6. Protects against heart disease: New research published in the journal Atherosclerosis shows that pomegranate improves the body’s ability to synthesize cholesterol and destroy free radicals in the vascular system.
7. Prostate-cancer protection: Research conducted at the University of California, Riverside, and published in the journal Translational Oncology indicates that pomegranate juice and pomegranate extracts caused cancer cell death.
8. Breast-cancer protection: Scientists at the University of California, Riverside, also studied the effects of pomegranate juice and its nutritional components: luteolin, ellagic acid, and punicic acid against breast cancer. They pubished their results in the journal Breast Cancer Research and Treatment and concluded that pomegranate juice and its extracts “are potentially a very effective treatment to prevent cancer progression…”
9. Skin-cancer protection: Consumption of pomegranate was associated with a decrease in both main types of skin cancer—basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, according to new research in the British Journal of Dermatology.
10. DNA-protection: The antioxidants and/or phytonutrients in pomegranates also appear to interact with the body’s genetic material for protection.
Keep reading to discover ways to benefit from pomegranates…