash, and Frosted Sugar Cookies. Leave a comment below for your chance to win a copy of the book!
6 servings (2 each)
Use any desired wild mushrooms and make this filling up to 2 days in advance. Heat briefly before assembling and broiling the bruschetta.
- 1/4 cup each: chopped red, yellow bell pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped wild mushrooms (portobello, shiitake, oyster, enoki, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
- Few drops balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bruschetta (see below)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Saute bell peppers, onions, and garlic 2 to 3 minutes in lightly greased skillet. Add mushrooms and cook, covered, over medium heat until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in herbs and cook until mushrooms are tender and all liquid is gone, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese; season to taste with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
2. Spoon mushroom mixture on Bruschetta and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; broil 6 inches from heat source until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Per Serving: Calories: 184; % of calories from fat: 17; Fat (gm): 3.4; Saturated fat (gm): 1.3; Cholesterol (mg): 5.1; Sodium (mg): 388; Protein (gm): 8.8; Carbohydrate (gm): 29.5
12 servings (2 each)
These simple-to-make Italian garlic toasts are perfect for serving with any kind of savory appetizer spread.
1 loaf French bread (8 ounces, about 15 inches long)
Olive oil cooking spray
2 cloves garlic, cut into halves
1. Cut bread into 24 slices; spray both sides of bread lightly with cooking spray. Broil on cookie sheet 4 inches from heat source until browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Rub top sides of bread slices with cut sides of garlic.
NOTE: If desired, bread slices can be sprinkled with herbs, such as basil, oregano, or Italian seasoning, before broiling. Bread can also be sprinkled lightly with grated fat-free Parmesan cheese before broiling; watch carefully so cheese does not burn.
Your preference of hot or sweet paprika can be used in this recipe.
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup each: sliced onion, zucchini, carrots, green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces no-yolk noodles, cooked, warm
1. Saute vegetables in oil in large skillet until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in flour and paprika; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in broth and heat to boiling; boil, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over noodles.
Per Serving: Calories: 264; % of calories from fat: 17; Fat (gm): 5.2; Saturated fat (gm): 0.7; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Sodium (mg): 119; Protein (gm): 9.6; Carbohydrate (gm): 47.5
Frosted Sugar Cookies
6 dozen cookies (1 per serving)
Rich, crisp, and generously frosted, these cookies will flatter any holiday or special occasion.
- 10 tablespoons margarine, or butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sugar Frosting (recipe follows)
- Ground cinnamon or nutmeg
1. Beat margarine, sour cream, egg, and lemon extract in medium bowl until smooth; mix in powdered sugar. Mix in combined flour, baking powder, and salt. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
2. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes with 2-inch cookie cutters. Bake at 375 degrees on greased cookie sheets until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Frost with Sugar Frosting; sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Makes about 3/4 cup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, or vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons fat-free milk
1. Mix powdered sugar, lemon extract, and enough milk to make the consistency spreadable.
Per Serving: Calories: 48; % of calories from fat: 31; Fat (gm): 1.7; Saturated fat (gm): 0.3; Cholesterol (mg): 3; Sodium (mg): 45; Protein (gm): 0.5; Carbohydrate (gm): 7.7
Excerpted from 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes by Sue Spitler with Linda R. Yoakam. Published by Surrey Books.
WIN THE BOOK! Enter a comment below and you will automatically be entered to win a copy of 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes, edited by Sue Spitler, contributions by Linda R. Yoakam. Winner will be announced November 23. Good luck!
Please email Samantha at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your new book. Thanks to everyone who entered!