There are many ways to minimize the risk of illness and to maximize the quality of life in one’s years. The following list provides 11 ways to age well:
1. Honor the need to reflect on your life and experience since it can be therapeutic.
2. Participate in some form of aerobic exercise like brisk walking which improves heart and lung functioning.
3. Learn an activity like Tai chi or qigong since they improve balance and have been shown to reduce the risk of injuries as a person ages.
4. Weight train to maintain muscle and bone strength.
6. Eat more fruits and vegetables to maintain or improve digestion and to obtain critical nutrients to maintain health.
7. Eat a diet high in nutrient-dense foods and possible supplementation of B vitamins, particularly B12 and folic acid, to lessen the risk of undernourishment.
8. Use medications responsibly.
9. Get involved in your community through continuing education, volunteer work, religious involvement, political activism, and staying in touch with supportive friends and family.
11. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your tissues hydrated.
Of course, there are many other ways to age well, but this list helps you get started. Aging doesn’t have to mean illness or frailty. By staying active, eating a healthy diet, and maintaining involvement with others, you can feel better than ever in the golden years.
Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD.