12 Uses for Wire Hangers
If you’re anything like Joan Crawford, you really, really, don’t like wire hangers, at least for their intended purpose! But, as much as you’d prefer plastic or wooden hangers, there always seem to be some wire ones around. You can try to take them back to the dry cleaners, sure, but you can also use them for one of the following clever tricks. Read on to discover some awesome ways to reuse wire hangers!
See Also: 10 Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar
Home & Garden
1. Unclog Drains. Use a straightened-out hanger as a quick fix to remove unwanted hairballs from your drain.
2. Pick Locks. Now, we’re not advocating anything illegal here! But if you lock your keys in your (old model) car, poke a straightened-out hanger into the lock and try to jimmy it open. This won’t work on newer cars, though.
3. Get Things Out of Small Spaces. My favorite kitchen knife recently fell in the tiny crack between the stove and the cabinet. I was stumped about how to get it out without, you know, accidentally stabbing myself, until I realized that a wire hanger was just the thing I needed. I flattened it out until it was as long as possible, keeping the hook in place. With just the right amount of graceful movement, my beloved knife was back again!
4. Clean off Wax from Candlesticks. Wire hangers are a great way to get out that pesky gunk.
5. Stake Plants. Use a flattened hanger to give a boost to plants in need.
Earlier: 51 Fantastic Uses for Baking Soda
6. Paper Towel/Toilet Paper Hanger. With the aid of pliers, you can bend a wire hanger to make a paper towel holder! Check out detailed instructions here.
7. Computer/Book Stand. All it takes is 30 seconds to make a sturdy computer, iPad, or book stand. Watch this video for insight into making this awesome DIY project!
Also Check Out: 10 Unusual Uses for Olive Oil
8. Multi-Purpose Hanger. Attach clips or s-hooks to a wire hanger and you’ll be able to hang even more stuff, such as socks, underwear, scarves and small towels.
9. Re-String Sweatpants. Isn’t it the worst when your drawstring gets undone? Well, worry no more with this great trick — on a flattened hanger, make a knot with the string, and carefully guide it through.
11. Roast Marshmallows. Forget the stick — use a flattened hanger to satisfy that s’mores craving.
12. Roast Hot Dogs. Or veggie dogs, or tofu dogs, or whatever.