For years, I’ve been saving egg cartons for my musically-inclined friends — the cartons are supposed to act as a sort of cheap, DIY soundproofing. Well, it turns out that egg cartons are not helpful at all in that arena, and may actually make the noise louder than it would have been otherwise. Uh oh! So what am I to do with the three months worth of egg cartons sitting under my sink? It turns out that there are plenty of options. Click through to read about great ways to reuse egg cartons.
Earlier: 12 Surprising Uses for Cotton Balls
Organizing and Storage.
1. Pack Fragile Ornaments. Keep this one in mind for the holidays. Store your small, delicate ornaments in a tissue paper-lined egg carton for safekeeping.
2. Organize the Junk Drawer and More. Beads, nuts and bolts, office supplies, little toy pieces, jewelry, sewing materials… You name it! Egg cartons are a great cheap and simple way to store all those little things you don’t want to lose.
3. Organize all that Stuff in the Laundry Room. Always finding loose change and other random stuff in clothing pockets? Keep it tracked and sorted by having an egg carton on hand in the laundry room.
4. Easily Store String. If you have some string in a drawer, all too often it ends up unraveling. Remedy that by placing the string on one of the center cones of an egg carton. Make an x-shaped slit at the top of the cone, and run the string through it. Voila — no more unraveling!
Also Check Out: 7 Ways to Treat Bug Bites
Projects & Hobbies.
5. Use as a Paint Palette. Egg cartons are a an easy, cheap substitute for a paint palette.
6. Start Seedlings. Egg cartons are the perfect size for starting seeds
7. Have on Hand When You’re Building Something. Taking apart a computer or building a piece of furniture? Have an egg carton on hand so you can organize all the little pieces. Hey, it beats getting all the way to the end only to realize you’re short one nail!
See Also: 16 Ways to Use Spinach (Slideshow)
More Great Ideas.
8. Cushion Packages. Egg cartons have to protect the fragile eggs, so it’s no surprise that the cartons themselves will help keep other stuff from breaking. You can use egg cartons in lieu of styrofoam packing peanuts
9. Start a Fire. If your’e camping, or even just starting up a grill, egg cartons serve as a great fire starter. Click here for an how-to guide.
10. Transport Deviled Eggs and Fragile Fruit. So you’ve made deviled eggs for a party, and now all you have to do is take them there, without making a mess. It’s easy — just put ‘em back in the egg carton! Egg cartons are also a great way to transport fragile small fruits, like apricots and figs.
11. Make a Mancala Game. Who doesn’t love this age-old game? Make your very own set following these instructions.